English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 January 2013, 21:06   #41
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
that is definitely "coder specific" as you call it.. The stars are probably rendered directly in the vertical blank interrupt, while the text rendering runs outside this interrupt and gets whatever leftover processor time is available...
Hmmm, well that makes sense Always impresses me seeing the effect in action, better than seeing the whole lot slow down...dynamic slowdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
If it stays choppy even when running on a faster Amiga, it's maybe clocked to an interrupt every 2nd frame (because they couldn't make it finish in one frame on the model it was designed for).
Perphaps it's more dynamic than that, running it on the A1200 theres no slowdown.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 16 January 2013, 22:38   #42
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Perphaps it's more dynamic than that, running it on the A1200 theres no slowdown.
Uridium 2 was coded by Andrew Braybook and he sure knew how to handle 68k.
Old 19 January 2013, 14:06   #43
Photon

Slowdowns are never intended, if it's "constantly slowed down" it was because the routine took too long on some model and you went for half framerate instead.

The usual source for intermittent slowdowns is the coder coding for a more powerful model and hasn't added code to manage framerates.

This sometimes happened even for base models, if they were made more powerful by adding true fastmem (faster than chipmem) and never thinking of that they might end up in slowmem (as fast as chipmem).

Sometimes slowdowns are due to system interrupts still running. If it gets worse if you wiggle your mouse, that's the source for it.
Old 04 February 2013, 01:50   #44
ImmortalA1000

I am going to say Shaun Southern.

He out Sega'd the two most iconic Sega franchises in the time of Amiga 500 (Kid Chaos and Lotus II vs Outrun and Sonic 1 at the time).

In fact I don't think anyone will ever write a faster AND smoother game engine than the one used in Lotus II.
Old 04 February 2013, 03:25   #45
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Slowdowns are never intended, if it's "constantly slowed down" it was because the routine took too long on some model and you went for half framerate instead.
I agree. However I like the fact that some coders are more imaginative in disguising the Amiga's technical shortcomings using various tricks/techniques. A lazier or less skilled coder would have just let the whole screen come to a grinding halt... It's like project X, colourful, tons of sprites on the screen with smooth scrolling (well the screen scroll), however the sprites are drawn at half the frame rate but due to the nature of the game it's hardly noticable.

I remember when Ruff n Tumble was released, my friend at the time hated it. He didn't like the fact that the coder sacrificed the smooth scrolling for it's overall visual fidelity...I on the other hand just loved it!
Old 09 February 2013, 14:35   #46
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
He out Sega'd the two most iconic Sega franchises in the time of Amiga 500 (Kid Chaos and Lotus II vs Outrun and Sonic 1 at the time).

In fact I don't think anyone will ever write a faster AND smoother game engine than the one used in Lotus II.
Lotus II is a very good game, far superior to Outrun. But Kid Chaos doesn't come close to Sonic on the Megadrive.
Old 09 February 2013, 19:10   #47
fishyfish
Banned

Im quite fond of Lotus2 (best in the series in my opinion), but cant say I agree with it being better than Outrun. I think Outrun has been tinted somewhat over the years due to the lacklusture conversions it received (not just on amiga). The original arcade game is still a corker, and its sequel (Turbo Outrun) is still to this day my favorite "sprite" based "3d" racer (although again, its conversions were pretty crappy).
There's not a single game of this style I can think of that reaches these Sega classics (arcade versions at least) in terms of raw speed.
To each his own as they say.
Old 10 February 2013, 17:33   #48
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

The arcade racers had special hardware to achieve this kind of smoothness so not really a fair comparison, if we're talking about the quality of the programming.
AdSense AdSense