English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 December 2012, 01:38   #21
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus View Post
Hmm, it's shift and 2 on my keyboard.
Here it emits the @ character... Your keyboard is an ISO? Mine is ABNT-2.

I tried every combination of keyboard options and key combinations. No way to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Some of games and demos from Antic Software Archive were recorded and uploaded to youtube. Please don't expect much from type-in titles. You can recognize them by running from harddrive (drive H:), not tape or disk drive.
Thank you again.

Last edited by prowler; 24 December 2012 at 01:46. Reason: Fixed quote.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 December 2012, 01:46   #22
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

might have to change the keyboard language to English (united kingdom) in windows I don't think SimCoupe likes it anywhere else.
Old 24 December 2012, 01:55   #23
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
might have to change the keyboard language to English (united kingdom) in windows I don't think SimCoupe likes it anywhere else.
Ah, should be this.
Old 24 December 2012, 03:08   #24
spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
And, what is the best SAM Coupé emulator for Windows 7, other than SimCoupe (albeit SimCoupe itself is very good)?
You could also try ASCD this started form the same root as SIM Coupé but is an alternative product. I'd say SIM is more friendlier, but both emulate the sam more or less as well as each other.

Here are three games I programmed for the SAM in the last year.
Old 24 December 2012, 03:44   #25
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
Here are three games I programmed for the SAM in the last year.
You designed the graphics too? I like the style, its very colorful. I love games like these that you develop.

Wow.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 25 December 2012 at 01:49.
Old 25 December 2012, 02:09   #26
Leandro Jardim

One thing that I always wanted to know about the amazing 8-bit computers like the SAM Coupé, is how they got a 512x192 framebuffer on a 8-bit machine with 64kb, mapped into 4 x 16kb banks...

My guess is that the VRAM memory is accessed indirectly by memory mapped I/O registers. Because if it be mapped in a very big memory bank, will lack memory for standard RAM and a 4 MB expansion for the CPU.

But I am not sure is this is correct, someone have the correct answer for this doubt?

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 25 December 2012 at 03:07.
Old 25 December 2012, 02:56   #27
discomeats
Just add brown sauce.

That'd be one way more or less, another is for the graphics hardware to be a separate device/system accessed by i/o using whatever method that cpu does i/o with; either with special i/o commands or via memory mapped i/o.

When it comes to hardware people have lots of different ideas about how to do things I guess
Old 25 December 2012, 20:48   #28
spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
One thing that I always wanted to know about the amazing 8-bit computers like the SAM Coupé, is how they got a 512x192 framebuffer on a 8-bit machine with 64kb, mapped into 4 x 16kb banks...

My guess is that the VRAM memory is accessed indirectly by memory mapped I/O registers. Because if it be mapped in a very big memory bank, will lack memory for standard RAM and a 4 MB expansion for the CPU.
But I am not sure is this is correct, someone have the correct answer for this doubt?
The 512x192 mode (mode 3) is only 2 bits per pixel. It needs just a 24KB frame buffer you can place anywhere you like in available RAM, taking up one and half pages. All the memory, including whatever you assign to the frame buffer can be paged in and out at will, you only need the frame buffer paged in to update it, once done, page it out and you have use the memory space for something else.

SAM doesn't use I/O registers for writing to video ram. It is all part of that 64KB memory block addressable to the Z80.
Old 26 December 2012, 03:58   #29
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
The 512x192 mode (mode 3) is only 2 bits per pixel. It needs just a 24KB frame buffer you can place anywhere you like in available RAM, taking up one and half pages. All the memory, including whatever you assign to the frame buffer can be paged in and out at will, you only need the frame buffer paged in to update it, once done, page it out and you have use the memory space for something else.

SAM doesn't use I/O registers for writing to video ram. It is all part of that 64KB memory block addressable to the Z80.
Thanks, was good that you explained!

When I read the SAM specs, shortly after I posted the first message, I tought that it used two bank switch schemes, one for the CPU and other for ASIC, for example, for the CPU a multiple of 16kb, and for the ASIC multiples of 24 kb. The ASIC could use a mirrored view of the memory map of the CPU where only the page multiple is different. As such would there is no way to switch slots in the ASIC, but the position of the memory of the two schemes could be thus "interlaced" with each other.

I did this assumption because acessing the bottom of the framebuffer with pages of 16 kb should be very difficult. For example, copying a bitmap from the top to the bottom of the framebuffer, if you can access only one half of it at once...

It should be very hard for you programmers of the SAM!

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 26 December 2012 at 22:19.
Old 28 December 2012, 05:15   #30
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
I love BASIC! Have programmed in other languages but nothing I've used has that "leave for years and still understand it" readability. I use it because it gets what I need done.

Most of my releases have been written in Blitz Basic either for Amiga or PC so far.

There's a disc image of some Sam Coupe stuff I did in 1991/92 which contains finished and unfinished BASIC proggys. http://coagulus.newport.net/c1/bin/robstuff.zip

Works on SAM emulators.
Quote:

Hmm. It access the memory map directly... The ASIC controls the memory remapping, and not the memory device and the same type type of memory can be mapped many times in different pages. Its different from the MSX!

Thanks everyone, the SAM is an interesting machine, I am glad to know it!

I am looking for other BASIC programs again, if you guys find one please tell me, ok?

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 28 December 2012 at 07:02.
Old 31 December 2012, 00:03   #31
s2325
Zone Friend

famous animated stars from intros and demos, in 5 lines of Basic [ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 December 2012, 00:42   #32
discomeats
Just add brown sauce.

5 lines of basic containing 6502 in 4 lines of data statements
Old 31 December 2012, 00:46   #33
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, even after all these years I made some mistakes in these data lines, just like in '80/'90
Old 31 December 2012, 00:54   #34
discomeats
Just add brown sauce.

I remember some sinclair magazine had their famous hex loader listings which would squeak at you when you made a mistake.
Old 31 December 2012, 18:49   #35
Dunny

Would it be bad form to mention my own BASIC interpreter?

It's based on Sinclair BASIC, has been ported to Raspberry Pi, Linux/x86 and Pandora (natively runs in Windows) and has a load of programs bundled up:

http://www.specbas.co.uk/

Demos can be had here:

https://sites.google.com/site/pauldunn/demos.zip

And on my youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZXSpin/v...ew=0&flow=grid

It's been heavily influenced by BBC BASIC and AMOS, though retains as much backward-compatibility with Sinclair BASIC as possible

D.
Old 01 January 2013, 05:14   #36
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Would it be bad form to mention my own BASIC interpreter?

It's based on Sinclair BASIC, has been ported to Raspberry Pi, Linux/x86 and Pandora (natively runs in Windows) and has a load of programs bundled up:

http://www.specbas.co.uk/

Demos can be had here:

https://sites.google.com/site/pauldunn/demos.zip

And on my youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZXSpin/v...ew=0&flow=grid

It's been heavily influenced by BBC BASIC and AMOS, though retains as much backward-compatibility with Sinclair BASIC as possible

D.
Hi Dunny,

I am using your programs from long time, for example ZX Spin and principally BASIn, I love to see it in action because ZX Basic was the first language I learned and I think admirable that a language so simple like it can take control of an entire computer, and its users can make games and personal applications with it.

I love your idea of making an OS-like BASIC interpreter. Many had the idea of doing it, but could never complete a project like this, but you seems to know how to continue your trajectory well. Your ideas and features that you add in SpecBAS seems very, very intelligent. I wish you luck with your project!

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 01 January 2013 at 22:08.
AdSense AdSense