English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 May 2013, 19:54   #1
k33n

SD HDD issue - Amiga 600

Hi,

I really hope someone here can educate me on my HDD issue.

(Hardware and software used @ the bottom of this post.)

I recently bought an SD adapter from below link, to use in my Amiga 600 with a 2Gb SD.
http://www.vesalia.de/e_ide25sdcfhdd.htm

I wanted to use WinUAE to set it up, as most guides seems to endorse that procedure.
But without much luck beacuse the emulator/WB wouldn't read any of my SD's from either of my two SD readers. (As in; HDToolBox wouldn't register any drive at all.)
So i think I'm left to do this using only the amiga.

I prepared the SD with Diskpart - in one instance with the "clean" command and "delete volume #" in another.
Which one is the one to use? I see "delete volume #" frequently, so i'm currently going with that.
This gave the reult as described in many forums and guides, so i'd assume im on the right track.

(Tried both commands in seperate cases, because users around several messageboards referred to both of them)

Now,
When using HDToolBox on the A600, the drive shows up, and i'm able to see my SD in the list of drives, with the following settings:

SCSI 0 0 UNKNOWN

I click change device type - click define new, and read configuration automatically, but this gives me: "Device is not a disk (Type 7)" -error

When clicking "Continue" on that, it shows a disk with 3mb of space.

At one point - without having any idea about how i managed to do it - the card registered correctly!

I have that "correct" configuration saved on my disk now, albeit with some settings i put in there myself, because they were blank, as far as i remember.

The fields i filled out were:

FileName: drive definitions
Manufacturers Name: (My real name - had no idea what else to type)
Drive Name: Festplatte (Harddrive in german i think)
Drive Revision: 1

I'm warned that the disk only has 8000 blocks, whereas i'm trying to configure it with 3861648 blocks using the "correct" configuration from the earlier attempt, on a session that only read 3mb.

I then partition the drive into 3 pieces, naming them DH0, DH1 and DH2.
The first partition is ticked bootable, and "0x1DE00" is defined on all the partitions under advanced options.
DH0 is around 300mb and the others share the remaining space.

No other settings are touched, and i click OK and Save changes to disk.

This changes the status to "Not Changed" in the drives list, but i figured from some forums that i shouldn't worry about that.

I then click "Exit" and the application returns me to the workbench desktop.

No new drives appear, so i reboot and find that it still does not show the SD and the partitions i just configured, on the WB desktop.

I try to start up HDToolBox again, but everything is as if i hadn't done anything at all.

SCSI 0 0 UNKNOWN

I'd love some insight into what i'm doing wrong here, because this has got me stumped.

Also - i'm new at this whole amiga thing, so i'm entirely green in all of this!

My system is:

A600 with http://www.vesalia.de/e_ide25sdcfhdd.htm using SanDisk 2Gb MicroSD in an SD adapter. (Non-SDHC)
KickStart 3.1 REV. 40.63 and WorkBench 3.1

Connected to my PC using serial cable and Amiga Explorer.

PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate DK.

I've tried searching for all that i could think of in this regard, but i couldn't find anything with exactly my problem.
So i'm sorry if this is easily searchable, i just couldn't find the right terms.

Also; i've used quite some days/hours on this, so i'm not sure i got everything written down - but please, do ask if you think i did and id you need more information!

If you made it this far: thanks for reading!

AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 May 2013, 19:59   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Not sure if this is 100% correct but, If I remember correctly, the scsi id for a 600 is 6, try that.
Old 19 May 2013, 20:00   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k33n View Post
But without much luck beacuse the emulator/WB wouldn't read any of my SD's from either of my two SD readers. (As in; HDToolBox wouldn't register any drive at all.)
Two possibilities: Mounted as UAE controller but not using hdtoolbox with uaehf.device command line or mounted as IDE but configured Amiga hardware does not have IDE or IDE hardware does not match with KS ROM.

Quote:
automatically, but this gives me: "Device is not a disk (Type 7)" -error
http://aminet.net/disk/misc/HDToolBoxPatch.lha

(scsi.device misdetects removable IDE devices as optical media)

EDIT: because you have SD adapter, you should be able to use full 32G with DirectSCSI (pfs3ds/pfs3aio/old sfs) filesystem, without any ROM patches.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 19 May 2013 at 20:05.
Old 19 May 2013, 20:17   #4
k33n

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Two possibilities: Mounted as UAE controller but not using hdtoolbox with uaehf.device command line or mounted as IDE but configured Amiga hardware does not have IDE or IDE hardware does not match with KS ROM.

http://aminet.net/disk/misc/HDToolBoxPatch.lha

(scsi.device misdetects removable IDE devices as optical media)

EDIT: because you have SD adapter, you should be able to use full 32G with DirectSCSI (pfs3ds/pfs3aio/old sfs) filesystem, without any ROM patches.
I forgot to mention that i use the ROM and ADF image(s) from the Amiga itself, dumped with AExplorer, so that would narrow it down?

What controller should i select in UAE?
I've seen the ".device" thing mentioned sparsely elsewhere, but i have no idea as to where i edit it - and to what.

I'll try the SCSI ID = 6 thing first.

Old 20 May 2013, 00:35   #5
k33n

Update:

I couldn't figure out how to change SCSI ID, but i got UAE to read the SD, by altering the scsi.device string.

I made 3 partitions and mounted the SD in the amiga hereafter.

The amiga still reads the SD as "SCSI 0 0 UNKNOWN", disregarding everything done via UAE.

I gathered that it might be because of making the disk using the UAE controller in UAE, instead of something amiga-native, according to some messageboards.

Instead, i tried the update for HDToolBox (From Tony Wilen's post), using a hex editor.

This yelded some results in shape of "auto detect device type" gathered some new info!

The manufacturer was now "ITGO" and Drive Name was now "POWERED BY WWW.P"

But the registered size was still 3mb. (Was 1.8Gb in UAE)

Am i correct, when i suspect that this is something closely related to the "scsi.device" string needing to be something else?

Edit:
After trying my luck with partitioning the 3mb on the amiga - and failing, i put back the SD to UAE, and discovered that the card was configured exactly the same as when it was set up using UAE.

i.e. The things done on original amiga hardware didn't touch any of the data on the card.

Is my adapter broken in some way?

Last edited by k33n; 20 May 2013 at 01:56.

Old 24 June 2013, 13:20   #6
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
SCSI ID 6 was a red herring, the card will show up as 0 if it's master and 1 if it's slave. And you yourself said that it shows up as 0 in HDToolBox.

The calculated size makes no difference, your card is just a bit larger than what HDToolBox can count to (which is 2GB), so as a result the variable wraps around and it looks like 3MB. This is known and there is no reason to be alarmed as long as the parameters are something sane.

What parameters did it detect?

- heads
- sectors per track
- tracks (cylinders)

I recommend you continue making the partitions on the real Amiga, that way you will be sure to be making partitions on the entire card, not inside a potential MBR partition inside it.
AdSense AdSense