English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 28 July 2014, 15:38   #481
jdryyz

I am ashamed to mention that I did not create the recovery disk when I first received the unit. I was not sure if that was going to require a CF or a floppy disk and I only have floppy disks at the moment. I see now that it just needs a floppy but if the flash memory is suspect now, it will not do me any good to make a backup, correct?

So, even though I clearly see the MapROM option saying "off", it may actually be on? That would appear to explain what I am seeing. I have no way to recover to a clean environment, though.

Hmmm....then again, if someone else has made a recovery disk, is it possible for another ACA500 owner to use it to recover? Is the data written to disk in a special format? Is it just a file??

The flash environment isn't too damaged that it does not work, it is just not saving properly it would seem.

As for a noticeable improvement with maprom enabled, that will be hard to judge right now since I am only working from floppies. I do not have any software available that I can use to test it further. I was planning on loading a lot of .adf files once I receive my CF cards in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMidnick View Post
Try to go back to your original settings with your recovery disk and then reflash it with the last firmware.

Mine was corrupt at some point : I was not able to switch off the maprom function. Maybe this tip will solve your problem like me...

If you activate maprom, do you see speed improvement in your WB ? How much memory you have when activited, 1mb or 1.5mb ?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 July 2014, 15:44   #482
jdryyz

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I am not yet using any CF cards.

I'm still waiting for them to arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I had a similar problem with my ACA500 setup and it turned out to be an incompatible CF card forcing a default profile with maprom enabled to be loaded, I changed the CF and it was fine after
Old 28 July 2014, 15:47   #483
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi, well I can say then 100% sure CF isn't you problem

I'd be happy to ADF a copy of my flash backup for you, I assume it should be interchangable between ACA500's?
Old 28 July 2014, 15:50   #484
jdryyz

I would think so.

Jens ??!

Of course, I would still have a problem working with the .adf file until I get my CF cards.

I have no other functioning Amiga environments that support floppy drives. I do have plenty of WinUAE though....but no Catweasel.

Quote:
Hi, well I can say then 100% sure CF isn't you problem

I'd be happy to ADF a copy of my flash backup for you, I assume it should be interchangable between ACA500's?
Old 28 July 2014, 15:54   #485
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Back in the day I used to use 720k Disks and split/join ADF's and later a networking cable to my PC's printer port. The good old days

Otherwise it's just as easy to wait for your CF and then just write the latest flash.
Old 28 July 2014, 17:09   #486
jdryyz

I was considering similar scenarios with my setup as well since it could have been a long time before I settled on the right CF card. One of the possibilities I had in mind was this:

http://adfsender.stoeggl.com/

And then something really old and perhaps not worth the time at all:

Ahhh...I believe you are also talking about ParNET. I still have a ParNET cable in a box somewhere but I did not label it properly. It could just be a standard parallel cable and I know hooking that up between computers could be damaging. Actually, this was intended for use between TWO Amiga computers. Since I only have one REAL Amiga (the A500), the other one would have to be WinUAE. I somehow doubt there is ParNET support for WinUAE since the built-in bsdsocket library networking is so successful.

Quote:
Back in the day I used to use 720k Disks and split/join ADF's and later a networking cable to my PC's printer port. The good old days

Otherwise it's just as easy to wait for your CF and then just write the latest flash.

Last edited by jdryyz; 28 July 2014 at 17:17.
Old 28 July 2014, 18:48   #487
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Yes, the recovery disk works for all ACA500.

Jens
Old 28 July 2014, 18:50   #488
jdryyz

Excellent!

fitzsteve -- send me your .adf. PM ok? Otherwise, I can forward an email address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Yes, the recovery disk works for all ACA500.

Jens
Old 01 August 2014, 01:51   #489
jdryyz

Sadly I must report that fitzsteve's recovery disk is not cooperating. Can anyone else here try making an .adf for me of their recovery disk?

It was also suggested that I just reinstall my firmware. I did so successfully, but there was no change in the settings. I still only see a maximum of 1.5MB FAST RAM.

If I am faced with no solution, do I just contact my retailer next? In this case, it was AmigaKit. Fortunately, the ACA500 appears to be back in stock.

Thank you.
Old 01 August 2014, 03:03   #490
Photon

Turn F4 off. And F5 on. I've never had $c0 memory on and I get the full amount (and also working with either physical trapdoor slowmem card or virtual ACA chipmem for the same physical card).

I doubt this will fail. But if it does, well, I've experienced once that I've had to press D, after having installed and removed the Kipper2k card (while ACA500 inserted).

After that, set your settings like in the screenshot, but turn F4 off and as Jens says F5 on.

Then press S and enter.

You didn't have a CF card inserted so it's not for you, but for those who get less memory than expected only when the card is in, check the total partition-buffers by typing addbuffers dh0: 0, addbuffers dh1: 0, and so on.
Old 01 August 2014, 04:15   #491
jdryyz

I have tried this as suggested by Jens, including the follow-up "D" for default. It does not help. Attached is my latest expert menu

Also interesting to note, even with the AUX CF turned off (IDE update off as well), my AUX CF card still mounts (and gobbles up an additional ~300k). Yes, I finally received my CF cards earlier this week. I do see the connection that buffers, mounted partitions, menu settings, etc. all have on available RAM, but nothing so far gets me that missing 512k chunk back.

I have also attached a sample WB 1.3 screen (booted from floppy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Turn F4 off. And F5 on. I've never had $c0 memory on and I get the full amount (and also working with either physical trapdoor slowmem card or virtual ACA chipmem for the same physical card).

I doubt this will fail. But if it does, well, I've experienced once that I've had to press D, after having installed and removed the Kipper2k card (while ACA500 inserted).

After that, set your settings like in the screenshot, but turn F4 off and as Jens says F5 on.

Then press S and enter.

You didn't have a CF card inserted so it's not for you, but for those who get less memory than expected only when the card is in, check the total partition-buffers by typing addbuffers dh0: 0, addbuffers dh1: 0, and so on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	expert2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	40756   Click image for larger version

Name:	wb13.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	40757  

Last edited by jdryyz; 01 August 2014 at 04:29.
Old 01 August 2014, 09:38   #492
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I think maybe something is causing your ACA to load up with a default profile, do you have another A500 to test with?
Old 01 August 2014, 15:56   #493
jdryyz

I do not.

I can say I have experienced another similar problem described here where it locks-up on system-initiated restarts. Another "soft" restart gets it back.

My A500 is a native NTSC model, not that that should matter. It has a PAL/NTSC switch but since I am using an RGB to S-Video adapter at the moment, I will have to keep it in NTSC mode.

I have also experimented with removing the trapdoor expansion. It had no impact on the available fast ram.

Quote:
I think maybe something is causing your ACA to load up with a default profile, do you have another A500 to test with?
Old 01 August 2014, 18:01   #494
jdryyz

Some good news

There is nothing wrong with my RTC. It was just a silly oversight on my part.
Old 02 August 2014, 02:07   #495
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post
Also interesting to note, even with the AUX CF turned off (IDE update off as well), my AUX CF card still mounts (and gobbles up an additional ~300k).
Bingo. F4+F5 should have worked too.

I think you get 1.8MB $c0 RAM _ONLY_ - 300K Aux stolen RAM, regardless of settings.

Agree with Fitzsteve, something is preventing the Expert Menu settings from getting stored/acted upon as you see them in the Expert Menu. Flash electrical error or firmware error.

Electrical error borking the flash store would mean the store check would lie to the firmware or the firmware would accept a failed store as an OK store. Highly unlikely.

I don't think there is a fault in acting upon the settings or the auto-detection of existing memory, since your chipram is detected etc. So new firmware to address the stored settings. This is as far as my logic takes me without looking at that code, which I will not due to allergy. Work allergy

Last edited by Photon; 02 August 2014 at 02:17.
Old 02 August 2014, 05:12   #496
jdryyz

I agree with this assessment. Only problem-- how do I correct it?? Will the recovery disk do the trick? Simply reflashing the firmware did not help.

Sorry about your allergy. I just got over mine on Thursday. By Monday, it will return again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Bingo. F4+F5 should have worked too.

I think you get 1.8MB $c0 RAM _ONLY_ - 300K Aux stolen RAM, regardless of settings.

Agree with Fitzsteve, something is preventing the Expert Menu settings from getting stored/acted upon as you see them in the Expert Menu. Flash electrical error or firmware error.

Electrical error borking the flash store would mean the store check would lie to the firmware or the firmware would accept a failed store as an OK store. Highly unlikely.

I don't think there is a fault in acting upon the settings or the auto-detection of existing memory, since your chipram is detected etc. So new firmware to address the stored settings. This is as far as my logic takes me without looking at that code, which I will not due to allergy. Work allergy
Old 02 August 2014, 20:55   #497
Photon

Well I guess I meant to say that when you suspect someone else's code, it's sort of an accusation. The suspicion can only be confirmed by looking at the actual lines of code, and I should before accusing, allergy was the excuse for not having done that.

If it's incorrect, then you'll have to wait for help in the thread which is correct.

If it's correct, then you'll have to wait for a new firmware version.

You could try someone's recovery disk or an earlier firmware version, but it's a long shot as I see it.
Old 03 August 2014, 05:22   #498
jdryyz

I tried back-flashing to the previous firmware. No luck. I then returned to the latest firmware and still no difference.

Does anyone else out there have a pristine, unmolested recovery disk they can convert to .adf and send to me?

Thanks!
Old 26 August 2014, 13:37   #499
Jacques

Hello Everyone,

did anyone had the chance to pair up ACA500 with KCS Power Board (hardware PC emulator) to use CF card as emulated PC's HDD? The emulator's software in fact supports Amiga 600's IDE, but I failed to make it work.

I described it in the following thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=35037&page=3
Old 26 August 2014, 13:47   #500
Riempie
Amiga freak

Talking about the ACA500...

An amiga friend of mine managed to put the ACA500 inside the A500.

See topic here in dutch (scroll down for pictures).

http://www.amigascene.nl/modules/new...er=ASC&start=0

I don't know the details but I thought it's worth mentioning...
AdSense AdSense