English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 October 2002, 16:40   #1
Tim Janssen

Hooooo WinUAE in XP

Sometimes I have trouble running WinUAE (version 0.8.22R1) in Windows XP which happen in very special occasions:

Problem 1:
When I run an Audio-CD in Windows Media Player and WinUAE starts up, the music immediately stops. Now this would normally be not much of a problem, but thanks to the cumbersome Media Player interface, I have managed two times accidendently turning the Player to full-screen mode. In this full-screen mode normally a nice animation is displayed, but when playing WinUAE it turns to a black screen. Here the problem starts: pressing CTRL-ALT-DELETE turns back to the desktop but WinUAE cannot be closed anymore. Even the XP-taskmanager can't manage to close the program. The only solution is resetting the machine.

Problem 2:
WinUAE features an 'Output'-tab which let you record an AVI-movie of a program the emulator is playing. Only altering settings in this tab already results in the XP-system getting extremely slow. At this point the XP-taskmanager tries to close the emulator but fails. After zillion attempts it manages to close the emulator and the system returns back to a normal state.

Have other Windows XP and WinUAE 0.8.22R1 similar experiences?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 October 2002, 14:56   #2
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Hi

I've had neither the problems you mention ...

But 1) may be due to the wmp clashing with winuae's using the sound drivers etc..

2) may be you have the task manager set to auto close programs that become unresponsive (normally after 20 seconds by default i think). I've output plenty of games sessions to avi's etc.. (divx codec) and although it slows down to do so (on my p4 1.8 1gig ram etc..) it doesnt crash or anything .. and still responds to keyboard. I've got my task manager set to ignore unresponsive programs because i develop on this machine for work and sometimes i need to hog the cpu etc..
Old 02 November 2002, 23:05   #3
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Problem 1: you probably have "add PC drives at start-up" selected - this will cause the CDROM drive to be 'grabed' by WinUAE for use by amiga.

Solution: don't play CD's when loading WinUAE

Problem 2: This is a new feature for the latest release, it is taking the video output from WinUAE and recording it direct to disk - this requires FAST CPU, lots of RAM, FAST HD - just like a video capture system... since WinUAE also needs lots of CPU and RAM one of them loses out

Solution: buy faster CPU, more RAM, faster HD, win lottery to pay for them... mr_0rga5m is using P4-1.8 with 1GB RAM - this should be seen a minimum spec for doing this!
Old 04 November 2002, 10:30   #4
Tim Janssen

Eek Minimum Specs?

I have almost forgotten this thread!

Problem 1 seems to be solved. I have changed some settings in XP and don't play ceedees anymore when running WinUAE.

Problem 2: Syko, I don't believe 1000 Mb memory and a 1.8 Ghz PC are the minimum specs for a simple action like recording a running program in an emulator.
I have an AMD Athlon 1.8 Ghz, 512 Mb memory and the fastest harddisc available (well, it was in january 2002) and when activating the AVI-Output feature, my whole OS locks up.
Somehow I suspect I need to alter some XP settings or install specific AVI-drivers.
Old 04 November 2002, 13:03   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Arrow Re: WinUAE in XP

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
Sometimes I have trouble running WinUAE (version 0.8.22R1) in Windows XP which happen in very special occasions:

Problem 1:
When I run an Audio-CD in Windows Media Player and WinUAE starts up, the music immediately stops.
Look out for a new option in upcoming 0.8.22 R2, where you can select if you want to use Primary DirectSound buffer or not. Playing MP3s with WinUAE running and sound disabled will be possible then again.
Old 04 November 2002, 13:13   #6
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

@ Tim Janssen

If you have a large amount of HD space available just output raw with no compression etc.. and do all the compressing afterwards.

And you could get yaself off to Divx.com and install divx5.02 codec .. its pretty good.
Old 04 November 2002, 17:33   #7
Syko

you're right about the spec being good enough for recording, so it's probably either compression settings, or the codec as others have said or try mr_0rga5m's suggestion, which should remove the codec/compression question all together.

You could also check with the task manager in XP to see what's sucking all the power when you activate this feature.
Old 04 November 2002, 19:00   #8
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Syko
You could also check with the task manager in XP to see what's sucking all the power when you activate this feature.
To get to the Task Manager quickly use the following keyboard shortcut:

CTRL + SHIFT + ESC
Old 05 November 2002, 14:19   #9
Syko

nope it's CTRL + SHIFT + DEL
Old 05 November 2002, 15:54   #10
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Syko
nope it's CTRL + SHIFT + DEL
Well you can try that but I've always used CTRL + SHIFT + ESC and yes it works, try it out

It also works on Windows 2000
Old 06 November 2002, 01:42   #11
RoKo

Wow, I always used CTRL ALT DEL.
But CTRL SHIFT DEL is not working here.

Old 06 November 2002, 03:08   #12
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by RoKo Wow, I always used CTRL ALT DEL.
But CTRL SHIFT DEL is not working here.
Correct, as I said before the other shortcut for the Task Manager is CTRL + SHIFT + ESC
Old 06 November 2002, 20:32   #13
Syko

Just tried C-S-E and it works just fine as well - new one for me...
Old 07 November 2002, 05:01   #14
jmmijo

There are a ton of keyboard shortcuts in most flavors of Windoze, knowing them all would take an eternity

I just find the ones I can use and stick with them.
Old 07 November 2002, 10:42   #15
Tim Janssen

Unhappy Blue screen

Yesterday I tried to use the WinUAE output-feature in XP without running any other program and guess what - World's 'most stable' OS presented me a Blue Screen! Now I am really scared to use this feature.

Has some of you who posted in this thread ever recorded an AVI-file with WinUAE? If so, can you put it in The Zone? I am only interested what the picture and soundquality is like.
Old 07 November 2002, 12:24   #16
BippyM
Global Moderator

I have, actually I have done a few game intro's etc..

I record the intros without compression and then compress myself as the quality will be better

I can't really u/l to the zone cuz the avi's are generally about 10Mb+

Old 09 November 2002, 21:07   #17
jambamiga

Stick out tongue

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
Well you can try that but I've always used CTRL + SHIFT + ESC and yes it works, try it out

It also works on Windows 2000
Well I always left CTRL left ALT and DEL,it always works for me.

James

Old 10 November 2002, 18:06   #18
jmmijo

CTRL + ALT + DEL is the standard way and one shouldn't forget that either. I use both myself as the shortcut I mentioned only works on NT/2K/XP where as the CTRL + ALT + DEL shortcut works on all Windows flavors starting with 95. On Windows 3.xx and before it would just reset the machine as these OS's were actually a shell for DOS and it had this as the satnadard reset option
AdSense AdSense