English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 October 2012, 18:43   #101
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vollldo View Post
The swirl technic is perfect with a competition pro joystick. I finished it plenty of times in several levels of difficulty. Those who can't play it correctly with a stick like the competition pro should stop playing shoot'em ups !!! More over i would add that the swirl technic is giving a feeling of perfect brutality, really in the state of mind of this wonderfull shooter. When all seems lost, surrounded of bullets or if you are in a middle of a zone with tons of destructible stuffs, WHAT A PLEASURE to launch a bomb in a brutal circle . Of course with a joypad it is really difficult, that's why a joystick is highly advised !
I have not tried it with a comp pro, but it's a real ballache to get reliable novas with a zipstik.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 November 2012, 11:57   #102
Vollldo

Quote:
The swirl technic is perfect with a competition pro joystick. I finished it plenty of times in several levels of difficulty. Those who can't play it correctly with a stick like the competition pro should stop playing shoot'em ups !!! More over i would add that the swirl technic is giving a feeling of perfect brutality, really in the state of mind of this wonderfull shooter. When all seems lost, surrounded of bullets or if you are in a middle of a zone with tons of destructible stuffs, WHAT A PLEASURE to launch a bomb in a brutal circle . Of course with a joypad it is really difficult, that's why a joystick is highly advised !
Fantastic Vollldo

It is simply the BEST descriptions af releasing the Nova Missile (Smart Bomb) that I have ever heard.

Quote:
...the swirl technic is giving a feeling of perfect brutality, really in the state of mind of this wonderfull shooter.
And remember to press and hold the fire button and then swirl the joystick in a circle

Ah ah ah yes, to push the button is needed otherwise you will swirl until becoming dizzy and collapse on the ground looool.

My pleasure mister really. It was very nice to find these few words to describe the nova bomb feeling .

I suppose that the professionnal of Zangief in Street fighter 2 don't have any problem to do it with a joypad, but except these exceptions, a good joystick is simply perfect for this.

Quote:
I have not tried it with a comp pro, but it's a real ballache to get reliable novas with a zipstik.

If you are talking about the one in attachment, well it was my joystick during my amiga days and in my opinion the best ever made, so maybe this one is not the good choice for your sensibility. We are all different, i have a friend who plays really well at Kick off 2 with my Quickshot, and it is completely IMPOSSIBLE for me !

And... Nice choice of picture Torben !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	838415-zipstick_large.jpg
Views:	21763
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	33055   Click image for larger version

Name:	QuickShot_tecToy_resize.jpg
Views:	7229
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	33056  

Last edited by Vollldo; 01 November 2012 at 12:32.

Old 01 December 2012, 00:37   #103
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vollldo View Post

Ah ah ah yes, to push the button is needed otherwise you will swirl until becoming dizzy and collapse on the ground looool.

My pleasure mister really. It was very nice to find these few words to describe the nova bomb feeling .

I suppose that the professionnal of Zangief in Street fighter 2 don't have any problem to do it with a joypad, but except these exceptions, a good joystick is simply perfect for this.

If you are talking about the one in attachment, well it was my joystick during my amiga days and in my opinion the best ever made, so maybe this one is not the good choice for your sensibility. We are all different, i have a friend who plays really well at Kick off 2 with my Quickshot, and it is completely IMPOSSIBLE for me !

And... Nice choice of picture Torben !
Yes, that is my Zipstik. I adore the thing. With all the suckers removed they make a great hand held stick, and almost indistructable to boot. I spent a while last year cornering the market on ebay, buying up quite a few for spares.

Anyway, I thought I'd update the thread on my pains at getting the second button to launch the Nova missile.

Thanks to Oge, I acquired a megadrive to amiga converter, but unfortunately all button C did was quit the game. So I tried the 1.7b slave which made the second button do nothing.

After reading a post elsewhere on how different kickstart versions read the joystick, I just gave my A600 a try. The C button works for the nova everytime! No adapter or beta slave needed.

So in conclusion the problem seems to be with Kickstart 3, as Kickstart 2 has no problem with MD pad and WHDload.

Hope this helps someone. Now I can get back to some Battle Squadron.
Old 01 December 2012, 11:43   #104
Oldskool Bitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebRG View Post
I do like SWIV, it was always one of my favourite Amiga shmups, but playing it recently for a RG feature I thought it was a bit bland in parts compared to say Battle Squadron or Apidya, with some very large, barren stretches of the maps, which even the developer's admitted were a bit too empty in hindsight (though to be fair the graphic detail as well as many other techinal aspects of the game are very good indeed). Also I admit I was playing it in one player mode, and the game's at its best with two players.

You can read the SWIV feature here - Making of Swiv - some very interesting snippets on how the sprite system and in-game loading worked (the game basically loaded the level maps as you played, which allowed for such enormous levels).
Thanks for the SWIV feature! Great read.
Old 02 December 2012, 16:50   #105
s2325
Zone Friend

Played today, really close to original You can use hardware buttons but touch buttons are still visible for some reason... Nice thing is Jukebox. Game have little intro animation before game - original intro was removed. One annoying thing is 'achievement' message which obscure playfield. I found also game titled Hybris but it's not related to Amiga.
Old 28 December 2012, 23:38   #106
s2325
Zone Friend

How about C64 version? [ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 January 2013, 04:43   #107
TorbenLarsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
How about C64 version? [ Show youtube player ]
Great tune and fine picture

Well why not a C64 version. Anyone?

For those who are interested Tiger Mission for the C64 is sort of a secret prelude to Hybris

http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http...hp%3FID%3D2652

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by TorbenLarsen; 12 January 2013 at 04:49.
Old 07 March 2013, 11:40   #108
s2325
Zone Friend

Hybris music on Atari ST (game was never released) [ Show youtube player ]
AdSense AdSense