English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 April 2014, 21:11   #21
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Yes, if you add the Workbench.library of OS3.9 the icons are ok. The only problem is that you can't add a copyrighted workbench.library in an update. Edit: Scalos also shows those icons right.

Why do you use BW in Tools? It crashes if I try to open almost whatever. Dopus 4.17pre20 of AmiKit works great instead.

What Jbnam said about a request about some file missing in Env is true. I found it when I changed the background, saying it coudn't save env/preferences... but it was saved anyway. There is some other similar request about env too but I don't remember where. Edit: Ups, I didn't read your answer sorry.
Workbench.library 45.127 is copyrighted but it is freely available. Anyone can download BoingBag#1 and decompress using its password. There is no one stopping you to do that, and that is completely legal

What do you mean by "BW"?

BTW, Dopus 4.17pre20 requires at least a 68020 and 1 or 2MB of ram. So its a definately no for this package.

Perhaps you meant DW?

DirWork works beautifully. If not, you must have something wrong in your system. It is one of the least resource hungry filemanagers out there, and it is highly configurable. It uses about 70KB of memory and works without trouble on an unexpanded A500.

Last edited by TCD; 21 April 2014 at 15:07. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 April 2014, 22:25   #22
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Workbench.library 45.127 is copyrighted but it is freely available. Anyone can download BoingBag#1 and decompress using its password. There is no one stopping you to do that, and that is completely legal

What do you mean by "BW"?

BTW, Dopus 4.17pre20 requires at least a 68020 and 1 or 2MB of ram. So its a definately no for this package.

Yes, it was a typo, it's DW. It crashed before, but not now. You are right what you say about Dopus for your install, so better if DW works right. I will install Dopus anyway for a 030 accelerated A1200.

As long as BB1 asks you for a password, that means its hidden files are copyrighted, at least for me.
Old 18 April 2014, 22:31   #23
tomse
We need more scans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
I re-tested the archive, doing a clean install and there is nothing wrong, I cannot get that "Directory locked" issue. It is something you have on your own setup, perhaps you altered something.
thanks for testing, my setup isn't a clean one.. so there could be some other stuff.

thanks ;-)
Old 19 April 2014, 01:14   #24
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Yes, it was a typo, it's DW. It crashed before, but not now. You are right what you say about Dopus for your install, so better if DW works right. I will install Dopus anyway for a 030 accelerated A1200.

As long as BB1 asks you for a password, that means its hidden files are copyrighted, at least for me.
Yes, Dopus is a good choice for a 68030 based Amiga 1200.

You are missunderstanding concepts. All BetterWB/Amikit or whatever distro out there, is full of copyrighted files. Then there is a distribution/use license (sometimes EULA) that tells you under which conditions you may use and/or distribute a program. It is not what I think or you think, but what the copyright holder stated. Read the BoingBag documentation, and you will find out it is not ilegal to download it and use it (that was in fact its intended purpose).
Old 21 April 2014, 13:10   #25
ma693541
Computer Wizard

BetterWB 3.6 now integrated in Cloanto's Amiga Forever. Just a quick hack by me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BetterWB.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	39764  
Old 21 April 2014, 13:31   #26
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
BetterWB 3.6 now integrated in Cloanto's Amiga Forever. Just a quick hack by me.
Cool
Old 21 April 2014, 14:24   #27
tomse
We need more scans!

I've been working on getting the OS3.1 part of my A4000 up running today.
BW3.6 was integrated right away.

though when checking for accelerators and setting up, it seems that it copies CPU40 even though it's a 060 processor (phase5) (which could do better with CPU60)
also it uses the older 68060.library 46.7 rather than the newer 46.15. http://phase5.a1k.org/index.php?driverslibraries
Old 21 April 2014, 21:43   #28
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomse View Post
I've been working on getting the OS3.1 part of my A4000 up running today.
BW3.6 was integrated right away.

though when checking for accelerators and setting up, it seems that it copies CPU40 even though it's a 060 processor (phase5) (which could do better with CPU60)
also it uses the older 68060.library 46.7 rather than the newer 46.15. http://phase5.a1k.org/index.php?driverslibraries
The cpu libraries work this way:
68040.library is in fact, a loader that detects wether the cpu is a 68060 or 68040. If a 68040 is found it will load the cpu40.library if a 68060 is found it will load 68060.library.

So there is nothing wong in installing cpu40.library, it is there just in case you are one of those users that swap cpus, but anyway, it wont harm your system.

Regarding the version numbers I thought it was the best choice to use last official versions. But if you think it is better, I will include the one you pointed out.

Let me know what you think, and thank you for your comments.
Old 21 April 2014, 21:58   #29
tomse
We need more scans!

I think the latest 68060.library is the best to use ;-)

I think you're mistaking the cpu040 executable with the 68040.library..

but what you're installing (as far as I could see) was the cpu040 on my 68060 system, and since there is a cpu060.... you know :-)

tbh I don't use it, but someone might ;-)
Old 21 April 2014, 23:07   #30
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
I think the latest 68060.library is the best to use ;-)
Consider it done for next version.

Quote:
I think you're mistaking the cpu040 executable with the 68040.library..

but what you're installing (as far as I could see) was the cpu040 on my 68060 system, and since there is a cpu060.... you know :-)

tbh I don't use it, but someone might ;-)
You are talking about the cpu command? If that is the case, the problem lies that there isnt a cpu command that covers the entire amiga range of cpus. The closest I īve seen is the one from 3.9, but even that one has 68000 support missing. I could include the cpu060 if you find it handy when an accelerator is detected. Let me know if you really use this command, and I will pack it in
Old 21 April 2014, 23:19   #31
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I think you should implement a game launcher for the next version; the less demanding of course. We use OS's mainly for playing games you know, so it is necessary under my point of view.
Old 21 April 2014, 23:28   #32
tomse
We need more scans!

@gulliver..
I don't use the cpu060 command.. so.. save the space

hmm can't say I've spent alot playing games on my amigas..
it's been more installing/prepping than playing games..

specially today when I've spent the whole day installing and setting up..
and then some moron partitions the wrong harddrive...

good thing someone put an ABackup in a certain pack XD and I used it :-)

atleast I only need to reinstall OS4.1, and update it. then get ABackup to work
Old 21 April 2014, 23:41   #33
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Well, in fact you are true, but that must be just coincidence. I don't play almost anything, but I believe the most of us do. In fact I believe he should implement not only a game launcher, but also a music player; both the less demanding/best. Of course it would be also easy to ask in the installer if you want them or not. Just an opinion of course.
Old 22 April 2014, 00:35   #34
gulliver
BoingBagged

@Retrofan

Well, I have thought lots of time about that. The problem seems to be that everyone uses its own way to acomplish this: some use only whdload, others have their own enviroment set specially for games, and others use some custom launchers, other download entire game packs, etc.

I still havent made up my mind on which solution would be best to offer, and if it is reasonable at all to offer something like that or if I should let the user do his/her will.

About the music player, I have eyes layed on HippoPlayer, but will see

@tomse

I must say I am on your boat too. I play few Amiga games, and spend most of my time on applications/workbench enviroment.

I know the feeling of frustration when installing things on real hardware, and when tiny, stupid details keep getting in our way. I am glad Abackup helped you to relief some of that pain
Old 22 April 2014, 11:11   #35
tomse
We need more scans!

@RF don't get me wrong.. I have my Amigas to play games and watch demos (and yes I did almost finish Eye of the Beholder, almost I think I have 1-2 hours left of gameplay).

but I also have it to play with the hardware ;-)

----

Where BetterWB is so awesome, is that it "just" replaces old versions of files with newer upgraded ones, and adds a little more functionality to a system.

Atleast I don't need to find all these annoying files on aminet (specially these days where the mirror sites are only partially working).
Ofc there are some minor inconveniences in BetterWB, for me, but it's hard to satisfy everyone, so I can just fix those inconveniences myself, or leave them as they are.

@gulliver
I think it was actually a good thing I wiped my disk.. now I can install PFS3 as filesystem getting even better performance than before
Old 24 May 2014, 17:15   #36
demether

Hi,

Is there a features list somewhere ? I tried several "workbench enhancers", but I didn't find the good one for my needs now, and each time I broke my system trying to modify it to my needs, or remove useless (for me!) components.

Another question, in this topic, I readed things about glow icons, but is it possible to keep the classic icons instead, with your pack ?

Last question about localization. Since your pack is installed on a fresh workbench install, does it keep our localisation settings (in my case, french localisation). With the other packs, I just achieved to make my keyboard french, but all the system remained in english.

thank you !
Old 24 May 2014, 17:39   #37
gulliver
BoingBagged

Hi,

For the feature list and download page go to http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/BetterWB.htm

Classic icons are installed by default, and you can keep them there indefinately. GlowIcons are optional.

It will keep your localization settings, but will install components only in english.
Old 24 May 2014, 18:21   #38
demether

Thanks, I'll take a look !

edit : by the way, once installed, is there an app to disable components or commodities we doesn't need ?
Old 24 May 2014, 19:25   #39
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by demether View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look !

edit : by the way, once installed, is there an app to disable components or commodities we doesn't need ?
Yes there is such app, it will be located in your "Prefs" drawer and it is called "WBStartup". It is really easy to use.

Anyway, by default, very few commodities are enabled.
Old 24 May 2014, 19:55   #40
demether

Thanks !

For me the important things are :

Whdload installed
Anti-floppyclick (even if in the next weeks, I'll probably swap the floppy drive for a Gotek)
pcmcia compact flash adapter and FAT "drivers" installed for my PC>amiga transferts

And...That's pretty all I need, I believe.
AdSense AdSense