English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 February 2014, 10:07   #141
blaze-f

Recently tried to get latest version of compilation, but it doesn't start to downloading. Looks like a bug with MEGA host or somithing like that.

Could you reupload iso on any other host?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 February 2014, 11:07   #142
earok

Ah, I can't right now by I can try tomorrow. Maybe keep trying, I know mega has outages from time to time.
Old 16 February 2014, 00:33   #143
earok

Alright my man, give this a try:

https://.com/share/650FFA9...6A1B39998D92EE
Old 16 February 2014, 14:28   #144
blaze-f

Thanx)

Upd - just burned cd-r... mortal kombat 2 still have 1 button controls despite slave... and problem with speed in cutscenes in flashback still exists. Also another world doesn't boot up.

Last edited by blaze-f; 16 February 2014 at 19:28.
Old 17 February 2014, 07:08   #145
earok

Thanks Blaze:

* Another World issue confirmed, will fix in next release
* Flashback appears to be just fine to me, maybe it's a PAL/NTSC thing? (Though I presume we're both PAL)
* Mortal Kombat 2 appears to work just fine in two button mode, you need to set two button mode from the menu (so far as I can tell there's no way to make the slave do this automatically)
Old 17 February 2014, 07:42   #146
blaze-f

Quote:
Flashback appears to be just fine to me, maybe it's a PAL/NTSC thing? (Though I presume we're both PAL)
I use PAL video mode. I've compared it with [ Show youtube player ] and noticed that intro cutscene on my Amiga CD32 ended a little more earlier than in video.

About music... seems like i was wrong, because now cutscenes are running a little more faster than they should Just like [ Show youtube player ]. Or [ Show youtube player ]. Looks like second video grabbed from real Amiga - why it doesn't have normal speed?

Here is [ Show youtube player ] of normal sync between animation and music.

Sorry for tediousness - Flashback is one of my best favourite games, and i wish that it worked perfectly.

About MK2 - maybe i forgot that game autodetects my controller (why???) like plugged in second port and set 2 button controls for first player? I'll check it in the evening.

Last edited by blaze-f; 17 February 2014 at 08:00.
Old 17 February 2014, 08:03   #147
earok

Haha, fair enough man. I'm definitely not the expert on it. Might be worth setting up WinUAE and comparing the WHDLoad version vs running it off ADFs. (edit: If there is an issue with the WHDLoad side it might be worth mentioning to Psygore)

Regarding MK2, just make sure you check the options menu, if you've got P1 and P2 controls set to 2 Button it should be fine.

Slightly off topic, I played through most of Flashback on one of these (http://www.atgames.net/front/bin/ptd...?Part=GP1025MD) and it was excellent
Old 17 February 2014, 09:28   #148
dirk_the_daring

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze-f View Post
I use PAL video mode. I've compared it with [ Show youtube player ] and noticed that intro cutscene on my Amiga CD32 ended a little more earlier than in video.

About music... seems like i was wrong, because now cutscenes are running a little more faster than they should Just like [ Show youtube player ]. Or [ Show youtube player ]. Looks like second video grabbed from real Amiga - why it doesn't have normal speed?

Here is [ Show youtube player ] of normal sync between animation and music.

Sorry for tediousness - Flashback is one of my best favourite games, and i wish that it worked perfectly.
Indeed that unsync is normal speed for a CD32, keep in mind that CD32 is an A1200 inside and not an A500 (video of normal sync is done with an A600, so same A500 speed). If you read some game reviews, they splain that the game runs the same in A1200 but film scenes run faster.
Think you can't slow down CD32 to run like an A500 (perhaps with a PCMCIA RAM Expansion inserted on an A1200, but probably you will get different speed, again this is not possible for your CD32).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga magazines - Amiga Magazine Rack - Mozilla Firefox (2014-02-17 09.08.24).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	39062  

Last edited by dirk_the_daring; 17 February 2014 at 09:38.
Old 17 February 2014, 10:31   #149
earok

Thanks for the explanation Dirk

Blaze, I found out what the problem with Another World was - the startup script had Windows instead of Unix line endings! Doh!
Old 17 February 2014, 11:39   #150
blaze-f

Guys, thank you both

Tonight i'll try to compare cutscene speed in flashback from v.0.3 and current version of compilation. I think that it's slightly different.
Old 17 February 2014, 23:59   #151
blaze-f

Yeah, i forgot to set 2 buttons mode for second player in MK2. Sorry, man ^^
Old 20 February 2014, 17:00   #152
lentivector
Zone Friend

Hi again. I lost my internet connection for a while.
some answers:
- XTR runs well in my cd32
- XP8 starts normally, but at a certain time during the first stage it goes in loop, with no enemies on the screen and the background that flows to infinite. That's strange because it doesn't happen in winUAE
- EPIC I think requires a mouse not a keyboard
- Moonstone I remember it's fully playable without nor mouse nor keyboard

some requests:
- atari st conversion of Forgotten World (WHD Load)
- Zeewolf 1 or 2
- Batman returns (Bha, not really interested at all, I never finished the first stage)
- Total football (give it a try, but I remember that the whdLoad requires 3MB)
- I've found speed, a textured PD game in which you run to find an exit. It is also be playable in 3d anaglyph mode: http://aminet.net/game/demo/Speed.lha
If you want...
- And, what about: StarFighter'Yammen's Reign (I don't remeber the min HW specs)?

Thank you to the genius that made possible to play VK2. I really loved that game! I burned it in a CD but I cannot select the others 3 stages (those designed for VK1, to understand); the game just freeze.
And thank you for the insertion in the compilation (I hope the other 3 stages run on it, but I didn't try at now)

Please, please...capital punishment, at least in one release
Thank you again for your work. Bye
Old 20 February 2014, 21:16   #153
earok

Hi Lentivector! Good to see you again.

- Ah, I never finished the first level of XP8! I'll give it a try. Again, if the version on the disc is broken, I can roll back to the non AGA version.
- I had a look at the Epic manual, it appears to have lots of different controls. I think it might be possible to squeeze the important ones on a CD32 controller with an updated WHDLoad slave, but doesn't really look playable with just a joystick or mouse alone.
- I think Moonstone really requires a keyboard (I think you need to type in the names of your Knights, but you also need space for the inventory screen). This and Apocalypse would definitely be the number 1 and 2 games I'd love to have CD32 pad support for, maybe I should request them in the WHDLoad board.
- Hahaha yeah Batman Returns on amiga is terrible (I think it's a port of the awful Mega Drive version?) which is a real pity because Batman Returns on Sega Master System is fantastic.
- Will try Total Football, fortunately I have at least FIFA working for the next release.
- Capital Punishment, unfortunately I haven't been able to squeeze it into the CD32's memory it seems to require every byte possible on an A1200 but with the CD32's extended rom that's never going to work.
- I'll check out VK2, it may be that the way I'm booting it is using up slightly too much RAM to be able to switch track selection.
- Added those other games into the wish list/

A game I'm working on for the compilation is "Testament 2", an obscure Czech FPS. Since the game is fully multitask compatible it's possible to use Joy2Key to give it CD32 pad support. Unfortunately, saving won't be possible and it's a fairly long and difficult game so I'll see what I can do about creating saves throughout the game.

Edit: Did you see that Doman should be working past the first level now? You still need to do the copy protection thing but it looks like it doesn't toss you out of the game anymore.

Last edited by earok; 20 February 2014 at 22:23.
Old 20 February 2014, 22:45   #154
Telemachus

Hi earok, Do you have any small scripts that are good for creating a RAD device for reboot with a whdload start script?

I don't think whdload supports this does it?
Old 20 February 2014, 22:50   #155
earok

Hi Telemachus!

What specifically do you want to do? I'm using RAD devices in the compilation at the moment but only as a hacky way of automatically loading a specific game on startup (eg, in the startup-sequence if the file rad:wormsdc exists then it immediately unloads the RAD to recover memory as much memory as possible and boots Worms Directors Cut)

Edit: Something I forgot, you could mount the rad, use "echo" to insert commands into a script with > and >>, do a soft reboot and have the startup-sequence run the script on the rad. I could write you an example when I get home from work.

Last edited by earok; 20 February 2014 at 22:56.
Old 20 February 2014, 23:09   #156
Telemachus

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Hi Telemachus!

What specifically do you want to do? I'm using RAD devices in the compilation at the moment but only as a hacky way of automatically loading a specific game on startup (eg, in the startup-sequence if the file rad:wormsdc exists then it immediately unloads the RAD to recover memory as much memory as possible and boots Worms Directors Cut)

Edit: Something I forgot, you could mount the rad, use "echo" to insert commands into a script with > and >>, do a soft reboot and have the startup-sequence run the script on the rad. I could write you an example when I get home from work.
I'm trying to use AGS2 and in the .run file used to be called .start I'm trying to tell to it to create a RAD device and restart and the load the game.

I was using one of the old compilations as a template but it doesn't seem to work correctly.
Old 21 February 2014, 06:34   #157
earok

Ok, this is how I'd do it. Admittedly it's probably very rough and hacky but it should recover most memory (as it forces the RAD disk to dismount as soon as it's no longer needed).

Put something like this in your game .run or .start

Code:
C:Mount C:RAD
echo "cd sys:games" > RAD:start
echo "C:WHDLoad 1943.slave DATA=1943 PRELOAD" >> RAD:start
Reboot
> means add a line to a new file, >> means append a line to an existing file.

Add this bit to your startup-sequence

Code:
C:Assign >NIL: RAD: EXISTS
IF NOT WARN
copy rad:start ram:start
remrad force rad: >nil:
execute ram:start
hardreset
Endif
Edit: Make sure you've got all of the required utilities in your C folder eg remrad
Old 21 February 2014, 10:42   #158
Cobe

I had luck with XTR! But only twice... and I tried more than a dozens of time.
In meanwhile I was trying some games on your compilation, which I like a lot, and stumbled on Bratwrust option menu problem on real cd32. On emulator you can change everything but on real cd32 I cant change any option. I can move up, down but left/right wont change anything and it is needed because by default p1 is keyboard, p2 joy2, p3 off, p4 off and even if you go to start game, wich would be pointless because you could play only against nonexisting keyboard player, you can't get to the game because on selection screen both players have to choose it's vehiacle and press ok.
Old 21 February 2014, 12:25   #159
earok

Thanks for the report Cobe! I've replicated the issue with Bratwurst and can't seem to come up with a solution. I'll take it out of the next release.

Re XTR: Glad it's worked at least once! The next release will be slightly tighter on RAM usage (for Super Street Fighter II's sake) which might make XTR a bit more reliable.
Old 21 February 2014, 18:54   #160
Telemachus

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Ok, this is how I'd do it. Admittedly it's probably very rough and hacky but it should recover most memory (as it forces the RAD disk to dismount as soon as it's no longer needed).

Put something like this in your game .run or .start

Code:
echo "cd sys:games" > RAD:start
echo "C:WHDLoad 1943.slave DATA=1943 PRELOAD" >> RAD:start
Reboot
> means add a line to a new file, >> means append a line to an existing file.

Add this bit to your startup-sequence

Code:
IF NOT WARN
hardreset
Endif
Edit: Make sure you've got all of the required utilities in your C folder eg remrad
I tried this script and it reboots and just displays the cli with no message.

echo "CD32:c/Assign DEVS: CD32evs" >> RAD:start
echo "CD CD32:Games/ActionFighter" >> RAD:start
echo "CD32:c/WHDLoadCD32 ActionFighter.Slave Data=Data Custom3=1" >> RAD:start
Reboot

<startup-sequence>
IF NOT WARN
hardreset