English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 27 June 2013, 23:18   #1
anodyne777

Greetings!

I'm a retro computing fan, but generally I've stayed within the realm of 8-bit machines - mostly the Commodore 64, VIC-20, and Atari 800XL. I am also a musician and I got my start using trackers on a PC (and use old machines for chiptunes today, among other things). Since music trackers were born on the Amiga and I'm into retro machines, I wondered if I should get into them...

My question and reason for being here is, I'm wondering if it's worth buying an old Amiga, or if emulation really makes that pointless. I know that for my C64 musical endeavors it's just not the same using an emulator (emulating SID filters for example... is impossible). But the Amiga, being a newer-tech machine, may not have the same quirks and have an identical user experience emulated.

What do you think?

AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 June 2013, 23:32   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi anodyne777, and welcome to EAB!

The jury is still out on whether emulation or the real thing is preferable. It seems to be a matter of personal choice.

I started with emulation, but within a year I had begun my collection of Amiga hardware because it's just such a great machine!

Good luck, whatever you decide!
Old 27 June 2013, 23:53   #3
anodyne777

Thanks prowler!

I tend to gravitate towards real hardware, just because I want something I can physically interact with that has its own character and design. It's part of the experience for me. BUT... I'm also the lone breadwinner in my family and cash is not always flowing freely enough for me to go spending on obsolete computers... and there's only so much desk space. Emulation is better for some platforms than others... like for old DOS stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to just use DOSbox on my modern PC.

I'd also love to know what the best applications are for music (trackers or otherwise) and graphics. Maybe I should be posting all these extra questions in other threads

Old 28 June 2013, 00:09   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Amiga emulation is very, very good, and that's how I started, so I would suggest you give it a go first.

You should be able to download everything you need to get started with a bit of Googling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodyne777 View Post
I'd also love to know what the best applications are for music (trackers or otherwise) and graphics. Maybe I should be posting all these extra questions in other threads
Use the EAB search box to find out whether you can get the information you require without starting a new thread, but if you draw a blank then by all means fire away. That's what we're all here for!
AdSense AdSense