English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 October 2002, 12:54   #41
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Try them on drugs!

Seriously, though, for me, demos were/are an escape. A different kind of escape than a game. Sometimes you don't want interactive. The same way you will sit down and watch a movie or something. Just relax and enjoy a visual onslaught of things you've never seen before (or a variation thereof). Sometimes it will be the perfect combination of visuals and music, or just being impressed at new graphic tricks the coders came up with. For me, it's a whole lot more fascinating than a stock 3D engine wrapping bitmapped textures over yet another dungeon or cave wall. Sometimes, demos have a trance-like effect on me. Sure, some demos are the standard fare with the same ol' same ol', but a good deal of them offer fresh content, some groundbreaking, some funny, some displaying a smart design sense, etc.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 October 2002, 22:06   #42
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I'm the same way with the visualizations on Winamp, WMP or the like. Yeccchh. I disable them.
Old 05 October 2002, 22:40   #43
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
I'm the same way with the visualizations on Winamp, WMP or the like. Yeccchh. I disable them.
A demo is a laid out piece of digital art. A visualization is just a pretty oscilloscope. They have nothing to do with each other!

Personally I rather watch demos for 4 hours straight than having to put up with Hollywood's movie garbage (Scoobydoo, WTF IS THAT)

I second the use of psychoactives for enhancing the demo experience
Old 05 October 2002, 23:10   #44
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

To me, they are the same: movies for the LCD, "profound" demos, visualizations, they do shit for me. End of story.
Old 10 October 2002, 10:19   #45
Frootloop

Happy Demos rule

I got interested in demos after seeing all those little cracktros in front of the C64 games I downloaded. I always looked forward to downloading a new release so I could see the neat little intros and listen to the cool chip music. It goes without saying that I enjoyed some of the intros more than the games themselves because, in my eyes, the intros were like little pieces of art and you could tell that the coders and musicians put a lot of effort into making their products stick out (eye/ear candy). I couldn't wait to get an Amiga so I could see the 16-bit cracktros!

Check this out: Word of Cracktros
Old 10 October 2002, 21:14   #46
cv643d

yes it is slowing down..
AdSense AdSense