English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 16 November 2002, 22:36   #1
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Amiga -> PC proxy

I've been trying to access the Internet with my A1200 through the PC which is connected via DSL. Followed the instructions from http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/aminetbin/find?nulltcp and it connects fine (using Miami). Setting up a proxy on the PC side gives me trouble though! I tried Jana 1.4 and AnalogX, but when I set the PC's IP as http proxy in the Amiga browsers, it says it can't connect. In fact, it doesn't look as if many queries arrive at the PC at all! Any hints?

Edit: Damn, wanted to post this under 'Apps problems'. Could any of the admins/mods move it, please? Thanks a lot!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 November 2002, 11:31   #2
Miggy2TheMax

This is probably a silly suggestion on my part but have you tried transferring data across you null cable using other programs? Just to make sure your null cable is ok?

Do you test to make sure the TCP/IP business is set up correctly on the amiga by pinging you PC ip number?
Old 17 November 2002, 12:26   #3
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Yes, I'm transferring files through Twinexpress all the time and it works. As for pinging, I have to admit I didn't give it a try yet. Shame on me

Another edit: did the pinging now and on the PC side, I can see the packages are arriving, but apparantely, nothing is sent back.

Last edited by Mr Creosote; 17 November 2002 at 13:00.
Old 17 November 2002, 13:18   #4
Miggy2TheMax

is nothing sent back by the amiga? ... Sounds like tcp/ip is not setup right on one of the machines.. i know not very helpful, sorry. Did you try pinging the amiga itself... just see if that side is up ok?

I really should try this nulltcp... but I blew away all my winbloze boxes and run only linux now..
Old 17 November 2002, 13:34   #5
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

No, nothing is sent back by the PC to the Amiga. I'll give you all the information about the different pings:
-loopback Amiga: working
-loopback PC: working
-pinging PC from the Amiga: packages arriving at the PC, but apparantely, they are ignored there and not sent back to the Amiga
-pinging Amiga from the PC: nothing happens at all, packages aren't even sent in the Amiga's direction

So I guess something's wrong on the PC side.

Oh, and if you have some kind of step-to-step manual for doing something similar in Linux, I'd be more than interested - I just thought it'd be easier to get help with Windows....
Old 18 November 2002, 00:20   #6
Akira

Did you try SyGate? it's a pretty nice proxy util.
Old 18 November 2002, 03:19   #7
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote
No, nothing is sent back by the PC to the Amiga. I'll give you all the information about the different pings:
-loopback Amiga: working
-loopback PC: working
-pinging PC from the Amiga: packages arriving at the PC, but apparantely, they are ignored there and not sent back to the Amiga
-pinging Amiga from the PC: nothing happens at all, packages aren't even sent in the Amiga's direction

So I guess something's wrong on the PC side.

Oh, and if you have some kind of step-to-step manual for doing something similar in Linux, I'd be more than interested - I just thought it'd be easier to get help with Windows....

I agree with your conclusion, it looks like something funny is going on in the PC side. Do you have too much security (firewalling) setup on you PC ?

Hopefully this christmas I will have a bit of time to muck around and setup a NULL tcp between linux and amiga. I'll post a howto once I get around to it.
Old 18 November 2002, 21:23   #8
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Akira: thanks for the suggestion, I'll certainly give it a try But only after I got the TCP/IP connection working properly, because pinging should work even without a proxy, so it looks as if the problem lies deeper

Miggy: I have even disabled the firewall completely to test it....
Old 27 November 2002, 00:54   #9
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Just thought I should confirm with this post I got it to work now - otherwise, it would not show up. Anothe high quality post generated by iBrowse Thanks to you all again
AdSense AdSense