English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 March 2013, 23:44   #1
psygnosis

help with amiga 500+600 disc drives

as said in my introduction i have recently got back into amigas and have purrchased a rather mint weird wild and wonderful A600 pack with zero yellowing and everything complete with it just like the day it was purchased as new.

i wasnt really going to play on the A600 and thought id purchase an A500 model mainly because i never owned one and just to use as a workhorse for games as im also purchasing big box versions of games aswell.

my problem started the other night i recently purchased an A500, pretty much mint factory seals intact no yellowing and the box was in pretty good condition.

i tried the machine as soon as i got it with cannon fodder and i worked perfect, i recently bought 3 medium box games from ebay (mutant hero turtles,hunt for red october,and back to the future 3) and thought id try them on it.

i inserted turtles and was met with a blank screen,i reset the machine and tried bttf3 and the drive made a strange whining noise then stoppped.

reset the machine again and tried hunt for red october and got a blank screen.

frustrated by this i tried cannon fodder and was met with a spectrum type loading screen then froze.

so i got out my A600 and tried turtles....got the same as the A500 a blank screen......so then i tried bttf3......and got the same as i did on the A500.

lastly i tried red october and the power light started to flash slowly then the machine reset itself.....

getting really frustrated now i inserted cannon fodder only to be met with that spectrum loading screen again!!!!! the same things happen on both machines surely the first game i inserted which is turtles could not have caused all this surely as both machines up until that point worked fine,its almost like both machines now have some sort of virus,and i tried turtles first also in the A600

i have tried other games in my A600 and all i get it read errors on everything i put in, including workbench disks and games

im going out my mind as to what it is , ive even stripped the A500 down and cleaned the drive but its still the same.

i havent opened the A600 yet

please can anybody shed some light on this

thanks
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 March 2013, 00:00   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

That strange whining noise... was it more of a squealing noise?

If so, it could be that the Mutant Hero Turtles and possibly the other eBay games disks are afflicted with mould growth.

You must quarantine those disks and clean both floppy drives thoroughly before trying them again with other disks.
Old 22 March 2013, 00:16   #3
psygnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
That strange whining noise... was it more of a squealing noise?

If so, it could be that the Mutant Hero Turtles and possibly the other eBay games disks are afflicted with mould growth.

You must quarantine those disks and clean both floppy drives thoroughly before trying them again with other disks.
yes sorry it was more of a whining noise,its strange that both my machines was perfect up until that point
Old 22 March 2013, 00:23   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

You can see similar horizontal bars in few game cracks - it's sign to change disks and press lmb (I think Turrican 1 or 2 and Anarchy had something like that). I think in your case loader can not find data on disk because of read error.
Old 22 March 2013, 00:47   #5
psygnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
You can see similar horizontal bars in few game cracks - it's sign to change disks and press lmb (I think Turrican 1 or 2 and Anarchy had something like that). I think in your case loader can not find data on disk because of read error.
seems that way mate just find it wierd how 2 machines can be working then develop the same problems

the horizontal bars only happen when cannon fodder is inserted all the others just come up with disk read error before loading
Old 23 March 2013, 20:14   #6
psygnosis

right ive opened my A600 and gave the drive a good clean

seems to have worked a treat now ill have to try the 500 again

thanks
Old 27 March 2013, 15:11   #7
psygnosis

ive had another look at the 500 and ive cleaned the drive throughly and it now seems to work..

i tried the 3 games i recently bought in my 600 and the drive stopped reading,i opened it up to find a line across one of the drive heads ,cleaned it off and it now works fine

prowler you was spot on mate by the looks of it and after further investigation of the game manuals it seems the staples holding the manuals together are rusty and the boxes do smell a bit damp

thanks again
Old 27 March 2013, 23:38   #8
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
That old classic mold again! Mold seems to love disks, once it gets in, it will spread and munch away if the conditions are right. I had this problem some years back. I took an a1200 and imaged thousands of disks, this was back in the days before Toni Wilen took over winuae. I then stored these disks away in old boxes. Conditions were not ideal and I lost around say 50% of them to damp and mold. But because they were imaged at least the data was not lost

When I acquire bundles of disks from ebay or other sources, some are perfect and others are not. I have 5 here that are BAD. I would not even put them near other disks until I had cleaned each one inside and out.

All part of the fun I guess!
Old 01 April 2013, 20:19   #9
demolition
Unregistered User

I was looking through some local Amiga stuff for sale when I came across this picture. Someone is selling some WB floppies, however they don't really look like they have been stored in a dry place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5060-fba6-4721-9b0b-88eda15660c4.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	34918  
Old 13 April 2013, 02:31   #10
psygnosis

They look a bit gone if you ask me
Old 27 November 2017, 04:40   #11
HarrisRT

Hi to all, I'm Robert and I have an Amiga 500, I don't know maybe this is not the correct forum, if its not then ease some one direct me to the correct one. I'm very new to the Amiga, but I did manage to install a hard drive using a scsi2sd card. The compute has 3.1 rom install and WB3.1 installed on hard drive. Don't know if this is normal but I can't open a shell unless I restart and insert the WB3.1 disc. If this is not normal then how is this fixed, or what' my problem, Thanks to all.
AdSense AdSense