English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 February 2014, 22:30   #21
TCD

For your own sake I hope this thread is a joke...

You might want to contact A-Eon and ask them directly. As far as I know no A-Eon employee visits this forum.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 February 2014, 22:52   #22
fondpondforever

Why would it be a joke? Computer Companies don't employ people. Fair Enough.
Old 12 February 2014, 00:52   #23
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondpondforever View Post
Why would it be a joke?
Because there hasn't been a classic Amiga computer produced in 18 years and no commercial Amiga games from a big company in getting on for 15 years. There are no jobs in the "Amiga industry" because there is no "Amiga industry".
Old 12 February 2014, 01:06   #24
edd_jedi

Quote:
I guess the Amiga Market is just waiting for an innovative prodigy to fill the big gap with a blizzard of creativity and rainbow spirit that will stun people and put them in awe.

P.S. Nobody still hasn't answered my question about getting in to Aeon for a job. Thanks.
Well put it this way - at Christmas one of the best known crackers from back in the day and most respected members in the community helped release one of the most anticipated games ever - Putty Squad. And what did it get? A couple of hundred downloads and a couple of dozen nice comments. A month later everyone has forgotten about it. Oh, and it was free. We're not being mean to you - the Amiga market died 20 years ago. You need to accept that.

If you want to make Amiga games, that's great. Some old fossils like us will gladly play them. But you will never make a career from it (unless you program for a modern platform, which is what we all suggested.)

As for Aeon, have you tried contacting them yourself? Some people expect everything on a plate...
Old 12 February 2014, 01:58   #25
fondpondforever

I contacted them about a month ago by email and they didn't answer. Probably to busy. I guess the EAB isn't really for topics like this but I thought I would ask about the employment fields anyway. There must be some Amiga Industry in existence with games like MACE and Frogatto coming out for OS4. I wonder if those games were developed on OS4. To increase the sales of Amiga Future Magazine the writers should add a feature called 'Retrospective' at the back of the Magazine reviewing classic hardware, software and games with about 10 pages maximum covering it. This would be Awesome.

So if I want to follow my childhood dream I should do the following:

1. Become familiar with Amiga Operating Systems like OS4 and Morph
2. Design Computer Games in Amiga Software
3. Send off my ideas and instalments to companies that would be interested In them
4. Play, Test and Review Amiga Games
5. Create more games based on research and inspiration

Do you agree or do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.
Old 12 February 2014, 03:57   #26
TCD

Quote:
There must be some Amiga Industry in existence with games like MACE and Frogatto coming out for OS4.
You do realise that the OS4 versions are just byproducts? You simply can't make a living making games only for the Amiga (classic and/or OS4). The main market for both games is mobile gaming.
Old 12 February 2014, 04:30   #27
matthey
Banned

Quote:
I contacted them about a month ago by email and they didn't answer. Probably to busy. I guess the EAB isn't really for topics like this but I thought I would ask about the employment fields anyway. There must be some Amiga Industry in existence with games like MACE and Frogatto coming out for OS4. I wonder if those games were developed on OS4. To increase the sales of Amiga Future Magazine the writers should add a feature called 'Retrospective' at the back of the Magazine reviewing classic hardware, software and games with about 10 pages maximum covering it. This would be Awesome.
Don't be surprised if businesses don't respond back. E-mails get lost, existing customers take priority and times are tough if inquiring about a job. If you don't already have skills needed by the company, then good luck.

I personally don't see Hyperion and AmigaOS 4.x going anywhere. They are stuck with dying PowerPC and aren't getting updates out very fast. If they don't get SMT working and/or produce AmigaOS 4.x for another CPU, they are dead. MorphOS has a better chance IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump to x86_64 or ARM. The best chance for Amiga is some adaption of AROS which could be x86_64, ARM, or 68k. Yes, I said 68k. Modern affordable FPGAs can now produce a faster CPU (and hardware) than the original Amiga. The fpgaArcade is capable of 68030-68040 speeds with a primitive CPU design and the hardware blows away real AGA. There is a more advanced 68k fpga design that will be going into Majsta's fpga accelerators. Don't underestimate the quirky old 68k. The 68060 outperforms every superscalar only processor we tested in cache/memory performance (low end ARM and Atom) and outperforms most OoO processors. The strong cache/memory performance that powers the x86/x86_64 past ARM and PowerPC is also possible in the 68k but with better code density and less decoding overhead. Many people love the Amiga classic. Products that give the Amiga feel with more speed, good compatibility and a low price have a better chance to sell to the Amiga market by the tens of thousands and expand the Amiga base enough to matter. The 68k is the base for all the other Amiga systems and the encoding makes for a nice compact cross platform byte (actually 16 bit) code. Programming for 68k 3.x actually gets you the largest Amiga customer base if you don't bang the hardware.

Quote:
So if I want to follow my childhood dream I should do the following:

1. Become familiar with Amiga Operating Systems like OS4 and Morph
Learning to program and becoming familiar with the AMIGA programming and development environments is a good start. Just don't quit your day job.

Quote:
2. Design Computer Games in Amiga Software
Like I said, I would start with AmigaOS 3.x with CGFX support. Vbcc would be a good compiler to play around with. It's easy and fast to install and can produce executables for many Amiga platforms.

Quote:
3. Send off my ideas and instalments to companies that would be interested In them
I would skip this part. There really aren't many publishers or companies that would care about the Amiga. Play around, create something to show, look for people to help, put up a web site showing it off, sell it on your web site through one of those PayPal click to purchase shops.

Quote:
4. Play, Test and Review Amiga Games
I don't know how important the playing and reviewing is. It may turn into a distraction .

Quote:
5. Create more games based on research and inspiration
There you go. I do think really good playable, addictive and creative games would sell. You just have to realize that the Amiga user base is currently small.
Old 12 February 2014, 08:54   #28
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
There must be some Amiga Industry in existence with games like MACE and Frogatto coming out for OS4.
Mace was written to be portable. Its main market was Android, iOS and Xbox360 but the developer is an old skool Amiga coder and so created an Amiga OS4 port as the tools and libraries exist for that OS and the PPC + RTG was powerful enough. Barely no-one can play it on an Amiga because the OS4 hardware is so rare and expensive.

Quote:
I wonder if those games were developed on OS4.
Doesn't look like it based on the developers blogs.

Frogatto for example was developed open source for cross platform. Looks like someone other than the developers did the Amiga OS4 port.
Old 12 February 2014, 12:55   #29
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Quote:
To increase the sales of Amiga Future Magazine the writers should add a feature called 'Retrospective' at the back of the Magazine reviewing classic hardware, software and games with about 10 pages maximum covering it. This would be Awesome.
Why would this be awesome? Why would it be a good idea to take ten pages out of the magazine for this? Unless you think we should add ten pages or so - but it's not the sort of thing that can be plucked out of thin air. And besides there have been various retrospective articles in the magazine looking back at old companies and hardware anyway, as well as the odd review of an older game. I think that's enough to be getting on with really. I really don't think sales would be at all increased by this as let's face it, a printed Amiga magazine is something of a niche interest these days.
Old 12 February 2014, 13:19   #30
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

There is NO money to be made out of classic Amiga stuff....period... the end.

That boat sailed long ago. Is it still possible to make money on Amiga games that are new? Yes, probably, but not in comparison to the effort required to make the game.

The problem you have is HISTORY. If you want to write a game on a classic Amiga that will get people to dig their hands into their pockets and support you, History would say you're not likely to succeed.

History? Put simply, if you're going to write a platformer and expect people to buy it, its got to be comparable or BETTER than what preceded it.

Have you got it in you to compare or beat the likes of Turrican 2? That was a 5+ man team effort, that took nearly a year to realise, oh, and you've got the likes of Chris Huelsbeck to compete with as well. Bummer!

Or maybe you'll opt for a later market platformer. Wrong again. Brian the Lion, 5+ man team again, ex-demo coder heading up the project to make it as console-esque as possible, took over a year to do.

And you can apply that logic to virtually any game you're thinking of doing, people are ALWAYS going to compare to what came before, its human nature.

Its why PHX's Solid Gold gets a free pass, because it was FREE, it circumvents the need to be compared unfavourably with previous games, because theres no payment.

I'm avoiding that by converting Atari ST games that never got released on Amiga first time around, I don't have to make them fantastic, the fact they are getting a release is enough for most people, and the audience for Amiga stuff right now would probably appreciate it more than if the game was actually released 20+ years ago.

However, AlexH touched on something which I kicked off as an idea before, which was to write an Amiga game, but use an Android Amiga Emulator as a wrapper to bring your game to a wider audience and charge for that.

Are smartphones more powerful than classic Amigas? No doubt, but a good game is a good game, plenty of Amiga games untouched wouldn't look out of place on Android or iOS.

But as for making money out of a standalone classic Amiga game......you're too late, by a long time, Christ, Speris Legacy was too late and that was 1996.... your chances are LESS than zero.

Facts suck, but suck them up.
Old 12 February 2014, 14:11   #31
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post

However, AlexH touched on something which I kicked off as an idea before, which was to write an Amiga game, but use an Android Amiga Emulator as a wrapper to bring your game to a wider audience and charge for that.

Are smartphones more powerful than classic Amigas? No doubt, but a good game is a good game, plenty of Amiga games untouched wouldn't look out of place on Android or iOS.
That's, in my opinion, the only way to publish a classic amiga game by now... I'm sure it will sell but I won't expect massives incomes... A couple of hundred boxed copies on the Amiga (200*25=5000) and a couple of thousands digital downloads priced 5 (10000). Well that's not very much if you want to pay the team that have made the game !

However, games are still produced for many olds machines, and produce a physical release of a genesis games in 2014 is much more expensive then doing it on an amiga, so maybe it may be possible...
Old 12 February 2014, 14:29   #32
britelite

Quote:
P.S. Nobody still hasn't answered my question about getting in to Aeon for a job. Thanks.
How about contacting them directly instead of asking on some random messageboard?

Edit: Whoops, missed a lot of answers. And this one was already answered
Old 12 February 2014, 16:13   #33
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

I don't want to be mean fondpond but I do wonder about your age. Are you a teenager by any chance? You seem extremely naive. Jeez, and I thought Marz was naive.
Old 12 February 2014, 18:26   #34
fondpondforever

I'm surprised that the recently released Putty Squad for the Playstaion 4 and PC wasn't released on a modern Amiga. If any game were to get the Amiga Enthusiasts and Pros excited, surely I would of been this game. Not Amiga's fault but the damm business publishers who can't be bothered to make a port for one the system's mascot's.
Old 12 February 2014, 18:41   #35
Steve T

Quote:
I'm surprised that the recently released Putty Squad for the Playstaion 4 and PC wasn't released on a modern Amiga. If any game were to get the Amiga Enthusiasts and Pros excited, surely I would of been this game. Not Amiga's fault but the damm business publishers who can't be bothered to make a port for one the system's mascot's.
huh? did I imagine playing putty squad on the 1200 in my living room yesterday while waiting for food a shopping delivery?
Old 12 February 2014, 19:27   #36
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I'm surprised that the recently released Putty Squad for the Playstation 4 and PC wasn't released on a modern Amiga.
Why? Practically no-one owns a "modern Amiga".

A-Eon would have to pay System-3 to make it.

And they A-Eon don't have any money so it's not going to happen

(P.S. Is Putty Squad available for the PC?)
Old 12 February 2014, 19:33   #37
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

This thread smells of trollbait to me. Is this some wind up from an Atari ST forum to try and rile the Amiga owners?

So much fail and inability to use Google
Old 12 February 2014, 19:41   #38
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
This thread smells of trollbait to me. Is this some wind up from an Atari ST forum to try and rile the Amiga owners?

So much fail and inability to use Google
I'm suspecting the same. He's picking which posts to answer very carefully and it's not the first thread of this kind from him. We have an eye on him...
Old 12 February 2014, 20:27   #39
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

yeah the only reason to write Amiga software these days is for the love of Amigas
Old 12 February 2014, 22:13   #40
fondpondforever

If you don't like my topic then just close this thread because I've got some useful feedback for the people that care to have the decency to reply. I've got all of my answers now so any further discussion is not necessary. Right, off to make an Amiga Game now. Bye bye...
AdSense AdSense