English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 April 2014, 13:58   #101
lifeschool
Local Moderator

I fully agree with Mrs Beanbag on this point. A new Amiga would be something small. One of Commodores little idioms was to deliver the power of a home personal computer in a very small package, like C64 vs big box PC, or A500 Vs Apple Macintosh. Thats why they bothered with the A600 and CD32 - same stuff, only smaller.

Having spoken to Dave Haynie about this some time ago, I feel a new Amiga would be a module much like the Pi, to which 3rd partys could add peripherals and little bits to expand it. There is no point having ports for stuff people will never use, like serial, IDE, floppy, VGA etc. The unit would come with one SATA3 and its up to the users to buy a 6 port adpater if they want mice and keyboards etc. Same for audio. There would be pinouts for audio but if a user wants a Korg or Paula or Sid chip then they must buy the appropriate add-on to make it that way.

At the moment, computer designs are almost always boxey and square, or flat like an ipad. With such a small design it would be possible to make rounder shapes, like casting it inside a rubber ball which you could kick around, or designed like a wallet or purse, or as a cussion.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 April 2014, 11:54   #102
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
At the moment, computer designs are almost always boxey and square, or flat like an ipad. With such a small design it would be possible to make rounder shapes, like casting it inside a rubber ball which you could kick around, or designed like a wallet or purse, or as a cussion.
Or designed like a vacuum cleaner. Oh, wait.

Noooo, please noooo.

There is no new Amiga and there will never be a new one. Even a spritual successor to any home/semi-pro computer is very, very unlikely. A new computer with custom chips and commercial software? Which company would be mad enough to release such a device these days?
Old 06 April 2014, 12:04   #103
john1979

I don't see any point to this. Any new Amiga is just going to be a PC with the word Amiga written on it. It will be soulless.

You may as well just build a rig have it auto-boot to UAE and write Amiga on the case in permo marker.

To me Amigas are those off white wedges Commodore and Escom used to build. Anything else isn't actually a real bona fide Amiga.

Last edited by john1979; 06 April 2014 at 12:19.
Old 06 April 2014, 18:06   #104
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Which company would be mad enough, well Glastonbridge, you don't have to be mad to work there but we all just happen to be.

If we ever make it big there are no limits to how mad we could get.
Old 06 April 2014, 22:39   #105
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Which company would be mad enough, well Glastonbridge, you don't have to be mad to work there but we all just happen to be.

If we ever make it big there are no limits to how mad we could get.
Well, I guess GAT Solar in Braunschweig will easily beat every other company in terms of madness, but unfortunately that doesn't really help.

At least they have a very nice job there for me.
Old 06 April 2014, 23:21   #106
jezry

Well if where just dreaming or smoking something funny!
Sega should team up with A-eon and hyperion and its partners making a new console like system based on whatever processor would fit the needs and a good gpu.
base the whole thing on Amiga os or Aros with programs for playing your dvds or bluerays it doesnt have to be the best system coming out just look att the succes of android. And launch it as nintendo did! Home entertainment system. :-)
AdSense AdSense