English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 21 November 2014, 08:33   #41
Jacobjm
 
Posts: n/a
I thinks it is closed.
 
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 November 2014, 16:28   #42
Korodny
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 625
What would be the point in hosting an inofficial BTTR mirror? It wouldn't be any more 'legal' than your average TOSEC archive.

It would make more sense to transfer the unique parts of BTTR to existing offerings.
Korodny is offline  
Old 24 November 2014, 21:32   #43
SunChild
EAB Noobie

SunChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Natori-shi, JAPAN
Age: 42
Posts: 114
Not sure what you meant there. BTTR only contained legal stuff. Hosting an unofficial mirror of legal stuff would be illegal? And then how would it make it any more legal to share parts of those contents anywhere else anyway?

In any case, I don't see no difference between both solutions. As far as I'm concerned, get the exclusive contents from BTTR back online and available to everyone is all that matters.

C'mon Thalion, you can't expect to come bragging here about having a full mirror of an extensive Amiga resource that just went dead... I can't believe the point was just to make everyone else pissed and envious?
Would it be that tough to find a way to share that? (Be it only so you too have someone else to turn to whenever your HDD containing this backup mirror DIES OUT on you -- which _WILL_ happen at some point as you're well aware, right?)
SunChild is offline  
Old 24 November 2014, 21:49   #44
ptyerman
Registered User

ptyerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worksop/UK
Age: 52
Posts: 763
Because the rights to host the software on BTTR belong to BTTR only! Anyone else that puts that software up for download must apply to the respective authors for the right to do so. PD and shareware excluded.
ptyerman is offline  
Old 25 November 2014, 03:45   #45
amiga_Forever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: kkhkj
Posts: 178
I think BTTR knew what they were doing... Hear me out here...

BTTR do a site everyone would love.. lots of great games/demos/legal stuff etc....... (basically BTTR would grab all the fish (aka "us users")

Either accident, or deliberate... (doesn't really matter), BTTR go offline, and never come back...

Outcome? By leaving up the site, but taking down where the files are hosted, users only would crave for this, but cannot get at any. And since the site is locked to redirecting to BTTR, and only them since they also conveniently host legal stuff, the balls in their court, and no one can do anything about it without them.

No one else can host it, without the proper licenses/permission, must be new domain.

So, as a result??, I think BTTR knew exactly what they were doing.... Otherwise there would be constant contact.. Or at the very least their blog would have been kept up-to-date.

Ingenious....... Because its working... All that juicy content just makes me foam at the mouth

Again, this is a long shot, but i'll just stick it out there, coz it IS possible.

Just like for example how people would shut down a forum for example because they the mods don't want to hear the stuff from their users. But that did happen to some site... (can't remember which one)

Last edited by amiga_Forever; 25 November 2014 at 03:53.
amiga_Forever is offline  
Old 25 November 2014, 13:11   #46
SunChild
EAB Noobie

SunChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Natori-shi, JAPAN
Age: 42
Posts: 114
What you're getting at with it?
Like, BTTR staff are gonna come back with a paying version of their website?
Which's a totally ridiculous idea obviously, yet apart from that I really don't see what they would benefit in your scenario...?

@ptyerman: Yeah, I realised after posting that allowance to distribute was granted to BTTR only (another ridiculous system by the way -- who cares WHERE people get this stuff from really, it's either freeware or it's not).
Which doesn't answer my second question regarding Korodny's comment that "it would make more sense to transfer the unique parts of BTTR to existing offerings" though (would be just as illegal, so how does that make more sense anyway?)

All in all, I find Hippie2000 and the BTTR people a bit puzzling: dedicating so much energy and time for so many years, just to disappear this suddenly without neither warning nor comments, explanations, and above all not any proper and serious attempt at fixing the issue and trying to come back online (loosing their host certainly doesn't qualify as good enough an excuse for that!!).
Might indicate they realised with this issue that they just haven't got the will to keep it alive anymore (which is despicable in my opinion -- when you operate an important resource website to many people and for so long, you have like a moral obligation and responsability towards your users! If you tire of managing it or just don't have the time/energy for it, you either pass the torch to a new site manager or you give all the data to someone willing to continue sharing it!!!)

All that said, I'm gonna PM Thalion soon, seeing as apparently he didn't plan on checking this thread anymore to reply...
SunChild is offline  
Old 25 November 2014, 14:59   #47
Korodny
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunChild View Post
Not sure what you meant there. BTTR only contained legal stuff. Hosting an unofficial mirror of legal stuff would be illegal?
BTTR was 'legal' because it had licenses from copyright owners to offer the software for download. These licenses were BTTR specific, they software hadn't become Freeware just because it was available from BTTR. Nobody else is entitled to host the 'legal' stuff from BTTR on his own server.

Quote:
And then how would it make it any more legal to share parts of those contents anywhere else anyway?
I wasn't talking about making anything legal - if whatever you do is not legal anyway, don't bother trying to make a copy of BTTR - just add whatever software is missing to TOSEC or some other archive, make the information from the game database available in ASCII/PDF/whatever form and host the WinUAE configuration files somewhere.

Quote:
I think BTTR knew exactly what they were doing.... Otherwise there would be constant contact.. Or at the very least their blog would have been kept up-to-date.
There's no "they" anymore, and the remaining administrator probably doesn't have as much spare time and motivation as he had 15 years ago. BTTR went dormant for longer periods several times in the past.

This time, the domain seems to be gone, the admin probably just doesn't care enough anymore to fix that.
Korodny is offline  
Old 25 November 2014, 15:08   #48
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland
Age: 39
Posts: 637
Yup, preserve what ever unique software they had at least.
Adrian Browne is offline  
Old 25 November 2014, 15:44   #49
SunChild
EAB Noobie

SunChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Natori-shi, JAPAN
Age: 42
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
These licenses were BTTR specific, they software hadn't become Freeware just because it was available from BTTR. Nobody else is entitled to host the 'legal' stuff from BTTR on his own server.
Yup, I got that. As I said, I can't imagine anything dumber than such a moronic rule, "Free to download from WhoeverItIs but still not freeware"... Hahaha, are people really /expected/ to take such laws seriously? What about "You're allowed to download this stuff on the EXCLUSIVE condition that you wear a mustache and bright yellow leotard with red dots and tutu"?
That it is the law doesn't mean shit to me when it's also completely idiotic. My point being: owner agrees his stuff to be freeware or they don't. Trying yo have it half-way like this doesn't make the least bit of fuckin' sense.


Quote:
I wasn't talking about making anything legal - if whatever you do is not legal anyway, don't bother trying to make a copy of BTTR - just add whatever software is missing to TOSEC or some other archive, make the information from the game database available in ASCII/PDF/whatever form and host the WinUAE configuration files somewhere.
Alright then, put that way I have to agree with you that it would be the best way. But honestly I don't care much about what way it would be made available again, as long that it actually would.


Quote:
There's no "they" anymore, and the remaining administrator probably doesn't have as much spare time and motivation as he had 15 years ago. BTTR went dormant for longer periods several times in the past. This time, the domain seems to be gone, the admin probably just doesn't care enough anymore to fix that.
Cf. my post above. He's oviously 100% entitled to have lost all motivation towards his site. That still doesn't make it morally right to just give it all up without finding a way to preserve distribution. Even less so considering that stupid law which makes him the only legal distributor of what content BTTR contained -- if anything, that makes Hippie2000 RESPONSIBLE to pass it over to someone who will actually still give a fuck about sharing it with the community! And pardon my french (I am french, after all! I'm expected to be swearing, aren't I? )
SunChild is offline  
Old 25 November 2014, 17:48   #50
Korodny
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunChild View Post
That it is the law doesn't mean shit to me when it's also completely idiotic.
But at the same time, you expect Hippie2000 to obey some obscure rules about responsibilities and moral obligations you just made up?

The guy provided a very good (and free) service to the community for more than a decade, let's cut him some slack. Yeah, the departure could have been handled better - so what. It's 2014, and it's not like it's hard to find whatever Amiga stuff you're looking for. If everything else fails, post a request to EAB and half a day later somebody uploads what you need.
Korodny is offline  
Old 25 November 2014, 23:25   #51
Bobic
Junior Member
Bobic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Germany
Age: 41
Posts: 103
Hi everyone,

it's nice to hear that BTTR is still in your mind and keep you interested! That feels really great after all those years!

I've founded BTTR back in 1998 together with Hippie2000 and this project was and still is an important part of my life. We spent so much time in that baby... But as most of you might know and might be able to understand, more important things appear in your life when you're getting older (family, building a house, etc. - not enough spare time any more to maintain such a big site). So I had to keep my focus on other things...

Today I visited EAB again and noticed this thread. I didn't know what happened to back2roots.org, so I contacted Hippie2000, who has always been the tech guy in our team. Now I know what's going on and I'm up-to-date again.

What I can say is, that BTTR is still alive. As ADz already mentioned http://back2roots.abime.net/ is the new address. Hippie2000 will also bring everything back online what's currently missing. So stay tuned!

Also I'd like to send greetings over to RCK, Akira and all other old mates! Thanks for your support, your help and nice to see that you're still alive and kicking!
Bobic is offline  
Old 25 November 2014, 23:38   #52
huepper
Registered User

huepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GDR
Age: 42
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobic View Post
Hi everyone,

it's nice to hear that BTTR is still in your mind and keep you interested! That feels really great after all those years!

I've founded BTTR back in 1998 together with Hippie2000 and this project was and still is an important part of my life. We spent so much time in that baby... But as most of you might know and might be able to understand, more important things appear in your life when you're getting older (family, building a house, etc. - not enough spare time any more to maintain such a big site). So I had to keep my focus on other things...

Today I visited EAB again and noticed this thread. I didn't know what happened to back2roots.org, so I contacted Hippie2000, who has always been the tech guy in our team. Now I know what's going on and I'm up-to-date again.

What I can say is, that BTTR is still alive. As ADz already mentioned http://back2roots.abime.net/ is the new address. Hippie2000 will also bring everything back online what's currently missing. So stay tuned!

Also I'd like to send greetings over to RCK, Akira and all other old mates! Thanks for your support, your help and nice to see that you're still alive and kicking!
Nice to hear from you, thanks for your statement.
We love BTTR!

greetings from Germany
huepper is offline  
Old 26 November 2014, 16:37   #53
SunChild
EAB Noobie

SunChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Natori-shi, JAPAN
Age: 42
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobic View Post
Hi everyone,

it's nice to hear that BTTR is still in your mind and keep you interested! That feels really great after all those years!
[...]
What I can say is, that BTTR is still alive. As ADz already mentioned http://back2roots.abime.net/ is the new address. Hippie2000 will also bring everything back online what's currently missing. So stay tuned!
Following this great statement, I can only thank you loads Bobic for coming here and reassure us all about BTTR's fate.
As you saw here (and let me tell you a least a dozen other Amiga places around the web reacted in similar ways), YES the Amiga community still cares very much about your baby!! I certainly speak a LOT of people's mind when I say that BTTR is always an important of the current Amiga landscape on the net, and its seeming disappearance could but provoke an emotional response (I particularly speak for myself here! )

Might I add that, should Hippie2000 had taken the time to drop this tiny wee bit of info that he wasn't in fact letting it all down go to the drain without even a look back (like some of us hurried to conclude -- and I'm certainly more guilty than anyone of it), some harsh comments, dicted by frustration and disappointment to see such a precious Amiga resource falling into limbo like so many before it, would have been spared (once again, guilty as charged here).

In my defense, I would say this: like countless others, I'm an ardent and long-time Amiga fan, who still cares much about what is still standing today for me as the greatest micro-comp-... Fuck that: the greatest COMPUTER ever conceived, period.
Of course the Amiga scene is nothing like what it was, but there still IS a scene of sorts. Any sign of that scene (or part of it) being endangered and I draw my claws out! Can't just seem to be ready and let go of my Amiga addiction is my only crime.

Well, in any case your post makes my day, and I can't wait to have the content all back.
So a lot many cheers and hails to you & Hippie2000 + long live BTTR!
-- SunChild

Last edited by SunChild; 26 November 2014 at 20:44.
SunChild is offline  
Old 29 November 2014, 16:08   #54
Thierry
 
Posts: n/a
WOW , thats is a GOOD News !


Thanks Bobic and Hippie2000 to put online soon these essential resources !


Best regards

From Argentina

Thierry
 
Old 08 January 2015, 10:36   #55
Washac
Junior Member
Washac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: UK Southern End
Posts: 479
Great news indeed
Washac is offline  
Old 08 January 2015, 10:38   #56
Washac
Junior Member
Washac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: UK Southern End
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchild

I'm an ardent and long-time Amiga fan, who still cares much about what is still standing today for me as the greatest micro-comp-... Fuck that: the greatest COMPUTER ever conceived, period.
Have to second this sentiment
Washac is offline  
Old 08 January 2015, 19:20   #57
Korodny
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 625
Is anybody able to download anything from there? I only see the advertisements, but the download never starts. Might very well be my (heavily modified) Firefox, just thought I'd ask before I start installing other browsers.
Korodny is offline  
Old 08 January 2015, 19:42   #58
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 44
Posts: 10,241
I can't download anything, though txt files for e.g. for cheats seems to work.
Retro-Nerd is offline  
Old 08 January 2015, 21:53   #59
Washac
Junior Member
Washac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: UK Southern End
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
Is anybody able to download anything from there? I only see the advertisements, but the download never starts. Might very well be my (heavily modified) Firefox, just thought I'd ask before I start installing other browsers.
It does actually say this on the page...............

BTTR is currently work in progess, services are only partially active. Check our Site-Blog for more info!
Washac is offline  
Old 09 January 2015, 02:14   #60
Korodny
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
It does actually say this on the page...............

BTTR is currently work in progess, services are only partially active. Check our Site-Blog for more info!
That message has been there since the last down time, IIRC.

Thanks for confirming it's not just me, guys.
Korodny is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amiga.org is down? Bloodwych Amiga scene 3 10 August 2012 01:18
back2roots.org server crash - partly fixed hippie2000 News 1 14 May 2009 02:50
RFC: SPS/CAPS @ back2roots ? hippie2000 project.SPS (was CAPS) 29 07 November 2007 00:25
Amiga.org down? alexh Amiga scene 10 05 April 2007 00:40
back2roots ftp 2000 listing limit rockersuke support.Other 0 19 February 2007 19:54

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.26460 seconds with 12 queries