English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 24 March 2014, 16:14   #1
Krenzathal

Game port switches automatically/can't use joy2key with Winuae

After having some success with sing joy2key with Winape I can now happily play my Amstrad games with my SNES controller so I decided to give it a shot with Winuae but it just won't let me.

In joy2key I set out the d-pad controls to match the cursor keys then I assign a button for fire and then another button for up + fire together and that gives me a 'jump' button.

This works beautifully on my Amstrad emulator but it just won't take on Winuae. I have tried configuring the gamepad itself to Winuae's input but it won't let me assign two actions to one button at the same time but every time I set the game port to work with joy2key by using standard keyboard layout 2 (cursor keys, right ctr & alt=fire) it seems to auto detect my gamepad when I start to play and switches it back to the Gamepad 1 port setting.

Am I missing something? I've saved my configuration settings a million times with that keyboard layout port selected but when I touch the controller and go back to the port settings screen in it's always switched back to Gamepad 1.

Any help would be appreciated because it's driving me nuts and all want is a game of Golden Axe! :S

AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 March 2014, 18:35   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You can add more than 1 event to single button, both gameports and input panel methods allow up to 8 events. Gameports: Select event, click remap again. Input panel: change select menu that has values from 1 to 8.

Unused game controllers are automatically enabled when used, it is by design to allow very quick game controller changes without entering GUI. (stick left/right or first/second button selects mouse/joystick port)

You can disable it by either enabling the device using input panel (tick enable checkbox in top right corner). Another simple method is to map it to unused parallel port joystick using game ports panel
Old 25 March 2014, 13:37   #3
Krenzathal

Hey that's for the reply, it's much appreciated.

I couldn't do anything with the gameports remapping as the re-remapping button is browned out and I couldn't get it working.

I had more luck on the Input Panel but it's still ropey so here's what I did, please feel free to correct me on any mistakes I made.

- On value 1 I have all my d-pad etc. selected to x & y axis

- Also on Value 1 I assigned button 4 as fire and also button 3 as fire.

- Then on Value 2 I also assigned button 3 as 'up'

EDIT: The trouble is that button 3 only seems to trigger both actions for a 'jump' when my character on screen is standing totally still. When I press the D-pad left or right and push the 'jump' button it just does a standard 'fire'

Any suggestions or corrections?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Krenzathal; 25 March 2014 at 13:48.

Old 25 March 2014, 14:23   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenzathal View Post
I couldn't do anything with the gameports remapping as the re-remapping button is browned out and I couldn't get it working.
You need to press delete all first and start from scratch. Default layouts can't be customized, they are special.

WinUAE GUI was never meant to be easy to use, it is meant to enable all kinds of possibilities

EDIT: Attach your config file (setup for input panel mappings) and I'll check whats wrong.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 25 March 2014 at 15:06.
Old 25 March 2014, 17:11   #5
Krenzathal

Hi, thanks for the reply again!

I discovered the problem is with the actual game I'm playing and not the way Winuae triggers the buttons.

In Golden Axe like I said, if I push 'forward' on the d-pad and try the combo jump button to jump forward and not just straight up I get a fire only response, but I tried it with Shadow of The Beast 2 and it worked perfectly in all directions.

You're right, the GUI is a little tricky and not very obvious if you're just a plain old retro gamer like me but I guess I'd rather have that than not be able to do something.

Anyway thanks for all the help Toni, you've been great and very patient!

AdSense AdSense