English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 19 April 2014, 23:34   #1
amiman99
Registered User

amiman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Age: 43
Posts: 703
"Marco Gregorio's Adventures to Unusual Places" Released - finally

A Backbone game "Marco Gregorio's Adventures to Unusual Places" is released for your enjoyment.
The game features 5 levels, 3 of them are location levels and 2 are walking levels.
The music has been used from Sound Terrific MOD compilation with author credits acknowledged in the game.
Tiles and sprites were created be me, my friend and heavily modified Cammy tiles.
Sound FX are made by me and some are from Backbone.

The game was tested on A1200 68030 50MHz and it runs fine.

To install the game, just decompress it to HD and click on Marco icon.

Few tips and quirks:
1. Because there is a small problem with Backbone when you die over "Danger Area" like water, you will respawn to the beginning of a level and restart. So, you need to finish the level w/o dieing.
2. I limited fire/throw axe speed, so it's harder to kill enemies, you can't just blast through enemies.
3. You need to collect all items before advancing to the next level.
4. In the Mayan level not all gates open.
5. I used the same fire button to Throw and Open Doors, I found out that assigning keyboard press to open the Door was disrupting the flow of the game. So, you can't shoot next to the door, you need to move away some before shooting.


Link is here and I hope it works.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0q1p8bbpdbvsdw/marco.lha

and test CD32 version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzkrspdn9w...marco-5-31.iso

Enjoy.

Last edited by amiman99; 31 May 2014 at 23:46.
amiman99 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 April 2014, 16:13   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 37
Posts: 17,373
Thanks.
Someone recorded gameplay [ Show youtube player ] Title music is well-known ancient module.
s2325 is offline  
Old 21 April 2014, 21:30   #3
amiman99
Registered User

amiman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Age: 43
Posts: 703
I watched his gameplay and looks like he has some problems jumping over the water in the second level. I promise that you CAN MAKE the jump. On the third level there are some spots with the same distance and both can be jumped over but the timing must be perfect.

As far as the music, I think everyone will recognize the music from the 3rd level.

The link to download the game was changed, so please update your links.

Last edited by amiman99; 22 April 2014 at 02:33.
amiman99 is offline  
Old 22 April 2014, 20:13   #4
Nostromo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The World!
Posts: 408
Just tried the game, looks neat- but is it normal to slowdown so much when the screen gets slightly busy?
Nostromo is offline  
Old 22 April 2014, 21:45   #5
meckert
Registered User

meckert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
A Backbone game "Marco Gregorio's Adventures to Unusual Places" is released for your enjoyment.
The game features 5 levels, 3 of them are location levels and 2 are walking levels.
The music has been used from Sound Terrific MOD compilation with author credits acknowledged in the game.
Tiles and sprites were created be me, my friend and heavily modified Cammy tiles.
Sound FX are made by me and some are from Backbone.

The game was tested on A1200 68030 50MHz and it runs fine.

To install the game, just decompress it to HD and click on Marco icon.

Few tips and quirks:
1. Because there is a small problem with Backbone when you die over "Danger Area" like water, you will respawn to the beginning of a level and restart. So, you need to finish the level w/o dieing.
2. I limited fire/throw axe speed, so it's harder to kill enemies, you can't just blast through enemies.
3. You need to collect all items before advancing to the next level.
4. In the Mayan level not all gates open.
5. I used the same fire button to Throw and Open Doors, I found out that assigning keyboard press to open the Door was disrupting the flow of the game. So, you can't shoot next to the door, you need to move away some before shooting.


Link is here and I hope it works.
https://www.copy.com/s/Yoa8sTgApTiu2meN/marco.lha

Enjoy.

Could you put it in The Zone ? Or somwhere where I could download it with Ibrowse ?
meckert is offline  
Old 22 April 2014, 22:04   #6
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 37
Posts: 17,373
It's in the Zone now.
s2325 is offline  
Old 22 April 2014, 22:33   #7
amiman99
Registered User

amiman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Age: 43
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Just tried the game, looks neat- but is it normal to slowdown so much when the screen gets slightly busy?
It's possible, especially with weaker processors.
amiman99 is offline  
Old 26 May 2014, 13:10   #8
Cammy
Registered User
Cammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 1,134
I love it! I haven't finished the game yet but I'm getting close, I might be able to finish it the next time I play. Unfortunately I did lose a few lives in the same spot as the player in the video. I found it best to temporarily switch to using the keyboard to run and jump over the water rather than my control pad. I suppose it would be easier with a joystick or with a jump button.

You've done such a great job, I'm so glad you put so much effort in, the level design is very professional. I'm still working on my Backbone games but still haven't finished a single one, but I hope that Rebel and I can release our current game by International Amiga Day on the 31st.
Cammy is offline  
Old 27 May 2014, 18:01   #9
amiman99
Registered User

amiman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Age: 43
Posts: 703
Thanks for the kind words.
I just tried the run level again and I was able to jump over it using the joystick, I guess I'm used to it.

Now, the last level is a tough one, even I have a tough time passing it.

BTW, Can't wait to see your game.
amiman99 is offline  
Old 31 May 2014, 23:50   #10
amiman99
Registered User

amiman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Age: 43
Posts: 703
I changed the download links to Dropbox and added test version that runs on CD32. Because the CD32 is slower then my A1200, I had to change the screen to a smaller one and removed the animated water.
I remapped the buttons on CD32 to:
RED = shoot
BLUE = Jump
GREEN = open doors

Burn and Enjoy
amiman99 is offline  
Old 01 June 2014, 20:08   #11
kkgarbod
The Human/Gray Hybrid

kkgarbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane
Posts: 294
Played it a bit today, and it's very nice

did a HD "install" and upped it to the zone, works under both winuae and fs-uae (using the a1200 config in both, and it's setup to autoboot into the game)
kkgarbod is offline  
Old 01 June 2014, 21:01   #12
amiman99
Registered User

amiman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Age: 43
Posts: 703
I noticed that the WinUAE in CD32 configuration is running FASTER then the real CD32, so if the game runs fine in the emulator it doesn't mean it will run the same on the real hardware.
I wished that there was a setting to reflect real limitations of the hardware, that would ease the testing and save me some CDRs.
amiman99 is offline  
Old 01 June 2014, 21:09   #13
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 37
Posts: 17,373
Yes, I think Fears is faster and more smooth with WinUAE.
s2325 is offline  
Old 11 July 2014, 19:57   #14
amiman99
Registered User

amiman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Age: 43
Posts: 703
I was wondering if anyone was able to successfully finished the game on Amiga and Amiga CD32.

Any thoughts, comments?
Thanks.
amiman99 is offline  
Old 17 October 2014, 16:52   #15
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

hipoonios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sweden
Age: 39
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
I was wondering if anyone was able to successfully finished the game on Amiga and Amiga CD32.

Any thoughts, comments?
Thanks.
Not on Amiga or CD32. But with WinUAE.

Thank you for the game, I really liked it

[ Show youtube player ]
hipoonios is offline  
Old 17 October 2014, 19:24   #16
nobody
Registered User

nobody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: GR
Age: 40
Posts: 724
Nice game indeed. Looking good and has great music too.
nobody is offline  
Old 18 October 2014, 00:01   #17
amiman99
Registered User

amiman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Age: 43
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Not on Amiga or CD32. But with WinUAE.

Thank you for the game, I really liked it

[ Show youtube player ]
Thanks for the long play!
amiman99 is offline  
Old 18 October 2014, 04:32   #18
earok
Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,429
Just FYI, I'm including it on a CD32 PD collection for AmiWest (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75404).

Will let you know how it goes when I test it on a real CD32.
earok is offline  
Old 18 October 2014, 08:58   #19
clenched
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gainesville U.S.A.
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
I was wondering if anyone was able to successfully finished the game on Amiga and Amiga CD32.

Any thoughts, comments?
Thanks.
Same as hipoonios, finished a long time ago on WinUAE. Game mapped too. There was no HOL entry for this game so it wasn't reported.
clenched is online now  
Old 14 March 2015, 05:42   #20
TjLaZer
Registered User
TjLaZer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA USA
Age: 45
Posts: 1,080
Nice game!!!
TjLaZer is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Reminder "Lincs Amiga User Group aka "LAG" Meet Sat 5th of January 2013" rockape News 4 30 January 2013 00:06
CD32 Image-Name-Bug: "...(bla)[!].zip" -> "...(bla)[" / "...[test].zip" -> "...[tes" cfTrio support.WinUAE 8 18 December 2012 16:31
Blue Metal Rose "Seedless life" FINALLY OUT - 1 Song free for EAB members viddi Amiga scene 31 28 August 2010 10:40
ScummVM 1.0.0 "Shiny Logo" is finally out Dizzy News 0 17 November 2009 20:24
Problems with "Thespywholovedme", "Flood", "Shinobi" sareks support.Games 12 03 May 2006 14:52

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.22344 seconds with 12 queries