EAB3 skin Register
English Amiga Board

support.Other>PFS3Doctor with Protected Volumes
Retrofan 14:37 15 February 2013
Hi:

Well, this thing drives me crazy

From time to time I get some problem with a Hd using PFS3 (read attempt outside partition or in this case "Device DH0: Rootblock extension invalid".

Then PFS3 protects DH0 so you can't run PFSDoctor or anything to try to repair it.

There must be a way so I don't have to format all the Cf HD again everytime this happens
Advertisement:

thomas 14:42 15 February 2013
I think you can change the DosType in HDToolbox to 0x00000000 so that the partition gets mounted but does not have a file system. Then run PFSDoctor on it and change the DosType back to 0x50465303.
Retrofan 15:02 15 February 2013
How do I change just the Dostype? I can't. I should add another file system, and it says it will destroy all saving it. Do I make that?

BTW (I haven't changed anything) , but it says "Wrong index Blockid" instead of "Rootblock extension invalid", well the same for me, I guess it doesn't mind. Edit: Ups, again Rootblock...
Toni Wilen 16:07 15 February 2013
C:Lock should work.

PFS3 will enable software write protect if it detects any problems to prevent any future coruption.

(You really sure you don't have some HD driver problems?)
thomas 16:16 15 February 2013
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen:
C:Lock should work.
I am not sure but I think that c:lock does not work. I remember a similar problem where I wasn't even able to format the partition because it was write protected. The only way was to change it to FFS, format it, change it back to PFS and format it again.

Originally Posted by :
How do I change just the Dostype? I can't. I should add another file system, and it says it will destroy all saving it. Do I make that?
HDToolbox -> Partition Drive -> Advanced options -> Change...

Changing the dostype will reset the values for mask / maxtransfer / block size and buffers. You should write them down before the dostype change and change them back afterwards.

If you are sure that you only changed the dostype you can ignore the warning.

I think ChangeBootPri can also change the DosType.
Retrofan 18:37 15 February 2013
Thanks. ChangeBootPri Amikit Dostype 0x0000000 changed it, but now although I can add it as hardrive, it doesn't show it. PFS Doctor shows devices: DH1, DH3, work1, DF0,Amikit0 (I've renamed the booting partition, another Amikit now). Selecting the device to repair DF0 says Error: rootblock could not be loaded. Aborted. Ready.
It can't repair DH3 (device could not be opened) , DH1 is Apps in my Cf and Work1 another Pc drawer.
Toni Wilen 20:02 15 February 2013
Originally Posted by thomas:
I am not sure but I think that c:lock does not work. I remember a similar problem where I wasn't even able to format the partition because it was write protected. The only way was to change it to FFS, format it, change it back to PFS and format it again.
C:Lock should disable the write protection lock (I checked the sources) but perhaps there is a bug.
Retrofan 22:47 15 February 2013
(You really sure you don't have some HD driver problems?)
Toni I have the idea that PFS3 and AIO have a problem when taking it to the limits: Pio5 with an A1200 with FastATA, or now with another A1200 Idefix/BPPC/BVision. This isn't a new problem for me, and I've tried several Cf's, using the right data for mask, maxtransfer and so.

However, not with all the Cf's. I think the problems start when using more than 4Gb (that's why I was using only two partitions with less than 4Gb in this 8Gb's one, waiting to finish all, but ...)

... to prevent any future coruption.
What PFS3 makes to keep secure the content of the HD only lets you format it, so lose it all... no future for these files. That is exactly what drives me crazy.

Anyway in this Cf at least I don't have stored much megas (and I've done 10 backups of the changes I'm doing to run AmiKit with BPPC/BVision), so I don't mind to format it, but I think I will do what Thomas says, changing the file system and formating just DH0, so at least I won't have to make again the partitions and install the file system.
Toni Wilen 07:46 16 February 2013
Your IDE interface appears to be unstable, it most likely randomly corrupts data while transferring. This can be a problem with high PIO modes because PIO does not have checksums. (UDMA introduced checksums)

4G problem would cause permanent, unrecoverable corruption.
Retrofan 11:17 16 February 2013
That's what I was thinking about the Amiga with Fast ATA, but this is another Amiga with the BPPC.

In two weeks I've had this problem twice with a 8Gb Trascend and none with a 4Gb Kingston.

Page generated in 0.06439 seconds with 12 queries