English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 February 2014, 06:10   #1
brolly

Oscar CD32 on ebay

Been a long time since I last saw one up for auction, so in case someone is interested thought might be worth a heads up:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181322633279

This is also the only CD32 game that remains undumped afaik. A starting bid of 250 is a bit too high for me though, I know the game is rare but don't recall it being that rare.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 February 2014, 06:21   #2
nittamituaki
Cd32+Fdd User (CFU)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oscar-Video-...item19e831a492

I don't think that it is rare.
I recommend you to search your interest titles including "Completed" listing.
Old 13 February 2014, 10:29   #3
sokolovic

This is madness. There is plenty of copies of Oscar available on CD32. This is probably the most easy game to have. How in the hell could someone pay 250 for Oscar CD32 ?

Is this because it come without Diggers ? Seems strange to me...
Old 13 February 2014, 13:11   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
This is madness. There is plenty of copies of Oscar available on CD32. This is probably the most easy game to have. How in the hell could someone pay 250 for Oscar CD32 ?

Is this because it come without Diggers ? Seems strange to me...
How the hell can someone pay over 500+ for an Iphone with Flappy Birds on it. The mind boggles, but theres always someone willing to pay.
Old 13 February 2014, 13:12   #5
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

They don't come up very often, the stand-alone version of Oscar CD32. It is the first time I have seen one I think. Most of them are the common Oscar/Diggers bundle that came with the CD32. Maybe it is quite a rare title but its certainly not worth 250!

People are selling phones with Flappy Bird on because it has been removed from the app stores. You can still download it from the internet though so I hope no one falls for these sad opportunist sellers.

Last edited by Steve; 13 February 2014 at 14:07.
Old 13 February 2014, 13:45   #6
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
How the hell can someone pay over 500+ for an Iphone with Flappy Birds on it. The mind boggles, but theres always someone willing to pay.
Well at least you can always use you're iphone for something more... That's probably a bit crazy but less crazy that paying 250 for a CD cover and a printed CD with an average game on it...

But, you're right on one point, There's always someone willing to pay !
Old 13 February 2014, 14:39   #7
MethodGit

This is one of those CD games that I've been looking out for for ages now. Sad to see some arsey seller take advantage of its rarity like that by taking the piss with the price. Anyone want to organise a donation drive to get this bought and dumped for the community akin to Hidden-Palace.org?

And if it's not as rare on eBay as it's made out to be, how come I've never seen it crop up on there many times before? Is it more common in the U.S.?
Old 13 February 2014, 16:33   #8
Steve T

just curious as I don't own a cd32, but what would the difference be to the one dumped from the oscar/diggers bundle?

if a few of you decided to get together and buy it, perhaps try contacting the seller with a more reasonable offer?
Old 13 February 2014, 20:08   #9
brolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
And if it's not as rare on eBay as it's made out to be, how come I've never seen it crop up on there many times before? Is it more common in the U.S.?
That's what I think exactly besides if it wasn't this rare it should have been dumped by now since quite a few persons should own it, but then again you can see the auction nittamituaki just posted where the same game was sold by just a bit over 15 USD! I wonder how my ebay saved searches missed that one... I have it set to search Oscar CD32 so it should have caught it. I would have easily bought it and get it dumped.

I'm all in favor of driving donations towards buying rare games for preservation, but in this case I think the amount the seller is asking is absurd since the game isn't worth nowhere near that value. My bet is that it won't sell and he will have to relist it, so I'd rather wait.

I know he is a member here so since he owns the game he could have stepped up and dumped it for the community before.

And there's no difference between the game and the one bundled with Diggers, it's simply a standalone release.
Old 13 February 2014, 20:32   #10
Bladerunner2125

Obviously they added an 0 to 25 by mistake

Old 14 February 2014, 23:02   #11
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolly View Post
That's what I think exactly besides if it wasn't this rare it should have been dumped by now since quite a few persons should own it, but then again you can see the auction nittamituaki just posted where the same game was sold by just a bit over 15 USD! I wonder how my ebay saved searches missed that one... I have it set to search Oscar CD32 so it should have caught it. I would have easily bought it and get it dumped.
Having looked at that other auction again, I think I know why it escaped our radars.

It appears the seller was ("officially" at least) only willing to ship within their own country (in this case, the U.S.). From my experience with eBay UK's search engine, any international auctions not specified to ship worldwide are ignored in all search results. So even if we were smart and used eBay.com to catch wind of this auction back then, the chances of convincing the seller to change their stance and agree to an off-country shipping deal are probably half-and-half. Such negotiation worked in my favour a couple of years ago in the case of the U.S. edition of Elf, but it couldn't convince another U.S. seller to sell to me their copy of SWIV 3D Assault (which necessitated me asking for help on here to get a "proxy buyer" to get it off of Amazon US and ship it to me after I paid them back).
Old 15 February 2014, 00:02   #12
brolly

I have my search for Oscar CD32 created on ebay.com and I receive several search emails of other items where the sellers won't ship overseas. Not the first time something like this happens though, so I'm not really sure about all the rules behind ebay's saved searches.

That wouldn't be any issue for me anyway, most of the times I can convince the seller to ship here if that fails I just buy it through a friend in the US. So if I had got that search notification I'd probably have bought the game unless the winner made a pretty large bid which we can't possibly know of course. Kinda sad that I didn't.
Old 15 February 2014, 04:45   #13
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

I can tell you that oscar is a really crappy game to play.

I remember that it got played, maybe three times back when I got my cd32 all those years ago.

I cannot imagine that it is even remotely rare.

Play it for a while and you will learn to hate Oscar with a passion.
Old 15 February 2014, 06:23   #14
brolly

It's not really a matter of playing the game, if anyone wants to play the game the Amiga version or the CD32 bundle with Diggers are easily available to everyone.
The point here is to get the game dumped so it can be preserved, and the CD32 standalone is rare indeed, not 250 worth though.
Old 18 February 2014, 02:12   #15
Reters

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolly View Post
It's not really a matter of playing the game, if anyone wants to play the game the Amiga version or the CD32 bundle with Diggers are easily available to everyone.
The point here is to get the game dumped so it can be preserved, and the CD32 standalone is rare indeed, not 250 worth though.
Welcome. Here everything explained
AdSense AdSense