Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 March 2016, 16:18   #321
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Ok, ok.. Enough already!

I really do love Turrican/Turrican 2 on the Amiga. So much I seriously considered buying those rediculously overpriced eBay versions just to have the real box again.
Yes, but as Retro said earlier, it's normal since Rainbow Arts only sold a few boxes of these games.

Quote:
But, the C64 versions are the only 'complete' versions. As in, they're the ones with the complete maps.
Wait. I have handy all the maps for the CPC versions, and those are absolutely huge, more like the ones you can find in 16 bits game than an 8 bits one.

Quote:
Saying the Amiga assets where more complete than the C64 ones is just false: excluding the excellent Amiga music, both games have the 95% the same levels (right down to the tile sizes), enemies and content.
So is the CPC version.... since T1 version is based on the Miggy assets.

Quote:
Apart from the bits the C64 does have and the Amiga doesn't...

Two examples to show what I mean:
  • Turrican 1 Amiga cuts out an entire bossfight during the verticaly scrolling levels
  • Turrican 2 Amiga cuts out several bonus areas, notably during the waterfall level in world one
Right, that's that.. You can now carry on with the silly 8 bit arguments if you please
Now this is becoming hot. Can you please post screens of these said bonus ? i would like to check if those are present on the CPC version
Ah and the level number please
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 March 2016, 16:23   #322
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Yes, but as Retro said earlier, it's normal since Rainbow Arts only sold a few boxes of these games.
There is no need to mocking about what developer said in official interviews. You can't get over it, right?
Old 08 March 2016, 16:24   #323
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
There is no need to mocking about what developer said in official interviews. You can't get over it, right?
I was not aware, and i'm very disappointed.

How could they be so good as making games and so incompetent to sell them ?
Old 08 March 2016, 16:30   #324
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It was normal for action games. These were the number one pirated games. They also had no additional important bonus/required manuals. Action games were mostly played by arcade freaks. Other genres were more complex and mainstream, like the Lucas Arts adventures, Civilization, Pirates, The Settler etc. Thus the sales figures were higher.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 08 March 2016 at 16:36.
Old 08 March 2016, 16:40   #325
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Some good info and comparisons of the Turrican games here-

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/turrican/turrican.htm
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/turrican/turrican2.htm
http://retro-sanctuary.com/compaison...0Turrican.html
Old 08 March 2016, 16:53   #326
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
It was normal for action games. These were the number one pirated games. They also had no additional important bonus/required manuals. Action games were mostly played by arcade freaks. Other genres were more complex and mainstream, like the Lucas Arts adventures, Civilization, Pirates, The Settler etc. Thus the sales figures were higher.
Let me give you the view back in 1990 : I remember very neatly that Rainbow Arts never pushed their game.

Why making so great artworks, great coding, and so on, and then not do the maximum to support the product ?

Just have a guess on why they asked to renegade to distribute their last amiga game ?

Because they failed the previous time with T1 and T2.

About the Piracy on CPC. The main reason was mainly because the games were too short, prices too high, and because the game companies mostly never took care of their CPC customers.

BUT, when a company was doing it right, CPC users and moms dads were doing the effort of buying the games.

Robocop for instance sold tons on CPC, and it's a very easy to find game, either on tape and disk.

This happened many times. Iron Lord for instance sold very well on CPC.
It was an AAA title, and we know what happened
Old 08 March 2016, 16:57   #327
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I think the UK sold the most arcade games for all platforms in Europe. Usually the worst arcade crap got 90%+ ratings. Germany and of course the USA was more interested in other genres. Check the old magazines for international game charts. Though games like Turrican or Giana Sisters (C64) sold more than other similar action games here in Germany.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 08 March 2016 at 17:32.
Old 08 March 2016, 16:58   #328
turrican9

When you guys mention it I actually seem to remember that the Amiga version of Turrican 1/2 was missing a few parts the C64 version had. I played through these games on C64 back in the day and then got my Amiga and did the same there.

So if dlfrsilver says that the CPC versions is a copy level wise to the Amiga version then the C64 versions are probably the only "complete" versions, as someone mentioned.
Old 08 March 2016, 17:02   #329
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, the C64 extra levels aren't anything spectacular. No clue why they cut them for all ports, but i can live without them.
Old 08 March 2016, 17:16   #330
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Well, I still think they're really expensive and still almost bought one of them... Because I love the games

Quote:
Wait. I have handy all the maps for the CPC versions, and those are absolutely huge, more like the ones you can find in 16 bits game than an 8 bits one.
Indeed, Turrican is really quite impressive for 8 bit machines due to its map size.

Mind you, they used 32x32 pixel blocks for the maps, which makes the size overhead much smaller than you'd think. An 8KB level map would already be ~128 screens big using that tile size and would not be overly large to keep in memory even if you only have 64KB.

Just for fun, I found a website showing the actual C64 map for Turrican 1 (probably 2 as well). You can scroll around it interactively as well. You can find it at http://selmiak.bplaced.net/games/c64...evel=1-1#level. Do note it's a bit fidly, you may have to refresh the browser window once or twice to get it to work.

As you can see, the maps are really, really big. And almost identical to the Amiga ones

Quote:
Now this is becoming hot. Can you please post screens of these said bonus ? i would like to check if those are present on the CPC version
Ah and the level number please
Of course, you can see the extra boss in T1 here: http://www.nemmelheim.de/turrican/of...me=TurricanC64
(this is during the later part of level 3-1)

And here is the part of the T2 longplay that shows the part of level 1-2 that only the C64 has: [ Show youtube player ] (it's after the 'gem room' below the waterfall)

Now, I'm not saying these are huge changes per se (altough I did miss the boss fight quite a bit first time round on the Amiga as I like boss fights in Turrican ), but they do show the C64 map containing more than the Amiga one.

Last edited by roondar; 08 March 2016 at 17:18. Reason: spelling stuff
Old 08 March 2016, 17:43   #331
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Oh so interesting ! it appears that the turrican II CPC version HAS the hidden bonus zone of the c64 version, the diamonds are here, but the passages are locked with wall tiles !!!

I have just checked. There must be a way to get access to it

Now let's see about turrican I on CPC for this boss

Check the screen joint hehehe :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turrican I elevator boss.png
Views:	74
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	47805  
Old 08 March 2016, 17:47   #332
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

@dlfrsilver, just curious, the c64 boss size compared to CPC?
Old 08 March 2016, 17:53   #333
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
@dlfrsilver, just curious, the c64 boss size compared to CPC?
Well strangely this specific boss has the same proportions as the c64 boss.

It is 2,5 the size of the turrican sprite. However, since the C64 version has a taller screen in heigh, its boss is taller than the one of the CPC version.

for comparison, the gauntlet is smaller in the CPC version than in the c64 version.

I guess it's tied to 2things : 1) the smaller screen size on CPC, 2) turrican is not using it's jetpack, it has the ground under his feet, and due to that, the boss can't be bigger. It's a proportion story here.
Old 08 March 2016, 18:02   #334
turrican9

Just for clarification.. Turrican is actually the name of the suit the man is using. And the name of the man is Bren McGuire. The Turrican suit is a highly sofisticated combat suit and a technological miracle. To put it this way: You don't mess with a man inside a Turrican suit.

Last edited by turrican9; 08 March 2016 at 18:12.
Old 08 March 2016, 18:38   #335
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Just for clarification.. Turrican is actually the name of the suit the man is using. And the name of the man is Bren McGuire. The Turrican suit is a highly sofisticated combat suit and a technological miracle. To put it this way: You don't mess with a man inside a Turrican suit.
Hannn.... lol what happens if Bren discover that someone has poop inside his suit ? Will the Maschine have some troubles afterwards ?
Old 08 March 2016, 18:48   #336
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Hannn.... lol what happens if Bren discover that someone has poop inside his suit ? Will the Maschine have some troubles afterwards ?
I am certain that the highly sofisticated Turrican suit have some kind of DNA detection so to allow only the owner of the suit to even come close to it. And even if the owner pooped inside the suit there would certainly be some kind of self-cleaning routine in this very, very advanced combat suit. There is a reason The Evil Machine got scared when Bren McGuire stepped down on Katakis with his awesome Turrican suit.
Old 08 March 2016, 19:23   #337
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Just to rub it in a bit more... cpc fanboys should check this out:

[ Show youtube player ]

And then hide in the corner... It has colours, perfect scroll, design and it seems... playability.
Old 08 March 2016, 19:39   #338
Devlin
Sorcerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post

[ Show youtube player ]

And then hide in the corner... It has colours, perfect scroll, design and it seems... playability.
That's pretty neat. But nostalgia overpowers quality in a lot of cases.

I'm thinking the cpc would get more love if there were more devs making stuff for it, seems like maybe only mojon twins(who port to speccy too?) and maybe a few demosceners care about it.
Old 08 March 2016, 19:40   #339
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post

[ Show youtube player ]

For a C64 those were rather nice colours
Old 08 March 2016, 21:29   #340
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
For a C64 those were rather nice colours
Yes, way to tell it so
AdSense AdSense