English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 16 November 2002, 14:28   #1
NytroX86

Best Coverdisk Games

Hey everyone. I've been thinking about some of the classic coverdisk games I used to have. Not demos of full commercial games, but PD games and shareware. I can think of a few to start this thread off:

Drip: you were a blob of water moving around pipes trying to avoid blocakges and stuff.

Extreme Violence: A class game where two players wander around a small arena killing each other over and over.

Super Foul Egg: An excellent variation of Tetris type game.

Deluxe Galaga: A 2d Space invaders type game, but with no obstacles to hide behind and much better graphics. There were also bonus scrolling asteroid dodging levels.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 16 November 2002, 15:16   #2
-SolidSnake-

hehe... gorf, smidge and desert run is all pretty nice games...

Smidge; an sort of mario clone,
Gorf; galaga clone
Desert Run; not sure what this is an clone of but it's cool, and hard to finsish.

Old 16 November 2002, 16:10   #3
SelfSilent

Yeah Nytro, 2 and 4 were cool.

I'd also like to add Sneech (cross between tron light cycles and worm). I wasted countless nights playing 2 player on that.

Old 16 November 2002, 19:19   #4
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Ork Attack was a classic gore romp,
Knights was also fun.

Methinks Master Blaster or BiPlanes were the macdaddys
Old 16 November 2002, 19:42   #5
NytroX86

I never knew Knights was on a coverdisk otherwise I would have mentioned it (I had it from Assassins Compilation). It was one of my favourite 2 player games . It was nice that the dungeons were different each time too.
And Master Blaster was class, but do you know what happened to Blitz Bombers? It was on the same coverdisk I think.

Old 16 November 2002, 20:55   #6
Peanutuk

GRaivity Power

Wihtout doubt the best coverdisk game of all time. Actually made number two in Amiga Powers all time top 100!
Although it was on there coverdisk, for a 'free' game it had great lasting playability.
Old 16 November 2002, 21:21   #7
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I remember ol Blitz Bombers as a demo on a coverdisk. I dont think they ever allowed the full version to be available.

Still, easy to find these days.
Old 18 November 2002, 01:14   #8
Akira

If there was a classic demo, it was the Super skidmarks demo in The One. We played that one with my friends for AGES until I got the full game.
Old 19 November 2002, 04:00   #9
dirkies
Zone Friend

Sidewinder from 1988 (from software house Arcadia I believe)was also released quite a while after the retail release on some coverdisk. I already had it, but must 've been nice for those who didn't have it then Spent hours on this vertical shoot'em up with smooth scrolling, addictive gameplay and stereo SFX.
Old 19 November 2002, 06:40   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
If there was a classic demo, it was the Super skidmarks demo in The One. We played that one with my friends for AGES until I got the full game.
Same here. I played this coverdisk demo with my nephews until our eyes were popping out of our heads. Never EVER got tired of the demo, only wanted more. Finally downloaded a HD version of the full game and never tired of it, either! (In fact, it's STILL installed on my A2000 from back then!)
Old 19 November 2002, 10:04   #11
Tim Janssen

Post Some games

The only coverdisc-games I have played appeared on CU Amiga coverdiscs. My favourites are Shaun Southern's Amiga reworking of P.O.D., Galaga '92 and Drip.
Old 19 November 2002, 11:35   #12
bippym
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to bippym
Bombuzal From Amiga Power issue 1 (or was it 2). Was one of the first magazines I bought
Old 19 November 2002, 11:42   #13
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Issue 1 - Bombuzal was the first Amiga Power review, in issue 0, AP fact fans.
Old 19 November 2002, 22:45   #14
Shatterhand

Tanx 'n' Stuff , greatest multiplayer game ever on a coverdisk.
Touch 'n' Go - Nice puzzle game

There was a thrust clone in a the one issue, I can't remember the name. but I played it a lot.

Tractor Beam! Yeah, I remembered the name
Old 19 November 2002, 23:43   #15
NytroX86

Well I've just downloaded a brilliant game, I think it was on a coverdisk but I might have had it on the Assassins compilation. Its Balloonacy, and you go around in a hot air balloon trying level city blocks with bombs and stay high enough to avoid crashing. I reckon it can be highly addictive .
Another game I got my hands on again: Tanx. Remarkably simple, you just aim yer turret like you aim a bazooka in Worms (although Tanx was almost certainly made first), set the power and try to destroy the other tank. You can add obstacles like fans and targets for extra variation and difficulty. Again this might not have been a coverdisk game but its simple enough to be .
Nearly everyone on here knows this site already, but just in case I got these from www.back2roots.org .

Old 21 November 2002, 21:31   #16
sewerkid

Cant remember what coverdisk it was, but "smidge" was
a moment in time, maybee not a great game, it was something
new and weired that stuck in my mind.
must be 10 years ago now.

Old 25 November 2002, 02:03   #17
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Re: Best Coverdisk Games

Quote:
Originally posted by NytroX86
Deluxe Galaga: A 2d Space invaders type game, but with no obstacles to hide behind and much better graphics. There were also bonus scrolling asteroid dodging levels.
Deluxe Galaga was a hell of a good game!

I also liked poing, a nice breakout where you had to break the wall in front of you to escape the current level, instead of blowing all the bricks.
Old 25 November 2002, 18:17   #18
grassden
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to grassden
Tennis Champs

For me it was tennis champs <think it was amiga power but not sure> brilliant for two players!!! >trouble was my mate kept kicking me to the grave every single time<!!!
Old 25 November 2002, 19:52   #19
NytroX86

I don't believe I forgot Transplant, the space game done in the style of asteroids, but this had loads more enemys than rocks. It was (is) damned addictive, especially since when you die you get plonked back on the same level and you want to beat it.
Another great coverdisk game was Croak, guiding the frogs across the motorway and then the river.

Old 28 November 2002, 18:11   #20
bgbennyboy

Atoms - on an amiga format coverdisk, a great conversion of a classic (I *think* atari?) game.
AdSense AdSense