English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 January 2013, 03:21   #141
fishyfish
Banned

Interesting to see how this panned out. Im sure everyone who reads it will think the order isnt how they'd put it, but one thing that stands out to me at least, is just how many good games there are on the amiga.

It's funny. After buying an a1200 again a few years back I found myself a little disappointed how badly most amiga games seemed to have aged. Reading this list now I suspect I was mostly checking out games Id not played much, if at all before. I'd even go so far as to say I'd convinced myself of the lack of quality in amiga games since then, but reading this list (and knowing there's plenty of other worthy games) I now realise my perception was probably skewed because of the games I was playing.

Anyway, thanks. Was kinda fun reading.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 March 2013, 11:27   #142
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
No worries Rob, I think if we waited for me to post a finished article we'd be waiting a long time anyway. Here, then, is the official list:

1. Speedball 2
2. Cannon Fodder
3. Turrican 2
4. Sensible World Of Soccer
5. Lemmings
6. Frontier
7. The Secret Of Monkey Island
8. The Settlers
9. The Chaos Engine
10. Slam Tilt

Worst game ever: Dragon's Lair (only got three votes though - there were a whole host of games with one and two votes).

As for getting other people to write about some of the games - watch this space, I may well go down that road.
Hi Graham,

I can't help but feel we should have done more with this?

Such potential....

Rob
Old 21 March 2013, 15:16   #143
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat Rob 1 View Post
Hi Graham,

I can't help but feel we should have done more with this?

Such potential....

Rob
Perhaps a few of us can chip in for the 2013 lowdown?
Old 21 March 2013, 20:19   #144
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Yes, this did get lost a bit amongst all my other stuff. I've been busy writing my usual stack of reviews for Amiga Future and trying to find time to write my new game as well so this has been a bit of a low priority. You are right though, it is a bit of a missed opportunity but I am glad you bumped it as it gives me an excuse to go through a couple of ideas I have been thinking about.

Firstly, I'll definitely run another vote later this year. I'd like to make this an annual thing and as Robert says above, if I plan it well enough then we can allocate games to people who want to write about them and get this thing done. To be honest I should have done it like that from day one and we might have got somewhere then - it was too much to do on my own, even more so when you consider I haven't played every game and there are also plenty I don't actually like, being the grumpy git I am. It's a little late for the 2012 chart but will definitely do this for the 2013 version.

Secondly, maybe just as a dry run, would anyone think a similar vote for PD games is a good idea? I think it could be more interesting as I am certain there are loads of hidden gems out there few have played and it could be fun to write about. The big caveat is if we can get enough people to vote and enough different games to vote for - it might need to be a top 50 rather than 100 but we could use that as a practice for the main list later this year. What do you think?
Old 21 March 2013, 22:08   #145
amigapd

I would love a Pd verision - but the problem with PD is that the games are not as well known as the commercial games for many reasons and therefore you are right to worry about the number of games nominated-

Perhaps it could be focussed on genres e.g. best pd platform game and get EAB members to post vidoes / screenshots of games for a month in the tread with links to where the game can be downloaded so people can play them and then vote at the end of month 2. Perhaps there could be a challenge with each game nominated e,g, quickest completion - highest score - to make it more interactive.

Just some mad ramblings but overall think it is a good idea.
Old 21 March 2013, 22:44   #146
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

I like it, all sounds good stuff to me.

You could ask people if they want to change their vote they can or if they don't wish to just use last years . as I'll bet 90% will just keep the same and it would be a shame to throw all of last years votes away and start a fresh. Of course you'll get loads more votes from those who missed it last time or are new to here.

I still like the idea of a live league where we can all vote for our top ten and we could change our selection when ever we liked. This could also appear on our profile page so people could see what games we are into. When new members join they can be asked what there top ten is.

We could do the same with pd games too, I think asking for someone's top 5 would be enough here though.?
Old 22 March 2013, 12:11   #147
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Thanks for the input chaps.

Regarding the next Top 100, I will just start from scratch and ask everybody to vote again. You are right that the majority probably won't change it but a few might do (people are always discovering games new to them or their tastes might alter slightly) and of course we will have a whole bunch of new members and those who missed the original vote for whatever reason. I think the easiest way is just to get everybody to vote the same way they did before (even if it ends up being a copy and paste job). Inevitably some who voted last year won't vote this year and we could end up with quite a different list which could be interesting.

I'm still thinking about the PD list. Maybe voting for five rather than ten would be a good idea but I'd still be concerned we wouldn't get a great variety of games voted for. I think doing it by genre would make things a bit more complicated, if I do it I'd rather do it as one big list.
Old 22 March 2013, 12:20   #148
amigapd

Quote:
I think doing it by genre would make things a bit more complicated, if I do it I'd rather do it as one big list.
Perhaps we could PM and agree a top 100 list then put it up for members to suggest any additions or withdrawals and then just do it as simple vote from that list. Once you start looking at the games it is quite easy to hit 100 if we blur PD to include shareware and licenceware from PD libraries.
Old 22 March 2013, 12:25   #149
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Yeah I was planning to include shareware, licenceware and also magazine coverdisk games. Actually I started writing my own top 100 list over a year ago, I wrote exactly half the entries although apart from the top five I didn't really have an order. That might be something I could finish off sometime - there's certainly quite a lot of games I could include.
Old 06 April 2013, 17:42   #150
Hillsy_

Civilization should have been in the list without a doubt. Easily top 10 material. Where the hell is Dungeon Master?? and why is Captive only Number 85!

bastards! I think a re-count is in order. Everyone vote again
Old 07 April 2013, 12:37   #151
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Wait until later in the year and we can all do it again

I must admit I was surprised to see certain games missing from the list, including the ones you mentioned even though they're not necessarily my cup of tea. I think the majority of the top end of the list is more or less what most people would expect otherwise though. It'll be interesting to see what happens when we run this again.
Old 07 April 2013, 16:13   #152
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy_ View Post
and why is Captive only Number 85!
Yeah, it easily qualifies for much higher number
Old 07 April 2013, 20:35   #153
Hillsy_

Quote:
Wait until later in the year and we can all do it again

I must admit I was surprised to see certain games missing from the list, including the ones you mentioned even though they're not necessarily my cup of tea. I think the majority of the top end of the list is more or less what most people would expect otherwise though. It'll be interesting to see what happens when we run this again.
I kinda missed the vote Probably drunk or something Maybe make it a top 20, as top 10 is really difficult...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Yeah, it easily qualifies for much higher number
Why you cheeky £$%£%£%^ There is even an ED-209 in the game!

'Cyberdruid, You are illegally parked on the Amiga Board. You have 20 seconds to change your mind about Captive.'

3...2...1... Super Boosters..Rapid Fire...

Last edited by Hillsy_; 07 April 2013 at 20:56.
Old 07 April 2013, 21:54   #154
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!
Great list there Graham. Every game in the top 10 deserves to be there, but yes, was shocked that Civvy & Dungeon Master didnt make it anywhere on the list. Perhaps they were too well known for their own good? As for game summaries, Amibay has a retro review section if you want to take a look for some ideas.
Old 08 April 2013, 11:44   #155
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy_ View Post
Why you cheeky £$%£%£%^ There is even an ED-209 in the game!

'Cyberdruid, You are illegally parked on the Amiga Board. You have 20 seconds to change your mind about Captive.'

3...2...1... Super Boosters..Rapid Fire...
I've been known for my non-understanding of the Captive praise Zetro and Bippy can tell you about it Let's say that it's a game that not everybody likes, but those who do really appreciate it
Old 13 October 2013, 13:14   #156
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Cheeky little bump...

Would anyone be interested in a 2013 list? It has been a year and a load of new members, plus potentially a change in the personal top tens of others could lead to interesting comparisons to last year's. Also if anyone would be interested in writing a bit about each game when the list is compiled we can actually do a proper Amiga Power-style article this time, if we are organised enough.

What do people think?
Old 13 October 2013, 17:52   #157
wanderer
I want an A1000

Sounds great.
Old 13 October 2013, 21:17   #158
Marcuz
Wurk???

Sure:
01. Lotus Turbo Challenge
02. Elvira 1
03. Xenon 2
04. Utopia
05. Perihelion
06. Parasol Star
07. Eye of the Beholder
08. Horror Zombies From The Crypt
09. Moonstone
10. Prince of Persia

Oh.
I copy pasted it from last year' one.
By mistake.
Old 13 October 2013, 21:20   #159
Zak
Zap“em

I am interested in a new list
Old 13 October 2013, 23:13   #160
leathered

And me, I always seem to miss these things!
AdSense AdSense