English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 24 January 2014, 03:57   #1
Brannigan

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia

Hi. I just signed up as a user here and wanted to present myself.

I'm fairly new to Amiga. After starting to listed to a podcast that played a lot of game and demo music from old platforms and seeing some Amiga demos (demos mentioned in the podcast) I got inspired and bought an Amiga 500. My collection of Amiga related gadgets has swelled considerably since then...

During the mid 90s I got hold on some demos and I was so impressed of how much they managed to squeeze out from the computers. And it looked cool. I started to write my own graphics routines and create some basic demo effects in a mix of Pascal and Assembler (Pascal for the 'logic' and Assembler for the graphic routines) on PC. I also like old games. I had a NES when I was growing up and I can still enjoy a good NES game. I've also played a lot of old PC games. Either games I used to play back in the days or games I found later.

Even if I never had an Amiga when I was younger, I think the step is not that far getting into Amigas nowdays considering that I like old games and demo programming. I do want to learn to program in 68k assembler and I'm hoping that I one day might be able to create my own demo that I can present at a demo party. I like the idea of squeezing out as much as possible from a finite amount of hardware resources. It's not like the PC where you don't have to program efficiently, you can upgrade if your program is slow.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 January 2014, 08:45   #2
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Welcome matey, good to have you on board.
Old 24 January 2014, 20:49   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Brannigan, and welcome to EAB!

By joining our forum, you've just taken a giant leap on your way to presenting your own Amiga Demo!
Old 25 January 2014, 10:07   #4
Brannigan

Thank you! I hope this is the right forum for learning Amiga coding
Old 25 January 2014, 10:10   #5
JanciB

Hi Brannigan to Melbourne. I am just watching women's final with our Cibulkova
Old 27 January 2014, 03:26   #6
Brannigan

Hi JanciB. I didn't see the tennis final but apparantly it was a good game. Li won but did you still enjoy watching the game?
Old 27 January 2014, 12:28   #7
JanciB

Yeah. The first set was even. But in the second Li dominated. Anyway,
pretty good result for Dominika
Old 28 January 2014, 00:32   #8
djukon

Welcome aboard, Brannigan. Cool to see someone who never had an Amiga before, get into the scene. Seems the classic Amiga still captures new recruits after all these years. Enjoy coding that demo .
Old 29 January 2014, 00:18   #9
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

Welcome! Is it pronouced Melborn or Melburn?
Old 30 January 2014, 02:07   #10
Brannigan

A computer with advanced grapics, sample based stereo sound, and multi tasking OS? Who can't love this machine which obviously was well ahead of its time. The future was here, right?

Regarding how to prononciate "Melbourne", I found this on YouTube:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 January 2014, 02:43   #11
djukon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigan View Post
A computer with advanced grapics, sample based stereo sound, and multi tasking OS? Who can't love this machine which obviously was well ahead of its time. The future was here, right?
I'd add that the Amiga was a glimpse of what the future still holds concerning computer architecture. The holistic approach to designing the architecture with interdependent custom chips, specialized in certain kinds of tasks, still is something we (as a species) haven't done much more since the Amiga.

Considering that [ Show youtube player ]'s Global Village Construction Set might be complete [ Show youtube player ], we will have the tools to experiment with locally sourced components and the resulting computers in the not so distant future. This means not having to be limited to what the proprietary market provides. Stay tuned .

And you're in Australia, home of Permaculture, a functional design approach for civilization building, that goes hand in hand with these tools. I bet you're going to love what's coming in the next decades. Sooner yet, if you start to pay attention to the emerging patterns. The Amiga really is an inspiration. Enjoy.
Old 30 January 2014, 16:21   #12
Bastich

Hello and welcome
Old 05 February 2014, 12:41   #13
Brannigan

Thanks for sharing the links. Pretty cool with open source farming machinery. This is a project worth following
Old 05 February 2014, 14:04   #14
djukon

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the links. Pretty cool with open source farming machinery. This is a project worth following
You're welcome, Brannigan. It is not just farming machinery, though it starts with that, dependency-wise. It is the whole technology tree up to electronic circuit printer/pressers, on a small scale, globally distributed, instead of wasting energy carrying components back and forth with the current industrial age global market.

With additive manufacturing processes like 3D printing and conductive ink, it is just a matter of time until we can print out a computer locally. Who knows if we won't be able to produce Amiga replicas in the local fablab, or accelerators and such mods .
Old 06 February 2014, 12:08   #15
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Hey Brannigan. Never had an Amiga, only a C64 which I didn't think about selling.
Old 13 February 2014, 07:51   #16
Zerotech

Send a message via Skype™ to Zerotech
Welcome to the forums as you can see my profile I too am from Melbourne, I am glad a youngster is keen on old vintage hardware. You've come to the right place

It would be great if you list the machines you have or have any vested interests on getting one, I am pretty sure the people over here will help you with anything related to the Amiga.
Old 13 February 2014, 13:26   #17
Brannigan

Youngster? I'm actually a year older than you Unless you mean I'm a youngster because I'm new to Amiga?

I got thee machines:
A500 with RAM expansion. I'm keeping this for compatibility reasons.
A500 with 1MB CHIP, 8MB FAST, KS 37.350, CF card and 68010 CPU.
A1000 with 1.5MB RAM (0.5 CHIP and 1 SLOW) and a 68010 CPU. This is a US model so I have a 240/120 transformer with it.

I'd like to get an A600. It is smaller than A500 and has built in composite. With a PCMCIA network adaptor it would be easier to get stuff over to the computer without having to rely on my null model cable. With some FAST RAM (and 2MB CHIP?) this would be a nice gaming machine with WHDLoad. Expecially with an ACA620 accelerator
Next best is an A500 revision 8.1 motherboard. I should be able to get 2MB CHIP on these. Also good.

And I'm always on the lookout for a good CRT monitor. Either a Commodore one (1084 seems good) or a multi sync PC monitor.
Old 13 February 2014, 13:32   #18
Zerotech

Send a message via Skype™ to Zerotech
Quote:
Youngster? I'm actually a year older than you Unless you mean I'm a youngster because I'm new to Amiga?
That's what I meant about being new to the Amiga Forums. I'm more of a vintage gamer that collects and plays computers and consoles as well as doing some modifications to old computers and stuff.

Anyways enjoy your time here.
Old 14 February 2014, 01:57   #19
Brannigan

I wasn't offended by being called a youngster. It was just a bit fun since I haven't been called that for a while. But I know what you mean. Sounds like we have the same interests. If I had the space, I would have heaps of consoles and computer systems at home. I like repairing hardware since it gives you a bit of a kick to restore 'dead' electronics. And I learn heaps in the process.

I'm also working on some mini projects. Right now I'm working on a Sega Mega Drive to Amiga gamepad converter where you can set functionality with switches, such as autofire and remapping UP (jump) to one of the button on the right side.
Further down the track I'll do some experiments to see if I can convert the ball mechanism in a tank mouse with an optical sensor. Hopefully I'll have some decent progress to post here.

Thanks, it's good to be here! The Amiga community is a friendly place
AdSense AdSense