English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 March 2013, 02:20   #1
MethodGit

Is it worth going for any of these demo disks?

In case you may or may not have noticed lately, penfold_t_mole on eBay recently put up a whole bevy of obscure demo disks of the "not magazine coverdisks" kind. There's individual demo disks of Desert Strike, Dalek Attack, Krusty's Fun House, Lemmings 2, Bart vs The World, Combat Air Patrol, Shadow Fighter, Lotus 2, and a lot more.

There are two catches though.

1) Each disk is a lot pricier than the previous selection of disks Penfold put up (and some of which are still waiting to be bought), ranging anywhere from 8 to 20.

2) These disks apparently weren't kept in decent storage over the years and chances are they don't work properly. Which would be an awful shame if they were truly, completely unsalvageable because these are pretty damn rare.

So this leaves me wondering: how much of a disk *can* be salvaged, and what are the best tools for that? I'm hoping that at least one disk I buy off him will still image just fine, but I don't know how likely that is, and he isn't confident himself about them working well, hence why he's listed their conditions as "for parts". I don't think that really explains the price hike, though.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 March 2013, 12:12   #2
psygnosis

He does sell some good stuff him

Ive bought a few disks lately where the box stunk inside like a dampy mouldy smell and the games didnt work when i tried them...... Not off penfold i may add
Old 24 March 2013, 12:36   #3
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

Ask penfold to test them first.
Old 24 March 2013, 12:57   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

With bad disks at least you can make scans to contribute.
Old 24 March 2013, 19:24   #5
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Its a shame the seller wants so much for these when the sole purpose is to just save them from oblivion!

Disks are the bane of the Amiga, dam things just rot if they are not kept properly.

I will resort to cleaning the whole disk surface, both sides with tape cleaner fluid or iso/alcohol? whatever its called using ear cleaners. After allowing to dry I can usually get 99.5% success. Then over to a real amiga using twin drives and x-copy pro. Copying can somtimes be enougth to get a good image.

If the disk is corrupted and seems perfect then well its just trying to save what you can.

EDIT: Forgot to say! Toolwise - Kryoflux (It can do originals!), A1200 + extra drive and SPS/IPF Imaging tools.
I am seriously on the brink of buying a Kryoflux for this kinda thing! I have all the hardware/disk drives just need to buy the kryoflux itself.

Last edited by ElectroBlaster; 24 March 2013 at 19:33.
Old 25 March 2013, 00:51   #6
spanner
none

I have got a the demo disk of canon fodder on it,Good luck with them.You can try disk salvage its on classic WB.

I think prices on ebay of games for the Amiga are way of the top,I would not buy them from there. best bet is Amibay.

Last edited by spanner; 25 March 2013 at 01:06.
Old 25 March 2013, 17:25   #7
Cauterize

I just emailed penfold about some of these, several had me really interested, at least until I read his saddening reply to my questions about them:

Quote:
I had a go a few the other day and the drive just makes a scratching noise, in the end i had to clean my drive to get it to read disks again. :-(

I was gutted myself which is why i kept trying them and damaged my drive trying to find some that worked. They were all stored in a shipping container for 15 years. So open to the elements, hot & cold + damp. I've just had a look under the metal disk cover and sure enough under a light you can see surface damage. I very much doubt they can be saved.

My uncle kept all his old Amiga bits n peices from when he had a computer shop. I seem to remember he also had many demo's like this. I see him next week so will ask and find out if i can get hold of them just to make some copies. If copies is all you need, ie preservation then i'm happy to get them to you free of charge.
Hopefully we will have some of them in ADF format in the near future then
Old 02 April 2013, 16:18   #8
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
This Penfold chap needs to inspect and prep these disks before even attempting a read! Putting them into a drive and then expecting to read perfect... no wonder they will get damaged!

I have bitter experience of squealing noises, gouged tracks, gunked up heads etc. It was a learning experience I guess.

Disks can have all sorts inside them:

Grit
Food crumbs
Hairs
Mold
Oxidation

A constant reminder of the march of time and how it waits for no one!
Old 08 April 2013, 15:23   #9
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauterize View Post
I just emailed penfold about some of these, several had me really interested, at least until I read his saddening reply to my questions about them:

Quote:
I had a go a few the other day and the drive just makes a scratching noise, in the end i had to clean my drive to get it to read disks again. :-(

I was gutted myself which is why i kept trying them and damaged my drive trying to find some that worked. They were all stored in a shipping container for 15 years. So open to the elements, hot & cold + damp. I've just had a look under the metal disk cover and sure enough under a light you can see surface damage. I very much doubt they can be saved.

My uncle kept all his old Amiga bits n peices from when he had a computer shop. I seem to remember he also had many demo's like this. I see him next week so will ask and find out if i can get hold of them just to make some copies. If copies is all you need, ie preservation then i'm happy to get them to you free of charge.
Hopefully we will have some of them in ADF format in the near future then
Any update on this so far? If he's willing to get disks out for no cost, then should I just wait to see what happens, rather than fork out for any of them?
AdSense AdSense