English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 February 2016, 18:03   #381
eXeler0

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...gler-XAGA-Lite

150 and there are interested buyers. Am I missing something here? Wasn't the XAGA-Lite supposed to be the "poor man's Indivision" and now its actually more expensive than Indivision AGA? (at least 1200 version)

And is it worth getting for those odd A4000 users who still don't have an Indi? The Lite version doesnt seem to be on par with IV...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 February 2016, 20:08   #382
BarryB
Amigaholic

It's a rare piece of hardware, hardly any were made apparently
Old 11 February 2016, 00:31   #383
jcarvalho

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...gler-XAGA-Lite

150 and there are interested buyers. Am I missing something here? Wasn't the XAGA-Lite supposed to be the "poor man's Indivision" and now its actually more expensive than Indivision AGA? (at least 1200 version)

And is it worth getting for those odd A4000 users who still don't have an Indi? The Lite version doesnt seem to be on par with IV...
Well, I think that the seller can ask the price he wants to get. He wants to get some interest from the money spend some years ago... Like me... If I ever get my hands on the card that I have payed 3 years ago, I would ask 300 euros for it...
Old 11 February 2016, 00:51   #384
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarvalho View Post
Well, I think that the seller can ask the price he wants to get. He wants to get some interest from the money spend some years ago... Like me... If I ever get my hands on the card that I have payed 3 years ago, I would ask 300 euros for it...
Obviously the seller can set any price. I've seen ebay ;-)
But just because the guy once spent a lot of money on something doesn't necessarily mean its worth nearly as much now.
I bought my Flatscreen TV 5 years ago for €1400. It sure would be nice if someone payed €1000 for it now.. The *Reality* of the situation is that you can get a far better new TV for €500. So unless there is some other unknown collector value to my TV, it would be stupid to buy it even for €499.

Anyhoo.. I'm not blaming the seller, I was simply surprised that there were ppl interested at that price as I had the impression that the whole idea with the Scanjuggler project was to make an affordable "version" of Indivision... anyhoo...
Old 11 February 2016, 02:03   #385
jcarvalho

I think that the amiga users want to get free from the Individual Comp yoke... Everything that comes from other company/people is wellcome... The company sells products that makes you buy more products in order to make them useful, like ACA500 and other things..

Last edited by jcarvalho; 11 February 2016 at 02:15.
Old 11 February 2016, 20:59   #386
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarvalho View Post
I think that the amiga users want to get free from the Individual Comp yoke... Everything that comes from other company/people is wellcome... The company sells products that makes you buy more products in order to make them useful, like ACA500 and other things..
We shouldn't be to harsh, sometimes I think it's bloody amazing that some of these products are made at all for our little niche hobby.
But I'm also pretty sure that the biggest problem ppl have with indivision is pricing. e.g. 200 for CD32 version is not what I would consider a fair price for what it does.
Competition is usually great for the consumer.. in this case if you simply buy an equally overpriced item from a different seller then I'm not sure what we gained exactly.
Anyhow, just my opinion, obviously...
Old 14 February 2016, 12:21   #387
jcarvalho

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
We shouldn't be to harsh, sometimes I think it's bloody amazing that some of these products are made at all for our little niche hobby.
But I'm also pretty sure that the biggest problem ppl have with indivision is pricing. e.g. €200 for CD32 version is not what I would consider a fair price for what it does.
Competition is usually great for the consumer.. in this case if you simply buy an equally overpriced item from a different seller then I'm not sure what we gained exactly.
Anyhow, just my opinion, obviously...
Yes, I agree, competition is great for the consumer. The scanjuggler Xaga was tagged for about 100€ + postage, I got an email from Dezz at 10/06/2013 and Xaga would be the top of the line. I didnt asked prices for the Lite version, but it should be around 75€... The amibay seller gets a profit when it sells. I think even that low cost scanjuggler has better image than modern Indivision version. Remember when people bought Indi mk2 and could not do nothing with it because no firmware exists?? Jens lost a lot when the programmer of Indivision ECS jump off the company. So people want to avoid that and payed an overpriced item (i think), but looking the quality of the picture, maybe I risk to say "not overpriced". Well looking for the original price of Lite version is overpriced but like I said people want to avoid IComp when they can... Look fot the success of Vampire... When ready, you buy an Vampire 500 and dont need to attach an "vampire 1200" in order to get max performance or at least a decent one

Last edited by jcarvalho; 14 February 2016 at 12:48.
Old 14 February 2016, 21:38   #388
eXeler0

I'm sure the intended price was way below the Indivision or the whole project would have been... well, somewhat unnecessary.
The final price depends on the seller's strategy. Obviously if you have a business like Individual Computer then hirering someone to write drivers is just as much a development cost as the hardware itself. OTOH if you're a lone hobbyist you'll probably not charge for the Dev time, just hardware + a little profit to cover misc costs. This way you should be able to offer a competing product at a significantly lower price.
I suppose Jens *could* lower the price at some point - after all, the selling price ought to be calculated against the estimated amount of sales vs development cost... but at some point the Dev costs are paid for and you could choose to lower the price unless it's a product that sells well at the current cost...
Anyhoo, I never chose that option, I opted for a multi sync monitor and a VGA hub to connect multiple Amigas to same monitor. Still costs less that one Indivision.
And of course, we are already looking at the HDMI revolution that the Vampire platform will bring...
Old 12 May 2016, 09:09   #389
Nostromo

I think the guy has disappeared for good. I don't see him online on Facebook any more, and he doesn't reply to emails (not even with the usual excuses). Bye bye money :/
Old 12 May 2016, 10:04   #390
dJOS

Yeah didn't seem like he's going to fulfill his obligations doors it.

Oh well, just one more Amiga based scan for the books.
Old 12 May 2016, 13:40   #391
seb132
Happy Life

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132 Send a message via Skype™ to seb132
Shame...
Old 12 May 2016, 14:17   #392
happymondays

I bought one from the first batch of this, back in 2000. It costed me about 25 EUR back then. Looks quite different than this newer version, but it still works nicely with my flat LCD monitor.
Old 12 May 2016, 15:03   #393
amigoun

Last post on the hungarian forum from the beginning of January. From what I read thanks to online translator, seems full version not exists, lite version probably exists, but some design flaw, preventing making it a reality?
I already gave up hope. I regret I put money in it. I never even had received any email after having paid. Curently I use BenQ BL912 with the simple selfmade VGA Adapter, and I am quite happy with the picture quality.
Old 12 May 2016, 15:14   #394
dirkies
Zone Friend

so this turns out to be a scam, if the guy was overwhelmed by the project he clearly underestimated (as it looks like), and failed to deliver, he should refund all who pre-ordered, no matter if he spent the money on the project. If he doesn't, he is a crook who should be blacklisted in all Amiga communities.
Old 12 May 2016, 15:48   #395
happymondays

According to a Hungarian forum (I guess it is the same mentioned above), the 'full' version card had to be re-designed because the 'guy' was incapable of fitting all the features to the chosen FPGA. So he switched to another one, but only started with it about five months ago, although this process will probably not take more time than it took with the first FPGA, which failed ultimately. One of the last posts mention that there is an option to switch to the 'lite' version and get the difference transferred back or wait till the 'full' version is completed. It also says the guy is surely working on it, but he is kind of a full-time geek who has a fear of confronatation, that is why it seems he just scammed everyone and got away with their money.
Well, that is at least what they said on that forum, I myself don't know anything about this, just translated.
Old 12 May 2016, 16:03   #396
amigoun

I think everyone would be happy to get at least Lite version, but how to contact him and get a reply.
Old 12 May 2016, 16:06   #397
dirkies
Zone Friend

Thumbs down

This is a failed project, period. Refunding people is the only right thing to do right now, otherwise this is fraud. Instead he just disappears like in most fraud cases.

Imagine someone who owes you money does not repay because "he fears confrontation"...
well, he can be assured things would get ugly if I cross him!
He didn't fear it when he was cashing in all the preorders

Better use a framework like Kickstarter instead of private individuals promising whatever for $$$$ without any guarantee they are even competent to do it.

Vampire Team has shown they are competent and can be trusted, at least some good hardware guys still around!
Old 12 May 2016, 16:18   #398
happymondays

Yes, well, quite a number of posts on the Hungarian forum agree with you and so do I. He is rightly considered as a scammer until he delivers the product or issues a refund. Especially in this case where years passed without providing any proof of existence of the actual product.
Old 12 May 2016, 16:39   #399
roomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb132 View Post
Shame...
ding ding ding
Old 13 May 2016, 08:42   #400
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
well, he can be assured things would get ugly if I cross him!
Yeah, threats of violence is surely a perfect way to get an introverted person out of their shell.
AdSense AdSense