English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 22 April 2013, 18:58   #1
CBrown

I'm getting old

Hello, 28 year old Karl here from the Sweden. Currently living on Gotland while studying game design, final year so in about two months I'll be out on my ass looking for work and trying to make it in the big, bad world.

With that in my mind I got a bit nostalgic so I decided to bring down my old Amiga 500 from the attic. Works just fine but I can't really say the same thing of all my old games. Which made me seek out WinUAE. So here I am, figuring I'm probably gonna need the expertise of people far more knowledgable about the Amiga than me.

So here I am. Don't let me down, eh?

AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 April 2013, 19:08   #2
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Warm welcome to EAB, CBrown.

I'd kill (not literally....) to be 28 again!
Old 22 April 2013, 19:13   #3
kipper2k

I'd settle to be 44
Old 22 April 2013, 21:02   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi CBrown, and welcome to EAB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown View Post
So here I am. Don't let me down, eh?
Don't worry, we'll soon have you running all your old games again. You've come to the right place!
Old 22 April 2013, 21:30   #5
fryguy

Most of us are probably older

There's also a nice swedish Amigaforum http://safir.amigaos.se if you missed it.
Old 22 April 2013, 23:33   #6
psygnosis

Welcome in
Old 22 April 2013, 23:43   #7
CBrown

Thanks for the welcomes!

Eh, I know I'm not too old but it's hard to feel young when most of the people in your class are around 19-20 years old and their first console was the SNES or even the Playstation. They tend to get bored really quickly when I start talking about Amigas and Vic-64s and stuff.

Makes me feel a lot older than I really am, I guess,heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
Most of us are probably older

There's also a nice swedish Amigaforum http://safir.amigaos.se if you missed it.
Yes, but due to my chosen profession I tend to use English as my language of communication. Thanks anyhow. ^^

Old 22 April 2013, 23:49   #8
TCD
Global Moderator

Vic-64... it's either Vic-20 or C-64 young padawan (just in case there's another old geek geezer in your class )
Old 22 April 2013, 23:55   #9
CrazyOne
TheCrazyDevil ;)

28 years and feeling old already?

Ah...those teenagers these days...

When I was 28...

Okay..I'll shut my mouth now.
Old 23 April 2013, 00:01   #10
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
They tend to get bored really quickly when I start talking about Amigas and Vic-64s and stuff.
Tsk. How rude. Don't know there born half of 'em.

I'm fortunate to had been there near enough from the beginning of home computers (Sinclair ZX81) and still play ZX Spectrum (and others) using emulators. It is pretty damn amazing how far we've come in terms of technology and I like to do comparisons (for example: Outrun - different ports and versions over the years right up to Outrun 2006). For me, the original classic games hold the most nostalgia and fondest memories and some of today's "remakes" tend to lose that feeling in transition.

Then again, it could really be that I'm getting old - too many of today's games call for too many buttons and it takes me forever to remember what does what. What's wrong with up/down/left/right and fire, eh? Like it used to be with the ol' Competition Pro Joystick.

Anyhow. Enough of my ramblings (could turn it into a bedtime story - get my kids of to sleep quicker!) and I hope you get all the help you need from EAB to set yourself up for Amiga gaming heaven.
Old 23 April 2013, 01:51   #11
NovaCoder

Welcome Karl,

I was 28 back in 98', that wasn't so long ago was it? What year are we in now BTW?

Old 23 April 2013, 18:12   #12
Zak
Zap´em

It takes a hundred years to become 30 but only a couple of months to become 40 afterwards lol.
Old 23 April 2013, 18:25   #13
jonathan
Pastafarian

Välkommen Karl! Bara att fråga på om det är något!

Welcome!
Old 23 April 2013, 20:47   #14
CBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Vic-64... it's either Vic-20 or C-64 young padawan (just in case there's another old geek geezer in your class )
It was actually called the Vic-64 in Sweden which is what I grew up calling it. Hence I still call it that despite it being the Commodore 64, heh. Or at least that's what was printed on the box of the computer or... console or whatever you want to call it. Complete with the datasette and everything. Anyway, yeah, Commodore 64 but here we called it VIC-64.

From now on I shall call it the C64.

And I suppose I make myself feel older than I really am. I guess that partly comes from hanging out mostly with younger people and the fact that I tend to watch a lot of old shows and movies and similar... and, of course, I play a lot of old games, heh. Doesn't really help, I guess.

Old 23 April 2013, 20:55   #15
Kitty
Sys dec($cdab)

Dude, 28 isn't old!
Old 23 April 2013, 21:11   #16
TCD
Global Moderator

Quote:
It was actually called the Vic-64 in Sweden which is what I grew up calling it. Hence I still call it that despite it being the Commodore 64, heh. Or at least that's what was printed on the box of the computer or... console or whatever you want to call it. Complete with the datasette and everything. Anyway, yeah, Commodore 64 but here we called it VIC-64.

From now on I shall call it the C64.
Nice trivia Didn't know it was called Vic-64 in Sweden and thought you just made a typo of some sorts.
Old 23 April 2013, 21:13   #17
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
It takes a hundred years to become 30 but only a couple of months to become 40 afterwards lol.
Thanks for the reminder.
Old 23 April 2013, 21:45   #18
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
I see I'm not the only one here 43-44 years old. Yes, I was one of the "pioneers"... I was using a C=64 at school to learn basic when I was 14... (yes, a classroom full of C64's and B/W monitors, datasettes and so). Aaaaah . We were there when all this started...
AdSense AdSense