English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 June 2014, 13:45   #41
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusso66 View Post
Does Amikit run on the older G4 Mac Mini or would it need the newer intel based Mac's
I installed it on mine a few months back & it worked.

Sort of slow, but it worked

PZ.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 June 2014, 14:50   #42
drusso66

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
I installed it on mine a few months back & it worked.

Sort of slow, but it worked

PZ.
Thanks for reply, gonna try it out.
Old 19 June 2014, 20:55   #43
ptyerman

Flash key is a bit of a waste of time. It will not boot from the flash drive, just comes up with Amipup.sfs is missing on bootup even though it is there, it will boot from live CD though.
I have tried cloning to 3 USB flash disks, 2 SD cards and a Compact Flash to no avail, same error of missing sfs file. I also tried installing from live CD to the same media with the same results. The same USB keys and flash cards work fine in the live CD environment, so it is not a issue of missing drivers or such.
I haven't tried the different boot options yet I will have a go with them now, but it's odd that it works fine from CD but not from USB, must be a error in the boot files somewhere, will investigate a bit over the next couple of hours.
Old 19 June 2014, 21:02   #44
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
It boots on my HP 650 laptop but although I've got changed the booting options of it, I always have to press Esc when booting to select the booting device.

Not a problem though, and this way I don't boot AmiPUP if I've forgotten the pendrive inserted.
Old 19 June 2014, 21:10   #45
ptyerman

It's F8 on mine for the boot menu, I use it frequently to boot between my Win 7 and Linux installations which are on separate hard drives.
Going to try some Puppy Linux boot options to see if it makes a difference, and also going to try the flash disk on my other PC's. Have never booted Puppy Linux on this PC so not sure if it's a incompatibility there, will try it on the PC I usually boot Puppy Linux and Parted Magic on and see if it works there.

Odd, just tried the flash disk on another PC and it boots fine. At least I know now where the problem lies, I will troubleshoot it a bit tonight. My first thoughts are some sort of incompatibility in the BIOS settings, although I have never had problems booting from USB on this PC, Puppy Linux may be not liking something.
I will experiment a little and report back in case anyone else has the same problems.

Last edited by TCD; 21 June 2014 at 00:38. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 20 June 2014, 01:07   #46
ptyerman

Have given up for now, no settings in the BIOS will get this damn thing to boot from flash disk, it just comes up with the sfs file is missing when it is not. There is obviously some incompatibility with Puppy Linux and this motherboard (ASUS P6T SE), or rather the USB implementation that is on-board. I even tried installing on a IDE hard drive plugged into a USB docking station but it still threw up the same error.
So, if you have the same motherboard as this, don't expect to boot from USB yet.
I'll try and work on the boot files on the flash disk to see if anything can be done there to get this damn thing to boot but I'm not hopeful about it.
Old 21 June 2014, 00:36   #47
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Have given up for now, no settings in the BIOS will get this damn thing to boot from flash disk, it just comes up with the sfs file is missing when it is not. There is obviously some incompatibility with Puppy Linux and this motherboard (ASUS P6T SE), or rather the USB implementation that is on-board. I even tried installing on a IDE hard drive plugged into a USB docking station but it still threw up the same error.
So, if you have the same motherboard as this, don't expect to boot from USB yet.
I'll try and work on the boot files on the flash disk to see if anything can be done there to get this damn thing to boot but I'm not hopeful about it.
Hmmmm, I hope mine works. As I know my chipset (hardware design flaw) has issues with linux and they had to make a kernel patch to get around the issue.
Old 21 June 2014, 00:59   #48
ptyerman

You may have issues by the sound of it. Not had chance to look into it today, but will continue over the weekend. It's definitely something to do with Amipup because it's the first Linux distro I have come across that wont boot from USB on this motherboard. I'm going to download both Slacko and Lupo Puppy tonight and see if the same thing happens with them.
Old 21 June 2014, 11:30   #49
ptyerman

Giving up for now, this thing is a complete waste of time unless you just want a live Puppy CD that looks a bit like Amikit. Have done a full install inside Virtual Box and the Puppy install seems to be working fine, BUT the Amikit part wont even recognize the Amiga Forever DVD or OS3.9 CD and just throws up an error and tells you to contact Amikit.
Think I'll stick to Amithlon with AmigaSYS installed, at least it works as it should.
I wish Dary would continue with AmigaSYS, I prefer it.
Old 21 June 2014, 12:56   #50
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Giving up for now, this thing is a complete waste of time unless you just want a live Puppy CD that looks a bit like Amikit. Have done a full install inside Virtual Box and the Puppy install seems to be working fine, BUT the Amikit part wont even recognize the Amiga Forever DVD or OS3.9 CD and just throws up an error and tells you to contact Amikit.
Think I'll stick to Amithlon with AmigaSYS installed, at least it works as it should.
I wish Dary would continue with AmigaSYS, I prefer it.
It happened the same to me but then I copied the files of Amiga Forever to the Amiga Forever drawer (on the desktop, inside the "Copy source files here" drawer) and then it could make the installation. It's better if you watch this video

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 June 2014, 13:22   #51
ptyerman

The Amiga Forever files are inside the source files drawer, Amikit boots and asks for the Workbench CD for installation but can't/won't find it when inserted, whether it's the real CD/DVD or the iso inserted in the virtual drive.
Doesn't really matter, I don't mind supporting Amiga development even if it won't work here, I can use the USB stick for something else. I will just stick with Amithlon and WinUAE on PC's for now.
I might try eventually to replicate the environment on a Debian base, at least that boots from USB on this motherboard, the advantage there also is I can optimize it for this hardware.

EDIT:
Just updated Virtual Box and now Amikit boots and works in the virtual environment, must have been a bug in Virtual Box. Will continue working on it now, eventually remastering to a DVD with all required files and then trying again to get it to boot from USB.

Last edited by ptyerman; 21 June 2014 at 14:55. Reason: Added some info.
Old 21 June 2014, 15:36   #52
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Although I don't need nor plan to ever use AmiPup on an ongoing basis & really just purchased the USB drive as a keepsake & excuse to make a donation, I did try it out & it worked fine on every PC here.

Shame your hardware isn't compatible

PZ.
Old 21 June 2014, 15:53   #53
ptyerman

Yes it's perplexing. It works fine on 2 other PC's I have tried it on, just not this one which is my main PC. I think it's possibly to do with the kernel Amipup is using, probably too old for this hardware.
I will keep trying different things as they come to mind and report any success here. I downloaded Slacko and Lucid Puppy last night but not tried them yet, will see if I can try them out a bit later.
AdSense AdSense