English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 27 October 2013, 12:36   #1
SuperPlay

Another help me with a 4GB CF card setup post

Please help!

I am now into my second day of trying to get my A1200 to boot Classic WorkBench from a 4GB CF card.

I have never done this before so I have been reading all sorts of forum posts and watched several videos on YouTube and I still cannot make this work in a my real A1200. I am now lost in all of the available information.

Setup:

Roms 3.00 39.106
Board REV 2B
Transcend 4GB CF x133

Summary!

Day 1:

Guided by:

[ Show youtube player ]

Cleared the cards partition using Windows 'diskpart' command
Booted into WB 3.1 and selected 'HD ToolBox'
This displayed the error "'Unit is not a disk' (Type 7)" when I selected ' read drive information'
If I ignored this is only lets me see the drive as a 20MB (or it may have been 10MB!)

So I moved on and tired HDinst (from Aminet)

This recognised the drive, so I set up the partitions and clicked "use" and then SAVE however on a reboot all of the partitions vanish!

Day 2:

Guided by:

[ Show youtube player ]

Using WinUAE
Add CF card as Hard Drive
Booted WB 3.1
Changed properties of 'HD toolbox' to SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device
Loaded HD ToolBox which does not show the "'Unit is not a disk' (Type 7)" error when 'read drive information' is selected.

Created partitions of:

DH0: 200 Meg (Bootable)
DH1: 1815 Meg
DH2: 1799 Meg

Changed the MaxTransfer to 0x1FE00 on all partitions

Installed Classic Workbench Lite using my WB 3.0 disks and all works perfect in WinUAE

Put the CF into my real 1200 and no boot, I just get the insert disk animation.

Boot from WB 3.1 disk
Run 'HD ToolBox' it sees a drive on 0 0 UNKNOWN
all I can do is select 'change drive type' all other options are greyed out.

Where now?

Old 27 October 2013, 13:05   #2
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi have a look at my guides in sig but you cant use the 3.9 use the lite
Old 27 October 2013, 16:22   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Did you see my Tutorial?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 October 2013, 17:59   #4
SuperPlay

fitzsteve:

I used your tutorial on day 1 and I picked up some useful info, however as noted in my first post on my real A1200 I just get "'Unit is not a disk' (Type 7)" when using HDtoolbox this is why I moved onto using WinUAE.

Thanks for making the Video :-)

johnim:

Thank you for your links. The guides look great, I am just working through them now.

However I have just been caught out.

For the past 3 hours I have been tying to work out why I was not able to get WinUAE/HDtoolbox to see the CF card anymore.

When I was adding the CF as a Hard Drive it was listed as:

? [3.7G,RW] Generic USB CF Reader 1.01 058F312D811

Loaded HDtoolbox and nothing ........

Tired all sorts, however I have just this second noticed in WinUAE when checking the settings for the xx time that the 'add hard drive' button had a nice hint.

Yes I should have noticed this 2 hours and 55 mins ago ;-) I was not running WinUAE as Administrator under Windows 8, must be my age

Now it sees the drive as:

[UNK] [3.7G,RW] eneric USB CF Reader 1.01 058F312D811

and so does HDtoolbox.

Well off for a quick brew and then back to it ...
Old 27 October 2013, 18:07   #5
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

mine do need an update but the basics are there

good luck

steves guide is great too
Old 27 October 2013, 20:03   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPlay View Post
fitzsteve:

I used your tutorial on day 1 and I picked up some useful info, however as noted in my first post on my real A1200 I just get "'Unit is not a disk' (Type 7)" when using HDtoolbox this is why I moved onto using WinUAE.

Thanks for making the Video :-)
Hi!

Have a read of this thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61666

It explains the error and why you see it, you can still go ahead and prepare the partitions like shown in my guide but you need to type in the brand name of the CF yourself.

The reason I prepare the CF on the real Amiga instead of WinUAE initially is to make sure it's totally clean of any Windows partition info

Good luck

Steve.
Old 27 October 2013, 20:21   #7
SuperPlay

Still have exactly the same problem.

Card works perfect in WinUAE (Classic Workbench Lite), however when I put the CF into my real 1200 it does not boot, I just get the insert disk animation.

Thanks for the link Steve I will have a look at this tomorrow, my head is about to explode ;-)
Old 27 October 2013, 20:30   #8
demolition
Unregistered User

Pay attention to the fact that you should launch WinUAE as administrator. If you haven't, then that could very well be why you have that problem.
Old 27 October 2013, 22:04   #9
SuperPlay

Last post for day 2, my eyes are sore

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Pay attention to the fact that you should launch WinUAE as administrator. If you haven't, then that could very well be why you have that problem.
I worked this out earlier, took me around 3 hours before I realised I had to do this ;-) Thanks for the suggestion though.

Steve: I booted into WB 3.1 again from floppy (on real hardware) and run HDToolbox it sees a hard drive as:

SCSI 0 0 Unknown

This time I ignored the "'Unit is not a disk' (Type 7)" error and manually entered in the brand name of the CF however this only recognises the drive as 20MB.

Not sure what this indicates...

Also I have just noticed that if I hold down both mouse buttons on my A1200 when the CF is connected DH0 is not listed on the boot options screen. Does this indicate a hardware issue?

Thanks for all of your suggestions and help so far I do appreciate it.
Old 27 October 2013, 22:13   #10
demolition
Unregistered User

If you want to use PFS3, you could try the attached image. Use WinImage to write it to the CF card and it will create two PFS3 partitions, one bootable 250MB for the system and the other with the remaining space. It will then be ready to install WB onto using the real Amiga or WinUAE.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4GBCF_PFS3.zip (40.0 KB, 183 views)
Old 28 October 2013, 06:54   #11
ChrisUnionNJ
Amibay Mod/Staff

Try A kingston 4GB..
Old 28 October 2013, 13:37   #12
SuperPlay

Day 3

demolition:

Thank you for the file, however I have problems with this :-(

I downloaded Winimage 9.0 from http://www.winimage.com/

Select Disk/Restore Virtual Hard Drive Image on physical drive
Select the CF card
Select 4GBCF_PFS3.vhd
Click Yes to the warning

It gets to 91% and fails with

Error reading file c:\temp\4GBCF_PFS3.vhd

Tried this on Windows 8 and a Windows 7 PC as Administrator (Right Click run as).

I have cleaned the CF with DiskPart

Am I using the correct application to write back the file?

ChrisUnionNJ:

The card I have is a Transcend 133x 4GB that was part of a bundle from an ebay seller that has sold many of these and looking at the feedback he has no negatives on the product. So I suspect that it should work.

I may contact them to see if they have come across my issue and ask if I can get my hands on a kingston CF.

Just picked up my Windows 7 works laptop as I have been doing this on a Windows 8 64bit PC. So I am going to re-run the set-up process just in case it is something to do with W8
Old 28 October 2013, 14:02   #13
mark_k

Quote:
Steve: I booted into WB 3.1 again from floppy (on real hardware) and run HDToolbox it sees a hard drive as:

SCSI 0 0 Unknown

This time I ignored the "'Unit is not a disk' (Type 7)" error and manually entered in the brand name of the CF however this only recognises the drive as 20MB.
Later versions of HDToolBox (which came with AmigaOS 3.5 and/or 3.9) fixed the type 7 issue. For earlier versions (including the one on the 3.1 Install disk) you can apply my patch to earlier versions of HDToolBox to fix the problem.
Old 28 October 2013, 14:52   #14
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Thank you for the file, however I have problems with this :-(

I downloaded Winimage 9.0 from http://www.winimage.com/

Select Disk/Restore Virtual Hard Drive Image on physical drive
Select the CF card
Select 4GBCF_PFS3.vhd
Click Yes to the warning
It gets to 91% and fails with
Error reading file c:\temp\4GBCF_PFS3.vhd
This is normal and happens because WinImage runs out of file before the card was full (filesize<CF size). However, it should still work, so have you tried it?
Also, using diskpart should not be necessary since WinImage overwrites everything.
I have used this file a couple of times and it works fine for me, so if it doesn't work for you, I think maybe the problem is an unsupported CF card. Not all types will work in an Amiga. I primarily use Sandisk Ultra cards, and have never had a problem, even though some of them report as type 7.
Old 28 October 2013, 18:19   #15
SuperPlay

I have re-tried the whole preparation process today from from a Windows 7 PC rather than from a Windows 8 PC and this has made no difference at all.

So as suggested I tried the patched version of HDToolBox. When using this in my real 1200 it does not see the 4GB CF card.

I found a 512mb Sandisk CF card lying around so I tried this in my 1200 and HDToolbox (patched) shows the partition as 2502MB! using the un-modified version I get the Type 7 error.

So back to WinUAE

WinUAE picked up the 512MB card correctly, so I partitioned, formatted etc. and copied across Classic Workbench from my HD Image. Exactly the same problem.

So I have just re-tried the image kindly provided by demolition (ignoring the 91% error) When attached to WinUAE on starting workbench it errors with:

PFS-III Error Requester

TD32 and Direct SCSI access mdoe failed!
Can't read block 8025669 (<4G)
uaefh.device:1

I am now going to give it one more go with the 4GB CF using the standard Workbench installer rather than Classic WB.

Last edited by SuperPlay; 28 October 2013 at 19:50.
Old 28 October 2013, 21:26   #16
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
WinUAE picked up the 512MB card correctly, so I partitioned, formatted etc. and copied across Classic Workbench from my HD Image. Exactly the same problem.
So I have just re-tried the image kindly provided by demolition (ignoring the 91% error) When attached to WinUAE on starting workbench it errors with:

PFS-III Error Requester

TD32 and Direct SCSI access mdoe failed!
Can't read block 8025669 (<4G)
uaefh.device:1
Was that with the 512MB card? If so, then the error would make sense since the 2nd partition would not be valid since it is made for a 4GB card. You should be able to go delete the 2nd partition in HDToolBox and install WB onto the first partition.

Edit: Since you are getting that message, it tells me that the RDB was read and PFS3 was running, so something is working.
Old 28 October 2013, 21:52   #17
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi superplay if you want the card setup i wouldnt mind doing it for you for postage costs
Old 28 October 2013, 22:02   #18
SuperPlay

demolition: I am sure that this was with the 4GB card, however I have been interchanging cards all day so I cannot be 100% sure ;-)

However I have made progress

Out of desperation I tried using the 4GB, creating 3 partitions without changing the mask / MaxTransfer settings and formatting only DH0 (Full this time rather than quick). Then installed Workbench 3.1

In my real a1200 this booted into workbench! However only once, on a reboot I had the insert disk icon again. When the drive was added back to Winuae it is now marked [Empty] and HDtoolbox reports no partitions are set. When I try to re-create the partitions it fails with an error when save changes is clicked.

Whooops! I should have really set the mask settings as it looks like this has fried the CF! as I can no longer partition or run a clean in diskpart, it starts then fails.

So back to the 512MB SanDisk CF Card and WinUAE

This time 2 partitions with the mask / MaxTransfer settings changed, formatted both partitions with a full format.

Installed WB 3.1

Over to my 1200 and ......

it works

So Looks like when you prepare and format the drive in WinUAE you have to 'Full Format' rather than quick format as I have been using.

Now all I need to do is get another 4GB CF Card and start over again LOL.

ChrisUnionNJ recommends a Kingston, are these the ones?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...tFlash&_sop=15

Thank you all again for all of you help even though I have lost 3 days and a CF card I have picked up a lot of new info on Amiga HDs etc.

Once I get my hands on a new CF I will update the post to let you know the final result.
Old 28 October 2013, 22:11   #19
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
ChrisUnionNJ recommends a Kingston, are these the ones?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...tFlash&_sop=15
Yes indeed.

Lord Aga also recommends them here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=918950#post918950
Old 28 October 2013, 22:17   #20
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Whooops! I should have really set the mask settings as it looks like this has fried the CF! as I can no longer partition or run a clean in diskpart, it starts then fails.
Software cannot destroy a CF card like that, so either your Amiga has some electrical problem with the IDE port, or the card was already bad. When using a wrong MaxTransfer, it can corrupt the data on it, but it can always be reformatted and made to work again.