English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 24 January 2014, 03:02   #81
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Retrofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lanzarote/Spain
Posts: 5,667
Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Yep, now is wonderful. I wonder what the heavy Greek joysticks lovers will think about it.
Retrofan is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 January 2014, 07:51   #82
Hewitson
Registered User
Hewitson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 35
Posts: 2,235
I have NO idea why anyone would want the stick on the right and the buttons on the left, but I think it's a bloody good looking joystick. Are the cases custom made or are they an off the shelf item?
Hewitson is offline  
Old 24 January 2014, 09:31   #83
dJOS
Registered User

dJOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I have NO idea why anyone would want the stick on the right and the buttons on the left, but I think it's a bloody good looking joystick. Are the cases custom made or are they an off the shelf item?

Simple, unless you are playing a game that supports 6 buttons with insane fighting combos, having the stick on the right for right handed players is better as the right hand has better fine motor control - this leaves your less dexterous hand to simply mash the buttons.
dJOS is offline  
Old 24 January 2014, 09:47   #84
amigakit.com
Registered User

amigakit.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: www.amigakit.com
Posts: 1,709
Hi

The cases are a custom made design we manufacturer locally.

Thanks.
amigakit.com is offline  
Old 24 January 2014, 11:23   #85
Hewitson
Registered User
Hewitson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 35
Posts: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
Simple, unless you are playing a game that supports 6 buttons with insane fighting combos, having the stick on the right for right handed players is better as the right hand has better fine motor control - this leaves your less dexterous hand to simply mash the buttons.
A right handed person can press the fire button faster with their right hand than they can with their left hand. That is why almost every single arcade machine ever made has the buttons on the right.
Hewitson is offline  
Old 24 January 2014, 11:34   #86
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: UK
Age: 39
Posts: 2,119
So what does it weigh?
Steve is offline  
Old 24 January 2014, 12:03   #87
dJOS
Registered User

dJOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
A right handed person can press the fire button faster with their right hand than they can with their left hand. That is why almost every single arcade machine ever made has the buttons on the right.

I know many right handed gamers that prefer right hand sticks for most games for the reason I've mentioned ... Fps on the PC is a great example too, all the fine control is done with a mouse in the players dominant / most dexterous hand.
dJOS is offline  
Old 24 January 2014, 12:54   #88
amigakit.com
Registered User

amigakit.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: www.amigakit.com
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
So what does it weigh?
Around 1.1KG
amigakit.com is offline  
Old 25 January 2014, 10:52   #89
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Bamiga2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Finland
Age: 40
Posts: 3,211
Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
I know many right handed gamers that prefer right hand sticks for most games for the reason I've mentioned ... Fps on the PC is a great example too, all the fine control is done with a mouse in the players dominant / most dexterous hand.
It's funny, most of the C-64/Amiga-gamers I know or have known have almost all used left hand for the stick and right hand for buttons. As do I
Bamiga2002 is offline  
Old 25 January 2014, 11:59   #90
dJOS
Registered User

dJOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
It's funny, most of the C-64/Amiga-gamers I know or have known have almost all used left hand for the stick and right hand for buttons. As do I

I've noticed folks with a lot of arcade time use that layout too just because that's what they are used too.

Have a look at most fps games on a console like the x360 and again you'll see the default is the right hand controls the "look" function via the right hand side stick because most ppl are right handed and have better fine motor control and thus aiming is more accurate than if the left stick was used.
dJOS is offline  
Old 27 January 2014, 14:04   #91
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

FOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barry / UK
Age: 39
Posts: 5,591
Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
I've noticed folks with a lot of arcade time use that layout too just because that's what they are used too.

Have a look at most fps games on a console like the x360 and again you'll see the default is the right hand controls the "look" function via the right hand side stick because most ppl are right handed and have better fine motor control and thus aiming is more accurate than if the left stick was used.
I think this is where the problem is. Im right handed and I have always used my joysticks (Bug, Python etc etc.) with my right hand.
Now consoles use direction on the left, so you naturally get used to it.
I never noticed until, the other month. When I was using an emulator on my tablet.

I said I would prefer the stick on on the right, but other people would want it on the left.
FOL is offline  
Old 27 January 2014, 14:15   #92
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant
Predseda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The City of Townsville
Age: 39
Posts: 4,509
I always play with my stick in the middle... oh, wait...
Predseda is offline  
Old 27 January 2014, 14:20   #93
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

FOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barry / UK
Age: 39
Posts: 5,591
Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I always play with my stick in the middle... oh, wait...
lol, Dont think we have plans for a three handed joystick.
FOL is offline  
Old 27 January 2014, 16:38   #94
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Thorham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rotterdam/Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Now consoles use direction on the left, so you naturally get used to it.
Actually, for some reason, those console joypads have had the d-pad on the left since the Nes (possibly earlier). I wonder why? Modeled after the arcade setups, perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I always play with my stick in the middle... oh, wait...
I'm trying to quit that, it's not wholesome

Last edited by Thorham; 27 January 2014 at 21:03.
Thorham is offline  
Old 27 January 2014, 18:16   #95
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Now consoles use direction on the left, so you naturally get used to it.
That's not really correct. Arcade controls have been like this for many years before consoles. Joystick on the left, buttons to the right of the joystick. This is by far the best arrangement IMO.

For me it was always unnatural to use a joystick with the right hand, but you usuallly have the grip-type joysticks which are easier to grab with your right hand then. Joysticks like Comp Pro or TAC2 have always felt weird because I had to use them with my right hand.
Akira is offline  
Old 27 January 2014, 21:35   #96
alkis21
Zone Friend
alkis21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Athens, Greece
Age: 42
Posts: 1,276
Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Yep, now is wonderful. I wonder what the heavy Greek joysticks lovers will think about it.
The only reason I haven't bought it yet is because I don't have that much space on my desk in front of the Amiga. Only 12 centimeters. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would have loved it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	38824  
alkis21 is offline  
Old 27 January 2014, 23:05   #97
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,278
The placement of the stick and button is an easy choice for you right- and left-handed gamers.

However, it's more complicated than that if you're ambidextrous, like me. I prefer the stick on the left for playing some games, but on the right for playing others.
prowler is offline  
Old 27 January 2014, 23:28   #98
dJOS
Registered User

dJOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 856
It depends on the genre for me eg most games my right hand holds the stick but for beat ups with six buttons to press and combos I use left hand arcade layouts.
dJOS is offline  
Old 28 January 2014, 13:53   #99
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

FOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barry / UK
Age: 39
Posts: 5,591
Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
That's not really correct. Arcade controls have been like this for many years before consoles. Joystick on the left, buttons to the right of the joystick. This is by far the best arrangement IMO.
Yes, I understand that. However joypads are on the left.
I remember Sega doing a stick for Master System? or MegaDrive? that had it on the right.

This proberly also explains why I sucked at arcade platformers. A joypad on the left I can manage, but a stick, aweful, .

What about Guanlet, that had controls every which way. Crazy.
FOL is offline  
Old 28 January 2014, 14:02   #100
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,269
Yes, joypads follow the standard arcade layout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I remember Sega doing a stick for Master System? or MegaDrive? that had it on the right.y.
Master System

Clearly this one sucks

Megadrive:

They learned their lesson.
Akira is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quickshot Python: crap joystick or crappest joystick ever? T_hairy_bootson Nostalgia & memories 141 13 September 2016 16:36
Amiga Future through Amigakit? daro2096 Retrogaming General Discussion 2 08 February 2013 03:22
Amiga Forever 2011 Premium At AmigaKit.com amigakit.com MarketPlace 0 29 July 2011 01:45
Can Amigakit get hold of old new stock of other Amiga Models? Kitty MarketPlace 10 04 November 2009 05:24
Total Amiga Magazine 20 in stock at AmigaKit.com amigakit.com News 0 26 April 2005 01:21

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.27464 seconds with 12 queries