English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 January 2014, 16:48   #41
Retro1234

Theres a PD comp here - http://www.amigapd.com/cd32.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Hi all,

I've started working on a CD32 compilation, using Lennon Lives' toolkit and WHDLoad slaves that add CD32 joypad support to otherwise keyboard-required games.
Kid Gloves II
New Zealand story - Second button Jump
Mega Lo Mania - You can play with Joypad
Shadow of the Beast III - JST - Dont know memory spec etc and I always get Graphics bugs on all installs of this game but great CD32 Pad patch.

Last edited by Retro1234; 14 January 2014 at 16:53.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 January 2014, 22:37   #42
earok

@other_reality agreed! Though my main focus with this compilation is to have a CD filled with games that we know work solidly with just a stock CD32 and gamepad (my frustration with the other 100+ compilations is that many games are either unplayable without a keyboard and mouse or just don't work at all). I may look at splitting into genres when and if I run out of space working on this one.

@boo_boo thanks! added into the list. I've never had much success with JST on the CD32 but I can try it, do you have a link to the Shadow of the Beast III patch?
Old 14 January 2014, 22:56   #43
Zak
Zap´em

Why no mouse games? You can just plug the mouse into the CD32, you wouldn´t need modifications or expansion sets for it to work.
Old 14 January 2014, 23:35   #44
lentivector
Zone Friend

I tested rally championship (it is the AGA version? I remember it was better...) and your compilation in winuae but I'm awaiting your next release of your compilation with this game inside. Do you really were able to add virtual karting and xtreme racing?
you're becoming my personal idol. I will burn the iso of your next release for testing, I promise!
Old 14 January 2014, 23:40   #45
Retro1234

I uploaded SOTB3 with JST4.8 to the Zone hope it works its a great patch - If not maybe try something like.

EXECUTE C:MakeRAD
CD CD0:GAMES/SOTB3
JST4.8 HDLOAD JOYPAD SOTB3HD
Old 14 January 2014, 23:46   #46
earok

@zak I don't have a mouse I might put in mouse required games later though

@lentivector Haha! It's definitely the AGS version (7 disk!). (Edit: Do you want me to add the OCS version too?)

Yes both Virtual Karting and Xtreme Racing seem to work, at least in WinUAE with CD32 settings. However Xtreme Racing will only run in low res mode (basically looks like there's a checkerboard pattern overlay) and I can't guarantee Virtual Karting will look correct on the console.

Last edited by earok; 14 January 2014 at 23:52.
Old 15 January 2014, 07:23   #47
earok

@Boo Boo looks like we can chalk that one up as a victory! Your JST setup appears to work just fine, it'll be in the next release.

@lentivector Did you see 4D Sports Driving? I was stoked to get that one working in the collection.
Old 15 January 2014, 10:26   #48
other_reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
@other_reality agreed! Though my main focus with this compilation is to have a CD filled with games that we know work solidly with just a stock CD32 and gamepad (my frustration with the other 100+ compilations is that many games are either unplayable without a keyboard and mouse or just don't work at all). I may look at splitting into genres when and if I run out of space working on this one.
I see your point, although I have a mouse and a keyboard ! To be honest, I hate the cd32 controller, I prefer my metallic single button joysticks, but I guess that's just me ! I do have a couple of the original pads though, and I -have- to use them in some games that require them.

I agree that most people want a straightforward joypad solution though, so I'm perfectly ok with that, I look forward to your final comp/s !
Old 15 January 2014, 10:35   #49
earok

@other_reality I understand your frustration, to be honest I actually kind of like the CD32 joypad except for it's awful build quality and mediocre dpad.

My one actually refuses to exit two button mode some of the time, fortunately I've got a Honey Bee as well that works fine all of the time (definitely recommended - if you can find one).
Old 15 January 2014, 10:40   #50
other_reality

@earok Yes, I've played a bit with a honey bee, definitely better than the stock one. I just hate joypads in general, for the Amiga at least, gaming feels kinda awkward with dpads
Old 19 January 2014, 01:59   #51
earok

I've uploaded a test version of the next release (which includes 60 games, but doesn't yet have all of the images and text files, so I haven't yet credited all of the slave and patch makers whose work was included)

The new games seem to work OK, though Prime Mover's loading times are really really long.

Please give it a test, I'll try to upload a completed version in the next few days.

https:///#!gMoW2C7I!Tltry1...VjYEQVDdX8GRTo
Old 19 January 2014, 16:53   #52
SolderPCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentivector View Post
Can I suggest some games? I am now out from amiga's world, but in searching of new cd32 game compilations, I resumed an old discussion in which I told about a personal compilation project. I don't have anymore any files of my project but I remember that the games listed worked perfectly in a cd32 emulated with win-uae, so could you try with them?
Games working in my compilation:
Advantage tennis (keyboard)
bratwurst (an additictive aminet 2/4 players game, roketz clone)
brutaltenia (addictive aminet worms game 1/2 players)
coolspot
Epic
globalgladiators
rally championship aga (keyboard)
rally championship ecs
super takwondo master
warmup (keyboard)
satan (keyboard?)
castle kingdoms (shit game)

games not already tested in my compilation:
disc
pegasus
micro mortal tennis
super tennis champ (consider seriously)
drivin'force (required original disks)
power drift (reqired original disks)
big run
prawo
dogs of war

Could you also consider Snow Bros and liquid kid.

If you only would add Advantage tennis, rally championship AGA, Epic and Snow Bros I will be very happy. I really loved these games. Good work
Cool Spot and Global Gladiators do not work, The slaves need to be rewritten maybe by StingRay if PM and ask him kindly.

Because of the way the games map to the memory they don't like it when certain parts of the chipram are occupied by other devices etc CD0 or DF1 and will hang,

I think the games need the john twiddy trackloader taken out and the data stored in files and memory map changed.
Old 20 January 2014, 10:09   #53
earok

Ah, damn it :S they also crash on my CD32 but it doesn't crash at all on WinUAE which makes it very difficult to try different things to see if there's a solution. I'll substitute them for two different games, thanks.
Old 20 January 2014, 14:28   #54
Cobe

Great work! If you're still concidering adding games I loved PPHammer but it requiers keyboard. Also it would be fabulous if anyone could get Aladdin and Lion King to work on cd32. They work on plain A1200 from disks. It shouldn't be impossible to get them work on cd32. Also as I tried Capital punishment works but also requiers keyboard.
Btw I've done for myself one compilation(nearley 90 games) mostly containing 2p simultaneous games that don't require keyboard, mouse or expansion and don't exist version for cd32. I didn't add pics and txt. If anyone's interested I guess I could upload it somewhere. But I added option from menu to loadWB and access some more games. So I doubt that it's probably against some copyright?
Old 20 January 2014, 16:15   #55
SolderPCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
Great work! If you're still concidering adding games I loved PPHammer but it requiers keyboard. Also it would be fabulous if anyone could get Aladdin and Lion King to work on cd32. They work on plain A1200 from disks. It shouldn't be impossible to get them work on cd32. Also as I tried Capital punishment works but also requiers keyboard.
Btw I've done for myself one compilation(nearley 90 games) mostly containing 2p simultaneous games that don't require keyboard, mouse or expansion and don't exist version for cd32. I didn't add pics and txt. If anyone's interested I guess I could upload it somewhere. But I added option from menu to loadWB and access some more games. So I doubt that it's probably against some copyright?
Aladdin does not work for a couple of reasons the .slave requires too much ram and if you have enough ram it runs into the same fault as Global Gladiators and Cool Spot. It crashes when loading.

Aladdin could run if someone makes an RNC Loader version of it and fixes the memory crash.

Lion King would probably run if an RNC Loader version was made, it works if you have more ram.
Old 20 January 2014, 19:22   #56
earok

Thanks @Cobe,

As @SoldierPCB points out neither Lion King nor Aladdin will work on a stock CD32 (Believe me I've tried). Since AGA games try to consume the full 2mb of memory, as I understand it there's basically no space left for the slave on top of that. The only exception to that I'm aware of is the slave for SlamTilt (and I presume Psygore pulled off some kind of coding miracle to get that to go in 2mb!)

That compilation does sound pretty good, would you be willing to let me merge your compilation into mine? I'll be happy to do all of the pics and text.

Also I'll add your suggestions into the list.

On a completely unrelated side-note, I've been playing with the recent unofficial ports from Atari ST (Gauntlet, Joust, Super Sprint etc) and they seem to work pretty well. Gauntlet requires keys to start but it works perfectly with the Joy2kbd utility (so I've mapped every required key to the CD32 joypad) so I'll definitely chuck that in the next build

Last edited by earok; 20 January 2014 at 23:42.
Old 21 January 2014, 00:21   #57
Cobe

I'll pass you my compilation gladly. Just write how would you like me to do that. I have on it few interesting mods from my country from 90s that I stumbled accross on my first and only backup made for Amiga. I would be glad if you would include some of that. Also I found some of mine that I was making back in 90s in Octamed and later on PC but they are 8 channel and some even have 16bit samples. My favorite is theme from Ghost and gouls with full drums. I'll try to convert that and pack it in 4ch so hippo could play it.
When you mentioned Atari ST that reminded me of my first game on C64 I really loved it it's Flimbos Quest and I tried it for Amiga and it also needs keyboard.
And little off topic, does at all exists Humans 3 for cd32? As I know it should exist but I never found it anywhere. I found disk version installed and burned and it works but lacks of animations and maybe music as I can recall.
Old 21 January 2014, 01:05   #58
SolderPCB

Not all AGA games require 2MB chip ram, in the case of Aladdin and Lion King I don't think they require the full 2MB chip and if without reliance on a kickrom they could be made to run with OS swap.

I've ran Lion King on a CD32 with only floppy drive with 1.6mb free chip.

The 2MB for AGA games in many cases is just a based assumption for whdload slaves if they were looked into more by maybe someone like Psygore you mentioned they might be patched to work.

If you want keyboard games patched for a cd32 controller request them in the bugreport on the whdload page & whdload sub forum here.

They will most likely add a custom tooltype to help you pass initial start selection screens.
Old 21 January 2014, 05:32   #59
amiga1260

Could you add the following games:

Fightin' Spirit
Mortal Kombat 1 and 2.
Old 21 January 2014, 08:13   #60
earok

@amiga1260 Certainly they're now on the list
AdSense AdSense