English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 October 2002, 23:42   #1
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I should CoCo

Does ANYONE know where i can find Tandy Colour Computer (CoCo) games? You see im after the CoCo version of Rad Warrior which is the only port of "The Sacred Armour Of Antiriad" that i dont possess.

It was the "The Sacred Armour Of Antiriad" on the Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64 (outside USA) and the Spectrum 48k and the little known Enterprise!. Well the latter is a pirated spectrum duplicate like most Enterprise games

But it was known as "Rad Warrior" (no doubt because of American sensibilities) on the Apple II, the PC (in ugly ECS) and on the Tandy CoCo2 or CoCo3.

Its not like me to ask this kinda thing but the CoCo emulation scene is EXTREMELY small.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 October 2002, 00:41   #2
RetroMan

You speak of this game ?

I may have it somewhere on my CD´s, have a look for it tomorrow
Old 13 October 2002, 02:53   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, I think I have the game on a CD somewhere, as well. I'll try to remember to look for it, as wel.
Old 13 October 2002, 03:05   #4
Fissuras
Old Luny

CDs? Filled with COCO ganes? where to get/buy/copy/download one?
Old 13 October 2002, 03:35   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Mine is not *filled* with CoCo games as 1) there's not that many, and 2) they're not very big to begin with. If you want, I can probably up them all (I can't even remember how many I have or anything). I got them from a usenet flood.
Old 13 October 2002, 03:50   #6
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Cheers guys! As its related to me avatar and fave game its very very much appreciated!

Cheers for the link Retroman!
Old 13 October 2002, 09:52   #7
Fissuras
Old Luny

It would be good to put them in the zone... there is always a chance to find something new
Old 13 October 2002, 11:49   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I'm in the middle of something right now, but will dig up what I have in just a short bit. I used to have a friend in CA (one of the first Amiga users I met on a BBS after getting my first Amiga) who had just converted from CoCo to Amiga. He went on and on about how good his old CoCo was, but I just shrugged it off. I was reading some stuff about the CoCo earlier this morning and for its time, this was a nifty little box. I myself may have to fiddle with it a bit!
Old 13 October 2002, 19:37   #9
Frootloop

Evil grin Coco

I remember the Coco's on display at my local Radio Shack. They looked like cheap computers and were never usually on, but what I did see intrigued me. I never knew someone who actually owned a Coco so I always assumed that my C64 probably beat it hardware wise, though I was surprised to hear that later models had had a multi-tasking OS called OS-9. The newer models sound like really good systems from what I've seen on the web. Check out this site for some interesting screenshots (they even made demos on the thing!):

Sock Master's Coco Page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boink.gif
Views:	279
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	3803  
Old 13 October 2002, 21:53   #10
RetroMan

Sorry, I don´t have it Would be cool if you manage to find it @Twistin´
Old 14 October 2002, 02:44   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

As thus, I don't appear to have it, either. As promised, I uploaded all of my CoCo stuff (well, not the system roms and emulators...just ask, but I figure that stuff is common.)

Anyhow, I didn't see that title in there. There's some disk images with no names on them, so you can check those. There's a lot of stuff to play with, though. The first two archives I posted were zipped, which ended up displaying the full contents on the Zone page, so I re-arc'd them to RAR so the page would not be filled up with CoCo game listings!

OK, now I have a link for y'all. It's gonna take a while to read; I hate it for anyone not reading this thread because they'll miss out on this link! Squid actually is more talkative than I! But he's very clever and very smart. This first link is from one of his many articles archived on his site. He talks Amiga, PC, Mac, Unix, and CoCo. A very educational read. And it's underscored by its age, since the article was written in January 1997, so in five years time a lot of things have changed. But his concepts aren't outdated and quite deserve revisiting! Don't just browse over this, really read it:

How to Shop for an OS Division.

Even though you'll be spent afterwards, be sure to bookmark the front page:

Squid's Amiga Page and Rumor Mill 3.05

Jam-packed with more Amiga talk than you can shake a stick at. I've not read it all, but what I have read is intelligent and fair accountings of most things Amiga (and it's surrounding alternatives!)
Old 14 October 2002, 13:14   #12
Fissuras
Old Luny

Well, many rhanks for the files. I`ll check them with mine, so if I have any you don`t I`ll put them here too
Old 14 October 2002, 21:56   #13
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Cheers for looking everyone. Perhaps ill ask the guy who wrote that site about it.
Old 15 October 2002, 02:22   #14
Akira

Frootloop: that looks AWESOME!

Wake me up before you CoCo, etc!
Old 17 October 2002, 12:35   #15
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Well, the owner of the site very kindly sent me a copy of the game. And seeing you guys made the effort to help, its now in the Zone to add to your collection.
Old 17 October 2002, 12:56   #16
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
How to Shop for an OS Division.
Good article, but not much there that I didn't really know already, and a little longer than it truly needed to be.

Interesting reading nonetheless, thanks for the link
Old 17 October 2002, 14:06   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by P-J
Good article, but not much there that I didn't really know already, and a little longer than it truly needed to be.

Interesting reading nonetheless, thanks for the link
Well, I knew most of it, too, but it was nice seeing it all schlepped up into one big summary. And for being five years old, he saw things pretty clearly even then, sans a few little bits.

Yeah, it was a bit long, I agree...I forgot to mention that you need to smoke a joint before reading it.
Old 19 October 2002, 15:08   #18
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Tell me Twistin and Fiss, what do you emulate the CoCo3 with?
Ive attempted to with Mess 0.61 (using MessGui) but it must not like my CoCo3 system rom as all i get is a black screen.

And yet it works with Jeff Vavasours CoCo3x. But this doesnt handle DMK images which is the format that Rad Warrior came in.

On the other hand he says Mess supports DMK images, but it doesnt feature on the list of supported types of formats.
Old 19 October 2002, 17:19   #19
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I haven't Coco'd in a while. After I grab some shuteye, I'll look at my CD's and see what I have (in the way of emulators and rom/bios/system stuff).

Here's a site that lists some Coco/Dragon emulators:
http://emufever.romov.net/cpu/coco.html
Some of it is in Russian, if you happen to know the language (doesn't everybody?)

Then there is:
Sock Master's CoCo Home Page
Tandy CoCo Emulation
Paul D's CoCo Pages
Bugster's Tandy Color Computer Homepage
TRS-80 Color Computer Emulator Page
Return of Coco
Old 19 October 2002, 18:56   #20
RetroMan

@Antitiad

Would you please upload RAD WARRIOR to the zone ? I would like to take a look at it
AdSense AdSense