English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 12 December 2012, 16:56   #21
clitosa
CLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Well, it isn't optimal way to backup to FAT32 formatted device. Amiga files have certain attributes (protection bits) which aren't preserved on FAT32 filesystem.
Hi jPV - had wondered if a FAT32 system would be friendly to all files of the amiga OS. Kind of makes sense that it would not be.

Thanks for putting us straight on that. Good to know that WHDLoad games would still work on FAT32. It's our only way to transfer files to the amiga from the internet and from our pc.

Archive files with lha or other method is a bit out of our league though but nice to know that it's away around the fat32 system.

Thanks,
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 December 2012, 17:07   #22
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs up new thread for learning UAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
The emulator itself isn't at all hard to use, especially if you already have some knowledge of how to use an Amiga (which you obviously have).
Thanks laffer - Agreed. UAE is something we really need to learn, but finding online help for a particular version has proven difficult. Think i'll start an new thread for that one.

I hear AF is great for those ROM's but hear you can rip them from the original WB floppy disk.

Thanks for the input
Old 12 December 2012, 17:16   #23
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by clitosa View Post
Hiya - Okay thanks. Could only find this one from amigakit but it does not appear to use IPA.

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=276

Do you this ok or would know where to find one that does?
You could give it a go, I prefer the ones that use the solution but it might do the trick. It could of course just be that the media has reached the end of it's useful life. I have brand new workbench Disks that I use now or just write backups from ADF's to brand new floppy's as it's more reliable.

I can can send you the ADF's if you like (not illegal as you own the original Disks) & you can write them back with TSGui on the Amiga to real blank floppy's.
Old 12 December 2012, 18:15   #24
DH
Global Moderator

@clitosa
Here's a guide helping you install and run WinUAE done by our very own TCD http://awesome.commodore.me/forum/showthread.php?t=8

OK, it doesn't deal with the version 2.5, but I'm sure it's one of the most up to date guides on the web, and it should help you get to grips with it too.
Old 12 December 2012, 18:56   #25
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs up Great Guide Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
@clitosa
Here's a guide helping you install and run WinUAE done by our very own TCD http://awesome.commodore.me/forum/showthread.php?t=8

OK, it doesn't deal with the version 2.5, but I'm sure it's one of the most up to date guides on the web, and it should help you get to grips with it too.
@Demon - thanks for the link. That's a great guide,

Appreciated

Last edited by clitosa; 16 December 2012 at 02:45.
Old 12 December 2012, 20:21   #26
clitosa
CLI

Floppy disk ADF's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
It could of course just be that the media has reached the end of it's useful life. I have brand new workbench Disks that I use now or just write backups from ADF's to brand new floppy's as it's more reliable.

I can can send you the ADF's if you like (not illegal as you own the original Disks) & you can write them back with TSGui on the Amiga to real blank floppy's.
@FS - that's very kind of you. If our df0 is near the end of it's life (a fair comment) and it's not in breach of any copyright, would you be able to supply the ADF's by a different format? (ie not on a floppy)

Many Thanks
Old 12 December 2012, 20:40   #27
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Clitosa IMHO what you must do is to install WinUAE to use those ADF's and install the Cf there. The same way he can supply you those ADF's as you already have them (on floppy), he could send you the kickstart you need for WinUAE, as you already have an Amiga 1200 using kickstarts 3.1.

Last edited by Retrofan; 14 December 2012 at 01:08.
Old 12 December 2012, 21:45   #28
clitosa
CLI

uae kickstarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Clitosa IMHO what you must do is to install WinUAE to use that ADF's and install the Cf there. The same way he can supply you those ADF's as you already have them (on floppy), he could send you the kickstart you need for WinUAE, as you already have an Amiga 1200 using kickstarts 3.1.
Hi Retro, Thanks for letting me know.

Sounds good. wil ask if fs would be able to send the ks.

Thinking of getting AmigaForever as i think they supply the kickstarts too.

Thanks again
Old 12 December 2012, 21:51   #29
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, you have all that you need in Amiga Forever too .
Old 13 December 2012, 23:53   #30
clitosa
CLI

Question AmigaForever contains WB3.1 ADF files?

Quote:
Yes, you have all that you need in Amiga Forever too .
@retro - Does Amiga Forever contains the WB ADF files too?

Thanks
Old 14 December 2012, 00:01   #31
clitosa
CLI

Eek Df0mg

Quote:
You could give it a go, I prefer the ones that use the solution but it might do the trick. It could of course just be that the media has reached the end of it's useful life. I have brand new workbench Disks that I use now or just write backups from ADF's to brand new floppy's as it's more reliable.

@Fitz - Just found this one, but at that price it's cheaper to buy a new drive.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cd-dvd...aners/0201663/
Old 14 December 2012, 00:08   #32
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs up found it

Quote:
@Demon - thanks for the link. That's a great guide, appreciated

I wonder if I would be lucky enough to get the exact UAE as mentioned here. Maybe if i start a new thread on the subject.

Thanks again
Sorry - forget that, just found 2.3.3 on winuae.net, thanks

Last edited by clitosa; 16 December 2012 at 02:49.
Old 14 December 2012, 01:11   #33
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
@retro - Does Amiga Forever contains the WB ADF files too?

Thanks

Yes, it has all the adf files to install a WB3.1 from 0, and kickstarts too. Perhaps it won't be easy at the beginning, but you will find that you have more possibilities to install it, and the floppy drive won't fail
Old 14 December 2012, 03:13   #34
clitosa
CLI

Exclamation WB ADF files as tool icons

Hi all - we're trying to install WB3.1 again, this time using the 6 work bench ADF files. However when we transferred to our miggy via cf on the pcmcia, they are coming up as tool icons and do not seem usable.

I'm sure this is due to some error on our part.

Please advise. Many thanks,
Old 14 December 2012, 07:54   #35
ajk

That is to be expected, .adf files are floppy disk images; similar to how an .iso file is an image of a CD/DVD. You will need to write them back onto physical floppies or mount them in a virtual drive of some sort. Search for "writing adf back to floppy" or "amiga virtual floppy drive" for details on useful software.

You could also copy the contents of the floppies off the images within WinUAE/Amiga Forever, then copy the individual files over to the Amiga by PCMCIA.
Old 14 December 2012, 15:50   #36
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Sorry - forget that, just found 2.3.3 on winuae.net, thanks
Why use 2.3.3? There'll be little difference between that version (regarding the install guide) and version 2.5.0. I'm sure if there are any differences, you could work it out as it'll be almost the same anyway.

Imho I would use the latest stable version of WinUAE

Also, as ajk suggests, you need to write the adf images back to real floppies using your miggy, http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=60751

EDIT: Should of read a bit further down the EAB index, you have created another thread regarding this

Last edited by DH; 14 December 2012 at 16:05.
Old 14 December 2012, 17:43   #37
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Hi all - we're trying to install WB3.1 again, this time using the 6 work bench ADF files. However when we transferred to our miggy via cf on the pcmcia, they are coming up as tool icons and do not seem usable.

I'm sure this is due to some error on our part.

Please advise. Many thanks,
As said before use TSGui to write them back to real floppy's
Old 14 December 2012, 18:32   #38
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
As said before use TSGui to write them back to real floppy's

Sorry fitzsteve, but he has the floppy as you know out of order, so I will ask for him: How are "they" going to use an adf without a floppy drive?

There are ways, but the easy answer is: forget about the Amiga. Install Winuae 2.5 and use the adf's there. http://www.winuae.net/
You only need the A1200 kickstart 3.1 (rom file in Amiga forever), that someone can give you, as you are already using 3.1 kickstarts, it belongs to you. Edit: You have a PM.

Last edited by Retrofan; 14 December 2012 at 18:48.
Old 14 December 2012, 19:17   #39
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Sorry fitzsteve, but he has the floppy as you know out of order, so I will ask for him: How are "they" going to use an adf without a floppy drive?

There are ways, but the easy answer is: forget about the Amiga. Install Winuae 2.5 and use the adf's there.
@retro
Yep. I agree. looks like if we really want to learn about the amiga, there really is no running away from UAE.

Would still be happy to learn a possible way around it though.

Thanks for the support
Old 14 December 2012, 19:38   #40
jPV

Quote:
Would still be happy to learn a possible way around it though.
You can use those ADFs on real Amiga without disk drive if you write them to rad: disk. You have to get some adf writing software too though.

But if you can get adfs and software to handle them to that CF card... you could do for example like this.

Get TransADF from Aminet and unarchive it. Copy transadf commad to CF as well as lets say install31.adf (or however your adfs are named).

Then on Amiga, open shell and type:

mount rad:
CF0:transadf DRIVE=RAD: FILE=CF0:install31.adf WRITE

Then WB install disk should appear on desktop and you can run the installer from it. Keep the shell window open and when it asks to insert another disk, then just run that transadf line again with corresponding name for adf file.

When the installation is finished, type "remrad force" in shell and reboot your amiga.

You could also use some virtual floppy software to have all needed disks mounted at once from HD, but I think rad: solution is easier as it's provided by default in OS.
AdSense AdSense