English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 01 May 2014, 02:59   #41
amigo-mexicano
Amiga's Power!

Akira, please share your startup-sequence with us.

Thanks in advance!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 May 2014, 12:55   #42
Akira

I will later today, but don't expect it to be pretty, haha
Old 01 May 2014, 13:10   #43
tolkien
AmigaMan

I have playing with it this morning and It's simply fantastic. Very good work mates.
Old 01 May 2014, 13:57   #44
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
That just makes the setup/running progress of PT-1210 more complex, unnecessarily. As it is right now it's fire and forget, and I'd love it to stay that way.

Asking people to pre-analyze their mods is a no-no. As you can see above, someone is even getting problems running this from the CLI.
PT-1210 does pre-analyzing/setup/running progress already. I didn`t mean that the user have to analyze each mod. This should and is done by PT-1210. My intention was to make more easier to use.

Quote:
What is so complicated about copying software (one file) to C: or modules path, then fill directory with modules?
Copy to C: or somewhere else in path is ok. To modules path is very bad style. The main problem I don`t like is that you need to copy/move modules.

I understand that there is too much different amiga hardware and configuration to have one simple solution. Someone will use two A600 with just HD. Next use two A1200 with 060 power with a lot of Ram.
Old 01 May 2014, 14:20   #45
Akira

The fact is that it's really easy to use. As you said, PT-1210 already does the analyzing. No need to do it separately. And still don't see the advantage of it.

I still don't understand your problem. Move modules from where? You don't need to move them or copy them anywhere. Just CD to the dir with the modules you want and invoke PT-1210. If it is in your path, it will read them.

Amiga configs don't make any difference unless we're talking about 1.x floppy setups. Those don't work.
Old 04 May 2014, 18:54   #46
demether

Hi,

First thank you for this great piece of software. For now, I plan to use it inside my linux home studio setting (plugging the a1200 inside sound card line in), and then use my MIDI controllers to mix it with my other softwares.

But of course, that's my short-term plan. I'm so enthusiast about this software that I'd like to buy another real amiga, and use them the way the software has been designed, with one mixer and 2 amigas. I will have to find a cheap a1200, since I readed that it was best to not mix diferent models together ?

Concerning the program itself, I'd be happy to have even shorter loops than 1 step loops (to make these funny aphex twin style breaks), and on my machine, I cannot mute 2 (or more) tracks simultaneously. It would be cool to do this.

Another thing : it would be cool if you could post (pdf maybe) your functions stencils (wich we can see on your videos) you put on your amigas.

Last thing wich would be cool, having the BPM shown in the "mods crate" windows, and maybe some kind of crates organisation functionality (even some kind of xml-like sheet inside the drawer). It would be easier for large mods collections.

Otherwise, one of the best amiga programs seen for ages. Thank you. I'll contribute as soon as possible.

Last edited by demether; 04 May 2014 at 23:46.
Old 05 May 2014, 19:29   #47
remute

Absolutely fantastic software! Rock solid, super stable, wow!
Great work!

I've used my two Amiga 600s last weekend in the club and recorded a mix. : )
--->
http://soundcloud.com/remute/remute-in-the-mix-with-2-x

Old 06 May 2014, 16:23   #48
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but nice work with the Starter mod packs, they sound awesome guys!

I have yet to try out PT1210 but will do this weekend, i have an A1200 and a A600 here plus i think i have an old mixing board packed away somewhere, could be a lot of fun

Edit- Hoffman your Krunk'd mod from that PT1210 video is utterly awesome, i just found it on Soundcloud, sounds epic for an Amiga

Last edited by hansel75; 07 May 2014 at 16:05.
Old 06 May 2014, 18:02   #49
Akira

Hey demether:

Quote:
Originally Posted by demether View Post
I will have to find a cheap a1200, since I readed that it was best to not mix diferent models together ?
This is not necessarily true. There are differences in the sound of the A600 but they can be fixed, and the slight timing discrepancies btween the two are a non issue, the difference is tiny and you can correct the tempo if needs be if something goes out of sync. Yoou know, vinyl decks don't stay in sync either

Quote:
I cannot mute 2 (or more) tracks simultaneously. It would be cool to do this.
This is a limitation of the A1200 keyboard hardware. It works fine on other Amigas. There's no fix for this ;(

Quote:
It would be cool if you could post (pdf maybe) your functions stencils (wich we can see on your videos) you put on your amigas.
I know, I'm working on it!

Quote:
having the BPM shown in the "mods crate" windows
YOu mea nthe BPM of the curently playung tune? Because the BPM of modules appears there.

As for organizing, you can sort by BPM or by alphabetical order.

I don't recommend huge mod collections in one folder as I mentioned before and there's an actual limit of 200 per directory. Read the previous posts for explanation.

I'll post the startup sequence later, I just forgot an I am abroad.
Old 06 May 2014, 18:50   #50
demether

Thanks for the answers !

Today I made a test for the first time : inputing the amiga inside my PC (linux) soundcard (line input), so I could mix it with internal software (thru Jack and Ardour, probably) and use my midi mixing controller.

I noticed that my amiga 1200 sound level (or gain?) is very loud. I have to put it almost at 0 in the audio settings, and even like this it still a lot louder than my soundcard output. Does every amiga "sounds" loud like this ?

Maybe a sound level option inside your software would be a nice feature, but I don't know if a lot of other people will need this, or if it will do the same on every sound card. I also didn't made fine tuning with a mixer software, so I just say what I first discovered plugin the amiga inside the soundcard.

Last thing, about the keyboard limitation : maybe the keyboard "matrix" would allow another key simultaneous combination ? I'm pretty sure that Function keys can be pushed simultaneously (I have to verify). Maybe you could swap the loop keys to 1-0 keys and put the trigger functions to the F1-f4 keys ?

thanks again.
Old 06 May 2014, 19:06   #51
h0ffman

Amiga sound power HOUSE!! YEAH!!! Seriously though, you would control the gains on your analog DJ mixer usually.

With the simultaneous keyboard issue, I wrote a small application which shows lines on screen when keys are pressed. We were unable to find an adequate place for the 4 channel mutes to go as they need to be all together. Maybe we'll do some digging soon to see what can be done.

Fired up the code today for the first time since Revision. Currently trying to battle out the Kickstart 1.2 / 1.3 bug for now. If anyone wants to help, surf over to the coders sections of the forum.
Old 06 May 2014, 19:49   #52
demether

thanks for your answer,

Concerning the gain "problem" I have, I know it's a very uncommon setup. My goal is to mix everything "soft" (Ardour maybe) and control with midi controllers (no external audio mixing).

But that's a provisional setup ! As soon as I can afford, I'll buy a 2nd amiga (a600 or better, a a1200, since if I understood correctly, the 2 things important in PT1210 are chip memory available and kickstart version, at least for now ?) and a DJ mixer.

I stopped vinyl turntables mixing 10years ago and tracking around 15years ago...Now I'm using a linux low latency setup, digital djing mostly, even if I also bought Renoise tracker. But I wanted to try to integrate my amiga inside this "full digital" setup, as at least a proof of concept.

Last edited by demether; 06 May 2014 at 20:17.
Old 10 May 2014, 19:21   #53
Akira

I used "soft mixing" in my first tests (like here: [ Show youtube player ] )
I had no problems with the gain, have you checked your soundcard settings? Perhaps you have the input set as "microphone" therefore it's boosting the line level signal too much.
Old 10 May 2014, 20:53   #54
demether

Weird !

Tommorow I'll save my data and install Ubuntu Studio 14 LTS, with a proper Jack and production audio installation, and make another try. I've got 2 midi controllers (one MPD clone, and a DJ oriented KDJ500 controller) a decent audio card and all. I guess the only thing I don't have is technical knowledge. LOL

THanks !
Old 13 June 2014, 11:57   #55
LamptonWorm

Wow, this software is awesome running on WinUAE atm but A600 coming back out of storage soon.

Are you planning a MK2? I bet you have a long list of ideas, some bits I thought up while jamming on this last night...

- a button to quick-snap back to the original BPM
- ability to mark a BPM point then jump to that on demand
- vinyl stop, i.e. a quick stop, not immediate audio cut off, say 1 second to slow BPM to zero and stop track
- vinyl style reverse button
- vinyl style forward spin button
- track solo (and unmute-all etc)
- not sure if the filter can be used somehow, globally
- ability with one Amiga to load another mod while one is playing then quickly swap to that mod to allow continued play with one PT 1210
- "auto crab" button that cuts audio in/out at a predetermined rate i.e. every other line to get a cross fader/stutter type effect

Just thoughts. Love the software.

Cheers,
LW.

Old 13 June 2014, 14:11   #56
Akira

Some of your ideas are feasible, some aren't, but nice feedback man! I'll add some of this to the wishlist.

Glad you enjoy.
Old 08 May 2015, 02:31   #57
tEiS

hah cool stuff!! .. i've heard about it .. never seen it in action yet, though!
i'm gonna try this out someday .. i bet ima have alots of fun spinnin mods

bringin up djing feeling again .. wheeee . . ..

spinnin mods with h0ffmann back 2 back .. yay .. on 4 amigas ..

Old 10 May 2015, 01:37   #58
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by tEiS View Post
spinnin mods with h0ffmann back 2 back .. yay .. on 4 amigas ..
We were gonna do something like this with h0ffman at Sundown 2014 but we never managed in the end
Old 10 December 2015, 21:57   #59
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Hey Akira, can I ask you about having your PT-1210 Protracker Digital Turntable Software included in my next update of my distro, running from WB?

We are almost in Christmas you know, and also the spirit of the Amiga family. You know I've been asking for a couple of years and I really like your program.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10 December 2015, 22:11   #60
Akira

I don't understand why it is so hard to respect my decision over how the software I made with my friend is distributed. Also why you have to post publicly about it and make some reference to a certain "spirit" I obviously not share, after I repeatedly told you I don't want it to be distributed in your Workbench package. Is it for leverage or to make me feel guilty? It doesn't work and I would appreciate if you would stop being so aggressive about this matter.

If you like the software so much as you say, point people to our site where they can download it for free and understand and see the software in the context is meant to be seen, not as some weird "module player" launched from Workbench in some sort of Workbench installation pack.

If a professional-grade, well thought out, feature-packed software released for free to everyone isn't in the "Amiga spirit", we clearly have very different views of what this "Spirit" should be.

Anyone that wants the software can go to http://pt1210.kikencorp.com and download it as well as other goodies like the "module crates" we prepared for you. You can also download it from Pouet.net or scene.org's Revision 2014 archive. It's free and it's cool. Merry Christmas?
AdSense AdSense