English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 14 January 2013, 19:51   #101
roy bates

@foob

if you dont mind,i had a look through this thread but as i was reading it i skipped to the end so i dont really know how you got on or how far you got with this.

if your interested ive got a 37.300 rom here you can have and i spare floppy drive(i dont know if the drive fully works i can test it )its yours for free if you want it.
the drive is a teac FD-235F

if someone can confirm this rom to be of use,then fair anough.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 January 2013, 20:03   #102
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
@Roy

We think Foob's floppy drive is actually ok but the Rom upgrade would allow him to install a CF card on the internal IDE so it would be very a useful upgrade.

I know however Foob didn't want to open his A600 up hence going down the route of trying to load the OS via PCMCIA which should now be possible with his smaller CF

Steve.
Old 14 January 2013, 20:11   #103
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
@Roy

We think Foob's floppy drive is actually ok but the Rom upgrade would allow him to install a CF card on the internal IDE so it would be very a useful upgrade.

I know however Foob didn't want to open his A600 up hence going down the route of trying to load the OS via PCMCIA which should now be possible with his smaller CF

Steve.

well,we shall see how he gets on.im a sucker for the underdog

personally i would of just stuck a harddrive in there and be done with it,but..if this is what he wants.
Old 14 January 2013, 20:34   #104
foob

Thanks for the offer Roy but i'll think i'll stick with the vanilla A600 for now. I'm just waiting on my CF reader to come so i can put these .adfs onto the CF card and see if i can finally write one.

I'm a bit of a purist in that sense, i derive far more pleasure from having things exactly as they were, floppies and all, than a more updated and modern setting. The goal is to achieve everything without opening the A600 if possible, and finally i think i've almost got it.

I'm thinking of getting a 1200 or another 600 in the distant future specifically for learning though, which i will most likely be quite happy to rip to shreds and tinker about with, but thats another project for another day. As mentioned earlier, if i am eventually successful and i find myself a little bored, i'll compile everything i can into either a post or a webpage and write a little mini guide/journal about what i've encountered, that should guide every other new a600 owner down a path far easier than the one i experienced.
Old 15 January 2013, 13:35   #105
foob

Time to bring some bad news updates! did you think we were finally finished?

So..... MY CF reader finally came, and i stuck the thing in, gave it a format and loaded it with some .adfs.... and now its behaving exactly like the 4GB card did. AT least we know now that the card itself is definately compatible with the Amiga in its normal operating capacity, so im starting to think its something windows is doing to the card thats starting to mess with things.

I have tried both FAT 16/32 and different allocation sizes, and none of them seem to work. Booting with EasyADF just hangs when connecting the CF card after it asks and booting from the CWB with akira bootfloppy just does the usual "taking a million years to load". I'm not sure wether or not it will actually load because it hasn't yet but its only been at it for five minutes or so.

I'm currently running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. Any ideas?

edit update: it didnt boot.

Last edited by foob; 15 January 2013 at 13:45.
Old 15 January 2013, 19:58   #106
foob

i have been formatting this thing all day and i have come up with the following....

FAT16 and 32, regardless of the allocation size, yeild the same results. Freezing/stalling when booting from easyADF and attempting to mount/load the CF card.

Formatting into a different filesystem (exFAT in my case), will make the CF show up on the Amiga as CF0:NDOS immediately, but i cannot open it (for obvious reasons). Then when trying to run EasyADF, it cannot run it because it does not recognise the disk as a DOS disk, which again, is most likely for obvious reasons.

So from that we can determine that the Amiga itself is having major issues with windows-based formatting. Any ideas why? Or for that matter, any way around this? the only ones i can think of is that the KS ROM .299 has issues, but i would like to ask steve to check that because i cannot remember if the testing he did was on a .299 KS.

Alternatively, and i'd like someone to confirm this is possible/safe before i try it, is formatting the card in winUAE using workbench into a proper amiga-recognised format, and then using .adfs in winuae to mount floppies, make an .adf from that floppy using winUAE and save it on the CF card that way. This is of course ridiculously convoluted and preferably i would like to avoid this (if it is even an option in the first place).
Old 15 January 2013, 20:10   #107
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@foob,

Would you like me to send you the 1gb CF I was using for testing? As I said it has some block errors as it's pretty old but it might help you get some games and stuff written to Disk.

Just let me know if you want me to send it and I will

Steve.
Old 15 January 2013, 21:53   #108
foob

Thanks for the offer, but i get the feeling that with what we know about this issue now, its something quite solvable as i'm fairly certain its software based. There shouldn't be any need to.
Old 15 January 2013, 23:46   #109
Akira

The only reason I can think of right now is a corrupt FAT95 filesystem in L:
But it would be pretty weird to have both filesystems corrupted in EasyADF and my disk.

Is it possible, that the FAT95 filesystem, does NOT work under foob's kickstart revision?? If that's the case, could it be possible that a different version of the filesystem would work?

Ppil's HDF mounting bootdisk, I bet, would work, if this is the case, or at least would be a great testing point for this assumption.
Official docs say "every AMIGA, OS 1.3+ (OS 2.0+ for full functionality)", what would "full functionality" mean, and perhaps this Kickstart is not seen as "2.0+" or whatever FAT95 is supporting?
Old 16 January 2013, 03:40   #110
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foob View Post
Thanks for the offer, but i get the feeling that with what we know about this issue now, its something quite solvable as i'm fairly certain its software based. There shouldn't be any need to.
No probs, I was just thinking it would at least rule out other issues. Right now it's set to boot ppills boot hdf, I could even include the boot floppy so you'd be all set to go.
Old 16 January 2013, 13:32   #111
foob

Well, i may have to if noone has any further ideas on what could be causing the issue. It just seems silly to start posting things about when i have a pronlem that is likely solved by pressing a few buttons though.

The only other thing i can think of myself is Hardware however, in that the brand of the CF card may handle the filesystem differently than other brands, as both cards this happened on were Transcend ones. However, i really don't think this is the case because i'm fairly certain this wouldve been a common problem if it was to do with a particular brand
Old 16 January 2013, 13:46   #112
Akira

I have used Transcend cards before. They are legit.
It is a VERY weird problem. I would also think it could be a problem with the CF adaptor itself. Why has it not being questioned ever? It could well be the problem. Then again, the Amigakit page does say EasyADF works from 2.05 up, so perhaps, your kickstart is, after all, the problem.

If you had a mate with anotehr A600 you could test the kit with, it would be very helpful.
Old 16 January 2013, 13:48   #113
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I'm off to the post office later so just PM me your address if you want me to send it
Old 16 January 2013, 13:54   #114
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Doesnt really help with your problem, but for example my Kingston CF 4GB works via CF to IDE adapter. But when i tried it via Delock PCMCIA adapter
http://www.vesalia.de/e_amigapcmciacf.htm
it didnt worked, no matter what i tried, i got same error as you.
But if i tried older 1GB Sandisk, also newer Extreme II,III series, they all worked, both on IDE adapter and in PCMCIA Adapter.
Old 16 January 2013, 14:06   #115
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I must of gotten lucky when i got my cf cards, i bought 3 random branded 4gb cards and they all worked fine in both my pcmcia slot and on the ide when i tested them!

As for kickstart version, i originally used EasyADF on KS2.05(37.299) and i can confirm it worked fine on that KS.

Ppil's pcmcia boot floppy/cwb setup used to run ok on this version of the KS to, even though 37.299 does not have any hd/ide support and is regarded as the crappiest KS2 chip.

Last edited by hansel75; 16 January 2013 at 14:11.
Old 16 January 2013, 14:16   #116
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
Ppil's pcmcia boot floppy/cwb setup used to run ok on this version of the KS to, even though 37.299 does not have any hd/ide support and is regarded as the crappiest KS2 chip.
But you were the one having problems with MY bootdisk, right? You said it didn't work.
Have you ever tried EasyADF?

I am beginning to believe the FAT95 implementation we all use for PCMCIA devices, does NOT work on 37.299
Old 16 January 2013, 14:18   #117
foob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I have used Transcend cards before. They are legit.
It is a VERY weird problem. I would also think it could be a problem with the CF adaptor itself. Why has it not being questioned ever? It could well be the problem. Then again, the Amigakit page does say EasyADF works from 2.05 up, so perhaps, your kickstart is, after all, the problem.

If you had a mate with anotehr A600 you could test the kit with, it would be very helpful.
For clarification, which CF adapter are you questioning? the PC one or the Amiga one?

The PC one i have only tried one crappy chinese off-brand one as anything decently branded in shops are 20+ and theres no way as a human being i can pay 20 for a memory card reader. I did think of this initially, and formatted the card on an old laptop that has a PCMCIA port on the side, and used the CF card in the amigas PCMCIA reader to format, to no avail.

If you mean the PCMCIA adapter, it was one that was bundled from Amigakit with EasyADF, so i'd imagine its compatible. However, before i fixed it i ordered another for a quid which has yet to arrive so when it does i could always try that, but given the amiga recognises everything when its not in FAT16/32, then i can't quite think of a reason that the PCMCIA adapter would interfere with this.
Old 16 January 2013, 14:23   #118
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
There is also list what CF cards works on PCMCIA adapter and what not
http://www.amigaportal.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=2269
(funkcni = working, nefunkcni = not working)
Old 16 January 2013, 14:34   #119
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
But you were the one having problems with MY bootdisk, right? You said it didn't work.
Have you ever tried EasyADF?

I am beginning to believe the FAT95 implementation we all use for PCMCIA devices, does NOT work on 37.299
I did have issues with your boot disk akira, but ppil's worked fine and i used it for many months, i would boot the boot floppy, then it would redirect over to the pcmcia card's hdf file in which contained cwb, i also had access to the rest of the card for storage, and that was on a KS2(37.299).

And before that i was using easyadf from an amikit floppy disk, to write out 100x adf games to real floppies that were of the pcmcia card, and it worked perfectly on 37.299(i have this very chip in my hands atm to verify, it's a spare now that i upgraded to ks3.1)! But at the time i did have 2mb chip in my A600.

Edit- Sorry if this is all confusing Foob, just trying to eliminate possible causes to your problem.

Last edited by hansel75; 16 January 2013 at 14:51.
Old 16 January 2013, 15:21   #120
Akira

Thanks for that hansel, I guess we can rule out this being an incompatibility problem of FAT95 with 37.299.

foob, I meant teh PCMCIA adapter. It COULD be faulty, you know. It's a very, very strange situation. If you were any closer, I'd offer to pop around for an intensive testing session, but NEwcastle is quite off for me :/
AdSense AdSense