English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 06 May 2013, 12:05   #1
majsta
www.majsta.com

Stuck with improving WB3.1 look

New users of workbench 3.1 may get confused with some things. So far I have used only WB2.1 with MagicBench and nothing more. Now I decided to start using WB3.1 and on the web I have seen some amazing look of WB3.1 and so far I m not even near to accomplish something like that. I didn't find any useful tutorials on the net and to tell you the truth I have no idea what to install and what is the correct order of packages I need to install. It seems that I need to install half of aminet to get something look nice. What is the correct procedure for having nice icons? I was truing number of combinations for past few days and I m going nowhere. All testings are done on WinUAE before transferring CF to A600. So I have few questions.
1. I installed ClassAct2Demo.lha and NewIcons46.lha and used standard iff 16 color image for WBPattern is this correct order how everyone done it?
2. Do I really need to install MUI and Scalos to get better results. What do I get installing scalos regarding this.
3. What do I get with new icon.library from PeterK and how to use it.

At the end it would be nice to someone in simple words create tutorial how its done or maybe I didn't find any.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 May 2013, 12:12   #2
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
For a quick answer, get ClassicWB and install it to CF. You get a nice looking WB pre-configured.

As what comes to PeterK's icon.library, I highly recommend using it. Just read the thread, there are instructions on how to install it. As for Scalos, no advice from me sorry.
Old 06 May 2013, 12:31   #3
majsta
www.majsta.com

Yes i know about that but I don't want to use created packages I want to understand complete concept of creating something like this.
Old 06 May 2013, 13:45   #4
daxb

I haven`t experiences with ClassicWB or similar but you can read/analyze S-S, U-S and WBStartup to know what is going on and which programs are resposible for GUI stuff. As far as I know there isn`t a all-in-one tool. You have to use different tools for different tasks. A must have is MUI, because it is used by many programs. Scalos is a WB-Replacement and you should only use it if you want to replace the WB. DOpus5 can be used as replacement, too. You might have a look at VisualPrefs what can customize Amiga GUI.

On the other hand you need to (I recommend) patch some OS3.1 stuff to make it use fastram instead of chipram, else you run out of chipram quickly. E.g. FBlit, a newer picture.datatype and maybe other datatypes that don`t stick to chipram.

If you want to understand how all works you have to read a lot.
Old 06 May 2013, 15:15   #5
PeterK

Hi majsta,
I've just found a nice tutorial for installing OS 3.1 step by step with lots of detailed screenshots and good explanations:

http://guide.abime.net/wb3.1/intro.htm
http://guide.abime.net/map.htm
Old 06 May 2013, 15:17   #6
John Pillow

Hi there, i would recommend the following workbench add-ons and tweaks:

MUI: http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/mui38usr
MagicCX: http://aminet.net/package/util/cdity/MagicCX12
MCX: http://aminet.net/package/util/cdity/MCX280
MCP: http://aminet.net/package/util/cdity/MCP130
MagicWorkbench: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/MagicWB21p
NewIcons: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/NewIcons46
MagicMenu: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/MagicMenu_II
VisualPrefs: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/VisualPrefs
Birdie: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/birdie2000

Please read carefully all readme files.

You may also find the following link quite useful:

http://www.amigau.com/c-amiga/amitools.htm

Cheers
Old 06 May 2013, 15:33   #7
fishyfish
Banned

@Majsta

There's a lot of options, but a quick rundown:

birdie2k: lets you use a bitmap image with window "frames".
Visualprefs: lets you alter the look of gadgets, scrollbars, containers, lines, ghosted areas, etc, etc.
mui: not just for aesthetics, but rather a full gui toolkit.
afa_os: covers all that birdie and visualprefs do, and adds things like anti-aliased fonts and dual image png icons. Requires 16bit and upward screenmodes though so RTG only.
Magicmenu2: allows pop-up menus rather than just being restricted to using drag down menus from top of the screen. Also allows transparent and colored menus.
Toolsdaemon: lets a user add software of their choice to drop down menus (or pop-up if using MagicMenu2.

There's an absolute plethora of options out there, but this is a good start
Feel free to ask if you want more
Old 06 May 2013, 19:54   #8
majsta
www.majsta.com

@PeterK thank you I know about that guide but there are no some answers I need. I m interested to understand your projects but it seems that someone will need to create step by step tutorial for that and if I manage to create something it seems that I should create that tutorial. I just don't get it how to start or use anything.

Main problem for me now is what depend to what. I understand that I need to have ClassAct2 to support NewIcons but I m not satisfied with the final results and I have no idea how to improve that. I have only used magic workbench and that was so simple to install and set but now all of this takes to another level. Ok for now I installed newicons and trying to copy some more icons but again only succeed with heinz_oliver.lha package using IconImgCopier.lha. So again I need to beg PeterK to write step by step tutorial about his projects. Also I remember that was some icon copier who had different approach the same litle panel with left side copy and right side paste not separated like this I m using. Update: IconMaster is tool I have seen somewhere For last 3 days I m stuck with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	35288  

Last edited by majsta; 06 May 2013 at 20:18.
Old 06 May 2013, 21:07   #9
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Send a message via Skype™ to mfilos
Majsta mate, just use PeterK's icon.library by simply making a custom kickstart or loading it via LoadModule or LoadResident on startup.

To enhance your Workbench I'd suggest, VisualPrefs to be able to change the look of the titlebar, frames, gadgets etc.
I also suggest FullPalette in order to lock the palette colors not to get altered when loading a backdrop image
MUI is rather essential imho. Just install it to be able to support many programs that use it.

If you want to load a dock you can use ToolManager which is rather awesome but requires MUI. I made a thorough guide which you can check out here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...oolManager.pdf

I'll write a thorough guide for newcomers, on how to use Rebel's Palette @ 16 colors along with his skins on VisualPrefs and Birdie.

If you need any assistance don't hesitate to ask
Old 06 May 2013, 21:46   #10
attila06
Zone Friend

Very interesting this little guide of ToolManager mfilos,waiting with impatience next one
Old 06 May 2013, 22:11   #11
majsta
www.majsta.com

@mfilos that is the kind of tutorials I want I will try to do that with icon.library tomorrow and we will see. But please consider about creating more tutorials like this. I know that it takes time but spread the knowledge pls
Old 06 May 2013, 22:13   #12
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Stuck with improving WB3.1 look

Sure mate I'll do my best
Old 08 May 2013, 00:49   #13
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by majsta View Post
.... I understand that I need to have ClassAct2 to support NewIcons but I m not satisfied with the final results and I have no idea how to improve that. .... Ok for now I installed newicons and trying to copy some more icons but again only succeed with heinz_oliver.lha package using IconImgCopier.lha. So again I need to beg PeterK to write step by step tutorial about his projects. Also I remember that was some icon copier who had different approach the same litle panel with left side copy and right side paste not separated like this I m using. Update: IconMaster is tool I have seen somewhere For last 3 days I m stuck with this.
1. You don't need ClassAct2 for NewIcons. On my IconDemoADF is a NiPrefs tool which works with the standard gadtools.library GUI.
2. There is a modified version of Stephan Rupprecht's CopyIcon tool on the IconDemoADF image, working with WB 3.0+ already. But you can also use IconMaster if you prefer that. Sorry, I don't know IconImageCopier yet.
3. In order to get my icon.library and the NewIcons patch to work properly on a WB 3.1 system you will have to do exactly the same steps that are done in my startup-sequence. Don't install NewIcons a second time in the User-Startup.
4. I would recommend also to copy over all the utilities from my WBStartup drawer into yours like you should copy all other missing files from the IconDemoADF onto your system. Do you really need a tutorial for that?

Code:
Version >NIL: icon.library 46 REVISION 4
If WARN
   LoadResident >NIL: LIBS:icon.library REBOOT
EndIf
SetPatch QUIET
PatchWB  >NIL: ; optional
PatchRAM >NIL: ; optional
MinStack       ; optional
MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards RAM:ENV RAM:ENV/Sys
Copy >NIL: ENVARC: RAM:ENV ALL NOREQ
Copy >NIL: ENVARC:sys/def_RAM.info RAM:disk.info
Assign >NIL: ENV:     RAM:ENV
Assign >NIL: T:       RAM:T
Assign >NIL: KEYMAPS: DEVS:Keymaps
Assign >NIL: LOCALE:  SYS:Locale
Assign >NIL: LIBS:    SYS:Classes ADD
FBlit      ; must be FBlit 3.79+ to work correctly
NiRTGset ENV:NewIcons.prefs   ; RTG mode for FBlit
IPrefs
Run >NIL: NewIcons
FPPrefs    ; for MWB colors
IconsToFastMem
LoadWB
EndCLI >NIL:

Last edited by PeterK; 08 May 2013 at 01:06.
Old 08 May 2013, 10:17   #14
DH
Global Moderator

Here's a little tut that should help you install newicons

Sorry the link to that tut is now unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances with the original poster.

Last edited by DH; 09 May 2013 at 03:33.
Old 16 May 2013, 00:05   #15
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I made a step-by-step guide about how to use Rebel's palette and skins on your WB3.x system
You can find it on my blog under the Guides section or by clicking here:
http://www.mfilos.com/2012/01/guide-...ier-using.html
Old 16 May 2013, 01:35   #16
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Nice one, Mfilos. It was lacking a guide
Old 16 May 2013, 01:38   #17
DH
Global Moderator

Indeed Retrofan, that's one banging guide you have there mfilos, awesome work mate
Old 16 May 2013, 11:42   #18
majsta
www.majsta.com

Thank you I m unable to test it now because I m stuck with other things But soon I will test it.

@PeterK Like I said I need step by step tutorial for everything. Do I need to repeat myself every time I m stupid
Old 16 May 2013, 12:54   #19
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Majsta mate don't bug Peter with guides
He's doing some really pro work with his library, so investing time to write a guide is a waste of his valuable time.
Since I can't help the pro coders, I can invest a bit of my time to help other fellow Amigans with some guides.
So just wait a bit and I will write a guide of how to install and use PeterK's icon.library and what options you can use.
AdSense AdSense