English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 28 January 2015, 18:05   #521
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
The basic card with 17MHz and 9MByte will sell for 79,90 EUR, and upgrade fees for more memory, more speed and Maprom option will sell for as low as 5,- EUR per feature (upgrades can be installed through the internet).
Hi Jens,
does that mean that you'll artificially lock features of the card (like the amount of memory) on purpose and then let them be unlocked by buying a code, Intel-style?

Thanks
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 January 2015, 19:05   #522
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Hi Jens,
does that mean that you'll artificially lock features of the card (like the amount of memory) on purpose and then let them be unlocked by buying a code, Intel-style?
Yes, the hardware "is there", but can't access all memory or can't exceed the clock that you've paid for. Reason is that these 16MHz CPUs may not all run at higher speeds (although a large part does), and it may take a few hours until an instability can be seen.

I can't possibly test all CPUs for overclocking-capability, so I have implemented a way to unlock and re-lock the overclocking feature: If it doesn't work for you or you don't like it for any other reason, I can give you a refund. Developing this refund-method was a necessity for overclocking, but it also works for the memory upgrade(s).

The ACA1221 is a test of this new model - I'm selling the basic version with no margin, and only make money on the upgrades. The ACA1221EC always comes fully-featured. Should the new model work out, I will also apply it to other products. It certainly increases quantities for "same version produced" and reduces stock-keeping effort, because it's "one version fits all" from a hardware side.

Jens
Old 29 January 2015, 16:21   #523
Solo761

Btw. if someone needs an ACA1220 retroami shops still has some.

I ordered one last week to beef up my ACA500 a bit. I didn't knew there were new cards in the works so I rushed to get one while they still have them . But who knows. Maybe it'll end up in my other A1200, it only has old 8MB expansion. Other one has ACA1232 .
Old 29 January 2015, 16:51   #524
Pavel
The Swede

Jens, I just order a 1233 from amigakit. Not being very familiar with Amiga hardware, what settings will I have to use in order to use this card with the ACA500 in a regular A500 with a 500k trapdoor ram expansion?

I'm currently using a cf card with OS 3.1 installed and WHDLoad works with only a small handfull games and the screen keeps blinking. I'm hoping to remedy this with the ACA1233 card..

/P

Quote:
Speed-wise, the ACA1233 with 40MHz is the fastest you can get. It will give you 127MBytes fastmem and 1MByte Maprom option, which is fully supported by the ACA500 ROM.

Jens
Old 29 January 2015, 18:09   #525
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Pavel, you'll be all set, just bare in mind some games need more chip ram but for the most part you'll be fine, just keep your workbench basic.

You might want to look into a 2mb chip ram solution.
Old 29 January 2015, 20:42   #526
Pavel
The Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Pavel, you'll be all set, just bare in mind some games need more chip ram but for the most part you'll be fine, just keep your workbench basic.

You might want to look into a 2mb chip ram solution.
Great, but how do I add ram to get 2mb chip ram?
Sorry if the question seems silly, but I have very little knowledge when it comes to these things..

Is the 1MByte Maprom option that Jens mentioned what I need to enable in order to get the full 2mb?
Old 29 January 2015, 20:47   #527
Schoenfeld
electricky.

The Amiga generally has two different kinds of memory: Chipram and Fastram. Fastram is ONLY for the processor, and it's therefore faster, because it doesn't need to share timeslots.

Chipram is shared between the Amiga chips and the processor. This makes it slow if seen from the processor side.

Maprom has nothing to do with Chipram. It's a method to copy the ROM contents to Fastram, and then make it appear like it's ROM. This speeds up execution of many things, as Fastram is faster than ROM.

To expand chipram, the only chance is to exchange the Agnus chip with a board that has the 2Mbyte chipram Agnus and the required memory. The maximum that you can get is 2MBytes chipram.

Jens
Old 29 January 2015, 22:36   #528
dJOS

Quote:
Yes, the hardware "is there", but can't access all memory or can't exceed the clock that you've paid for. Reason is that these 16MHz CPUs may not all run at higher speeds (although a large part does), and it may take a few hours until an instability can be seen.

Jens

Interesting strategy, IBM used to do that in the mainframe days and when you paid for an upgrade the Tech came out and basically turned on the hardware you already had sitting there!

Old 30 January 2015, 00:20   #529
cpiac64

i have an a500 rev 3 and aca500 don't start, er11 or other, tomorrow net connector but an expansion 2 mega work, any idea?
Old 30 January 2015, 02:33   #530
Solo761

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
Interesting strategy, IBM used to do that in the mainframe days and when you paid for an upgrade the Tech came out and basically turned on the hardware you already had sitting there!

They still do it that way
Old 30 January 2015, 07:55   #531
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiac64 View Post
i have an a500 rev 3 and aca500 don't start, er11 or other, tomorrow net connector but an expansion 2 mega work, any idea?
Don't think it works on Rev 3 A500's
Old 30 January 2015, 07:56   #532
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo761 View Post
Btw. if someone needs an ACA1220 retroami shops still has some.

I ordered one last week to beef up my ACA500 a bit. I didn't knew there were new cards in the works so I rushed to get one while they still have them . But who knows. Maybe it'll end up in my other A1200, it only has old 8MB expansion. Other one has ACA1232 .

I just looked and it seems they are sold out.
Old 30 January 2015, 10:02   #533
Solo761

Yup, someone on facebook group asked and I went to check the status and it's sold out. That was quick O_o.
Old 11 February 2015, 19:45   #534
Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post

How about ACA500 expansion to 4 MB FAST RAM?
Additional RAM chip(s) could be soldered to ACA500 PCB + firmware change and we could have all we need with ACA500 for WHDLoad. With no need to make the sandwich even bigger with additional cards.

Such expansion pack (RAM + firmware) could be sold as well And then to be mounted by those whose warranty expired or who don't care about it
Old 12 February 2015, 00:07   #535
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Jens is producing a cheaper A1200 Ram upgrade that will be compatible with the ACA500
Old 12 February 2015, 12:24   #536
Jacques

That would be nice (if enhancing ACA500 board itself won't be offered), is there any teaser-information available about this RAM expansion (capacity, provisional price, etc)? Hopefully it won't be too big card

Last edited by Jacques; 12 February 2015 at 12:31.
Old 12 February 2015, 13:16   #537
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
is there any teaser-information available about this RAM expansion (capacity, provisional price, etc)? Hopefully it won't be too big card
Try this post:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=519

Trouble with "soldering on a customer's board" is that it must be done by a technician. This costs some money, and sending the card back&forth costs another chunk of money. The other alternative is to mass-produce and mass-test an accelerator that will work on the ACA500. In the end, this will be cheaper than one-off soldering and patching on an ACA500.

Jens
P.S: Added a pic of the ACA1221. Note that the RapidRoad connector will NOT work on the ACA500, but only on an A1200.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACA1221_with_RapidRoad_top.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	43212  
Old 12 February 2015, 13:42   #538
Jacques

Oh, so no just RAM expansion, but you mean another ACA (1221 - the one with unblocking features)... 80 EUR, sorry, that makes whole thing twice as expensive as single ACA500 only for a sake of more RAM (otherwise ACA500 is just enough to have) and whole expansion gets too big (for my personal preferention).

I guess you overestimate (maybe for a reason ) cost and trouble of soldering one or two smd RAM chips (5 mins of work, soldering smd is no rocket science in 2015) to ACA500 which together with firmware upgrade would do 4 MB which would be fine for most Amiga 500 users, I guess.
Finding someone to solder SMD is no big deal, but... I guess it's more of a marketing that ACA500 was reduced to 2 MB in first place. No offence, while you obviously produce and offer good stuff, it's right of a potential customer to comment on it anyway

I'd be more than happy though to buy "official" 4MB FAST RAM (chips) upgrade (+firmware) for ACA500 at reasonable price if it ever happens (warranty is expiring in time anyway). For both cost and cosmetic purposes - not to make big A500 even bigger

Last edited by Jacques; 12 February 2015 at 13:49.
Old 12 February 2015, 16:16   #539
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Too big? You did take a look at the pic? This is probably the smallest card that has ever been made for the A1200.

Price-wise, I may be able to offer something even cheaper if I can get cheaper CPUs. There's a bunch of 68EC020FN16 CPUs out there, and I could change the design of the ACA1221EC to use the FN package. If I can get hold of enough CPUs, that is (otherwise a production run would not make sense). Such a card would come with about the same CPU power as the A1200, so it would aim at ACA500 users only.

The "few minutes" that you're quoting for soldering a chip quickly add up to a whle hour if you take into account that the card must be shipped, packed/unpacked, tested and worked on manually. A technician's hour is at least 60,- EUR plus VAT, so you easily exceed the price of the ACA1221 if you let the business gain a few EURs (after they have added a share of the standard monthly cost that you have just for running the business "idle"). You can't compare hobby-prices to an official offering by a company that you (as a customer) want to hold responsible for warranty, after-sales service and *maybe* even further developments for your favourite computer.

Jens
Old 12 February 2015, 16:42   #540
paulo_becas

Quote:
A technician's hour is at least 60,- EUR plus VAT, so you easily exceed the price of the ACA1221 if you let the business gain a few EURs (after they have added a share of the standard monthly cost that you have just for running the business "idle"). You can't compare hobby-prices to an official offering by a company that you (as a customer) want to hold responsible for warranty, after-sales service and *maybe* even further developments for your favourite computer.
I totally agree with you and i think your prices are great considering all the money people are asking for 2nd hand hardware with 20 plus years.
To get a new accelerator for A1200 for 80 is just amazing, this, off course, for people who intend to use them just for gaming, then again, anything above that people are always willing to pay a little more.
AdSense AdSense