English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 05 March 2013, 06:46   #1
glenn8383

Controller issues on some CD32 games

Hi all,

I have a real CD32 (not emulating due to my preference for authenticity!) and have just started having a problem with the controller but only on some games.

Here's the scenario:

I have a collection of about 15 games but had only loaded up about 5 of them in the past and decided to run them all up one night to ensure they all work. The first bunch of discs worked fine, including Superfrog, Arabian Nights, Alfred Chicken, and Bump 'n' Burn (these had all been tested and proven fine multiple times before).

I then ran the remaining discs and confirmed that they all booted, though several of them had an issue where the controls didn't seem to work properly. For example, I couldn't start a game in Global Effect because the Red button wouldn't select a menu option, but the Blue button would sometimes select a menu item, and sometimes cancel to the previous menu (so it looks like it is trying to do both functions at the same time). I noticed with another game that the red button did nothing, but the blue button would both pause the game AND shoot a missile at the same time (similar issue; one button, doing 2 things).

I didn't think too much of it at the time, but then decided to play Arabian Nights. Now the controls don't work in that game when it comes to the language selection screen! I can't select a language. Pressing anything on the controller does nothing. To get to the language selection screen though, you have to press a button to stop the intro, and this works fine (both red and blue). Alfred Chicken does the same thing: pressing a button closes the intro to open the menu, but pressing the buttons to make your selection (Red to play, Blue for options) doesn't register anything.

Interestingly though, Superfrog still works fine! I've tried the other games many times in the last couple of days and it's always the same problem.

The ONLY thing I thought was interesting was that one of the discs I loaded up (can't remember which one exactly... I think it was Whales Voyage?) noticable ran something in the AmigaDOS screen during boot-up, but I didn't see what it did. In any event, I didn't think anything could be done to permanently alter the configuration of the machine since the only EEPROM is for saved games and the like.

I don't believe it's a hardware issue as some games (like Superfrog) still work perfectly, while the controller works fine when the 'faulty' games first load up but not on subsequent button presses.

These are original discs too - nothing altered and burned on a PC.

Any suggestions? I've looked on Google tirelessly and note that one person had the problem I have with Arabian nights but there's no solution for it listed (plus they were running an emulator), and some people note the Blue button doing 2 things problem, but everything points the finger at an incompatible controller / WinUAE setup which shouldn't be my case because it's a physical machine, and an original controller which still works on some games.

Finally, I'll mention that I have an original Amiga joystick which I plugged in and confirmed that same issue in Arabian Nights. Pressing the fire button kills the intro animation, but in the language selection screen, I can't get anything to happen.

Cheers!

Old 05 March 2013, 12:57   #2
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Are you sure it's not the controller? Try another controller to rule it out 100%
Old 05 March 2013, 13:56   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Are you sure it's not the controller? Try another controller to rule it out 100%
I agree, he could also try the cd3devkit cd3 pad tester.
Lets you test both ports for joy and mouse functions.
Old 05 March 2013, 16:00   #4
glenn8383

Hi guys. Thanks for the tips. I thought (hoped?) that plugging in my original Amiga joystick would have been a proof that it's not the controller, but I don't know the compatability between the 2 systems. Maybe there is something weird happening where some guys assume you have the correct controller plugged in and don't support the joystick mode / gamepad mode I've read about. In any event, I'm seeing if I can find another controller (but not having much luck without getting one off ebay for hundreds of dollars).

FOL - I will look into this and see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

Old 05 March 2013, 16:02   #5
glenn8383

Just so I'm not getting confused, is this the utility mentioned?

http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/joytest_CP

If so, for the idiots like me who were 6 when we played Amiga games originally, how do I go about using this utility on a physical CD32 unit?

Old 05 March 2013, 16:31   #6
Akira
Black Lives Matter

The CD32 pad and an Amiga controller are different, so unless you try anotehr CD32 controller, the test is not valid.
Old 05 March 2013, 20:14   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

The cd32 controller has a programmed chip in it to do the extra buttons.
The cd32 pad tester is part of the cd32 dev kit. Theres a german site that hosts it, cd32 allianze if i recall.
Old 05 March 2013, 23:53   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
The cd32 pad tester is part of the cd32 dev kit. Theres a german site that hosts it, cd32 allianze if i recall.
Yes, that's right.

Here's the link:
http://static.cd32-allianz.de/downlo...eveloperKit.7z

Edit: Or, if that download link is troublesome, it's also in The Zone.

Last edited by prowler; 06 March 2013 at 00:07.
Old 06 March 2013, 13:17   #9
glenn8383

Okay, I'm getting there (slowly!). :-)

I've downloaded the file and found the utility. In order to run this on the CD32 do I need to create a burnable CD32 disc from an ISO similar to here: http://acdldp.emuunlim.com/bootablecdr.shtml

... or is there an easier way? I'm surprised there isn't a way to create the ISO / burn the disc directly from Windows (without requiring WinUAE). I read something about CDRWin handling the custom bootlocking (TM file) but haven't had time to look into it properly yet.

Sorry for being a noob to this side of the Amiga!

Old 06 March 2013, 13:38   #10
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn8383 View Post
Okay, I'm getting there (slowly!). :-)

I've downloaded the file and found the utility. In order to run this on the CD32 do I need to create a burnable CD32 disc from an ISO similar to here: http://acdldp.emuunlim.com/bootablecdr.shtml

... or is there an easier way? I'm surprised there isn't a way to create the ISO / burn the disc directly from Windows (without requiring WinUAE). I read something about CDRWin handling the custom bootlocking (TM file) but haven't had time to look into it properly yet.

Sorry for being a noob to this side of the Amiga!
I normally create iso as described in that guide, then move iso to pc and burn with imageburn of something like that.