English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 October 2002, 22:50   #1
Bloodwych

Bloodwych needs a Retrosystem Box

I've decided to invest in the ultimate home entertainment system.

Forget about next gen consoles, here we're talking about a dedicated retro games box!

Yes I know Akira, nothing beats the real thing, but space is an issue. Itíll also be really cool having a retro game console to take around friendsí houses for multiplayer mayhem.

Money is not a limiting factor. A few ideas:

Small form factor PC box. Ideally one of those cube cases with 4 USB ports on the front.

Built in audio/video/LAN.

256MB RAM

2 x Arcade style joysticks. 2 x Joypads.

TV-out.

Other possible specs:

Nforce2 chipset (not sure if these are available for small cube cases)
Athlon XP 1600 1.4Ghz (as above)
DVDROM drive
Floppy
40GB HD

Ok, who's the PC hardware daddy round here?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 October 2002, 23:02   #2
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
I've seen a very small black case, infact no bigger than a standard VCR...

would be ideal to connect up to TV, and play retro games, watch dvds, divx and vcds

get a wireless keyboard and mouse, you can get a wireless keyboard with a built-in touch pad (like a laptop)
and
a couple of wireless gamepads

the spec of the base was close to your ideal spec, but a Nvidia mainboard with an onboard Geforce 4

You could get one of those editable launcher programs, build your own menu for each system or game!!! and extra options to run mediaplayer!!! for vids and music

Tiny tried this idea, it was called takcarmi or something like that, was a piece of over-heating shit though!!!

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!
Old 06 October 2002, 23:24   #3
RetroMan

A friend of mine built the "ultimate" Retro Game Box Iīve ever seen in my life

He plugged a C64, a Plus/4, a VIC 20 and an A500 into a PC Big Tower, including the drives, power supply and extensions

Sadly he saled it long time ago

But THATīs what I call a real Retrosystem Box
Old 07 October 2002, 00:27   #4
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Re: Bloodwych needs a Retrosystem Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
I've decided to invest in the ultimate home entertainment system.

Forget about next gen consoles, here we're talking about a dedicated retro games box!

Yes I know Akira, nothing beats the real thing, but space is an issue. Itíll also be really cool having a retro game console to take around friendsí houses for multiplayer mayhem.

Money is not a limiting factor. A few ideas:

Small form factor PC box. Ideally one of those cube cases with 4 USB ports on the front.

Built in audio/video/LAN.

256MB RAM

2 x Arcade style joysticks. 2 x Joypads.

TV-out.

Other possible specs:

Nforce2 chipset (not sure if these are available for small cube cases)
Athlon XP 1600 1.4Ghz (as above)
DVDROM drive
Floppy
40GB HD

Ok, who's the PC hardware daddy round here?
You can get plenty of decent MicroATX style cases, but just be sure you can upgrade the video. ECS makes some decent MicroATX boards. Just be sure you get one that comes with an AGP port. You can find them, but it'll take some looking around. Everything else is onboard even the video, but it still includes an AGP slot and suports the latest x86 processors.
Old 07 October 2002, 14:04   #5
Bloodwych

Djay, sounds interesting. Some great suggestions. Have any links?

Retroman, I've heard you mention this gem of a creation before. I'd have a go at building one myself, but I've got a weak stomach ripping apart vintage hardware. I like retro machines to keep there original look, that's why I won't tower my A1200.

Oscar, thanks for the info. I've seen one or two acceptable MicroATX cases in desktop style. Do I really need an AGP port however? I'm emulating machines no higher than the N64/playstation so the integrated geforce video should be just fine. No latest PC games on this baby!

Hmmm. You might be right however since an integrated board won't have TV-out. Therefore I can either buy a non-integrated mainboard and a cheap geforce 2 card with tv-out, or an integrated mainboard and PCI TV card.
Old 07 October 2002, 14:19   #6
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
I'm not really big into emulation. The only emulator I've purchased was the Amiga Forever 4.0 a while back. Although i really do not use it as a full fledged Amiga from day to day, just tinkering around with it whenever I get a chance.
My local PC shop sells a cube type system with integrated everything plus an AGP slot. Has an Intel and AMD model CDRW and floppy and the cube has a handle on it. I'll see if I can get the mobo info next time I'm in there.
Old 07 October 2002, 16:19   #7
Akira

If you are going to take a Pish-E with emulators running, forget about this box thing. Build yourself a PC arcade cabinet, and play like the champs
Old 07 October 2002, 23:50   #8
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
@Bloodwych...

the system isn't available as a complete system, you would have to build it yourself.... which is always better......

just search through a few hardware online stores...
Old 08 October 2002, 00:14   #9
Bloodwych

Oscar, thanks. I can get similar models over here in the UK.

Akira, perhaps that'll be my next project. An arcade cabinet to house this PC box. This was I can just remove the box when I need to play around a friends.

Djay, I always build and optimise my own PC's. That's half the fun, right?

I'm also pretty good at trouble shooting problems after hanging around hardware forums - surprising how much you can learn from these sites. You must be able to filter out the good info from the crap rumours however - misinformation about PC's can be abundant and quite frighteningly repeatable.
Old 05 June 2005, 18:21   #10
Bloodwych

I've just remembered about this thread!

Well, I did finally get around to building a retrobox and it literally is a box, or a cube as it's marketing name implies.

I have to say, I'm really getting back into emulation since buying a dedicated machine to become a substitute for my lost youth. Shown below is an Aopen X-Cube - an inexpensive SFF PC that does nothing but run emulators!

*geek mode*

Inside is my old Athlon XP overclocked and running at 1500Mhz; along with it came my 2 sticks of 256MB PC2100 DDR, but now running at 150Mhz (300Mhz DDR); the chipset is nforce2 using the built in integrated graphics in dual channel mode with TV-out.

*normal mode*

Also intend to buy some arcade sticks next. Considering the Logic 3 ones shown below as they're cheap and have USB, playstation and X-Box connections as standard! The other option is the mighty (and expensive) X-Arcade 2-player station, but they have a serial connector and you have to buy adaptors separately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	logic3_arcade_stick_tri_format.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	8654   Click image for larger version

Name:	SYB-AO-EX65PEBL.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	8655  
Old 05 June 2005, 20:17   #11
EmuChicken

dude, if you still need some pc helping putting stuff - or fixing pc n ... stuff, gimme a pm, I can help no probs :-)
Old 06 June 2005, 08:07   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Castillo
I'm not really big into emulation. The only emulator I've purchased was the Amiga Forever 4.0 a while back. Although i really do not use it as a full fledged Amiga from day to day, just tinkering around with it whenever I get a chance.
My local PC shop sells a cube type system with integrated everything plus an AGP slot. Has an Intel and AMD model CDRW and floppy and the cube has a handle on it. I'll see if I can get the mobo info next time I'm in there.
The one on Washington Street?
Old 19 June 2005, 10:18   #13
pvanmev

Thats kind of out dated by pc standards, may i suggest going with an athlon 64 or 2800 athlon. I know my old athlon 3000 was faster than 120 ppc under in mac emulation fusion(mac os 8) you will need at least 512megs to 1gig of ram. if you plan to play xp games. Harddrives are cheap now you can get a 250gig from tiger direct.com for about 100us. Get an old amiga case and mod it to a pc case. it better than letting someone trash it. 2000 or 4000 in my opinion are the best to mod because unlike the 3000 they have build in 5inch bay. You will need ati mini mother board. 3 pci max. and a old pc case. the basic idea you keep the amiga front and top every thing else would be a pc case. Graphics i would go with at least a good direct 8 card to play modern xp games. I know you stated a 1600athlon but you can get athlon 2800 for about 28us after rebate. For example if you watch what you buy and where i can build an athlon 64 3400 for about $550 can charge around $750 withstandard pc case. That with 1gig ram,120gig hd, dvd burner+- ,no floppy but 128 mem stick also no modem because most have eithernet now.Also wireless kb and mouse. this is examaple what you can do if you shop around check tigerdirect.com, justdeals.com, and pricewatch.com for prices. I dont fully trust price watch stores had my credit card number stolen once from one of them. but the other 2 are good.

Old 19 June 2005, 11:18   #14
Bloodwych

Thanks for the suggestions Pvanmev, but you might not have noticed I started this thread in 2002 so the initial specs in the first post will be out of date!

The box I ended up building is made from old PC parts I had lying around the house and will be mainly for running late eighties/early nineties emulation (eg Amiga/Arcade/SNES/x6800/Megadrive etc) so latest PC games are of no concern - I'll play those on my main PC.

The one I ended up building in my most recent post is perfect for this and I've already had a scream taking it around friend's houses.
Old 19 June 2005, 12:13   #15
Marcuz
Wurk???

you could build a desktop theme instead, with big 256*256 PNG icons for the emulations program to make it less windows intrusive. i suggest Avedesk for this purpose:
http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=75
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=287831
it is really light on resources and very useful for commodities, here a screenshot of my current windows setup
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0004.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	8740  
Old 19 June 2005, 12:25   #16
Bloodwych

Great suggestion Marco - I'll take a closer look at those icons.

I did actually create my own wallpaper after a session ripping graphics from WinUAE. The emulator icons are kind of scattered in the black spaces I left:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RetroCube.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	8741  
Old 19 June 2005, 12:29   #17
Marcuz
Wurk???

actually i want to create some icons for systems too, if you have suggestion for sites with neat images of retrosystems i'll make up and sgare something gladly, i'm browsing google now
Old 15 August 2005, 02:51   #18
Marcuz
Wurk???

i haven't forgotten, but i have to find some images still and the work on it is kinda boring; to do vectorized images instead would be very long. someone interested?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0005.gif
Views:	141
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	9163  
Old 15 August 2005, 03:22   #19
Shrub

What machines are you going to be emulating? If you mean playstation and earlier consoles then you can get away with a Pentium 3 500, or a Pentium 2 400 if you don't want to emulate the playstation - and you can pick up small desktop P2 400s for under £30 on ebay including P&P

Edit: Ah, N64, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't get Pj64 or anything else to run perfectly on my Sempron 2200+, haven't tried it on my Althon XPM 2600 yet though.

Last edited by Shrub; 15 August 2005 at 17:09.
Old 15 August 2005, 11:38   #20
Marcuz
Wurk???

i used to run N64 on my puny AthlonXP1800 but not every game works 'cause of the drivers used by the emulation program
AdSense AdSense