English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 September 2012, 14:06   #41
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
I liked Xenon II much more, or even Project X, R-Type II, Obliterator, or the horribly unfair Disposable Hero and Starush.
Obliterator? do you mean Oblivion ?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 September 2012, 14:49   #42
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
I liked Xenon II much more
The Bitmap Brothers' finest hour. I really liked the way you could see all your upgrades. It felt so good to finally get everything at once, so your ship was like half the width of the screen. Although I'd have preferred more variety in the music. It was one of the common failings of Amiga games, to have a single piece of music playing all the way through. However impressive the mod, it gets boring very quickly. At least you got sound effects at the same time.

Sorry, I think I just accidentally criticised Battle Squadron there as well.

Also the Bitmap Brothers never seemed to bother with hardware sprites (either that or they always used the same palette for the sprites as for the backgrounds, for some reason) and the frame rates were never that smooth. You can actually see on the Youtube longplay that it must be less than 25fps. Still a good game despite all this.
Old 20 September 2012, 15:23   #43
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Also the Bitmap Brothers never seemed to bother with hardware sprites (either that or they always used the same palette for the sprites as for the backgrounds, for some reason)
Bitmap always wanted both Amiga and ST markets to maximize sales. Thats why they always made the game design trying to do not provoke that ST version suffers significative losing specs.

Same goes for Graftgold at their firsts 16 bit games.. just look at Paradroid90.. scrolls just vertically.. but not horizontally, why? because ST manages it better.

sorry if my english is a bit rare =|
Old 20 September 2012, 16:32   #44
TorbenLarsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasEZT View Post
Bitmap always wanted both Amiga and ST markets to maximize sales. Thats why they always made the game design trying to do not provoke that ST version suffers significative losing specs.

Same goes for Graftgold at their firsts 16 bit games.. just look at Paradroid90.. scrolls just vertically.. but not horizontally, why? because ST manages it better.

sorry if my english is a bit rare =|
Clearly the Amiga was almost lightyears ahead of Atari on sprites and blitter and the result shows

No noicy fan here, huh ?

Old 20 September 2012, 17:33   #45
Marcuz
Wurk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasEZT View Post
Obliterator? do you mean Oblivion ?
Argh! thank you, I said a thing for another, no, I meant Cybernoid II...
Old 20 September 2012, 17:37   #46
mikebRG

So that's what Fat Agnus looked like

An interesting sidenote - Battle Squadron, Hybris and also Banshee came from Danish programmers, so you could actually and truthfully say Denmark was the world's greatest producer of quality Amiga shmups!

Don't know if you saw the article Torben - when I spoke to Søren Hannibal about Banshee he told me that he loved Battle Squadron, and that it was one of the shooters that most inspired him on that game (the others being SWIV & of course 1942).

Good taste that man!

Last edited by mikebRG; 20 September 2012 at 17:42.

Old 21 September 2012, 06:05   #47
freehand

Not really read all the thread but I will say at the age of 48 I had a friend round a few weeks back and put battle squadron on nice and LOUD and danced around the room like I used to

I thought it was awesome back in the day.
Old 21 September 2012, 09:15   #48
TorbenLarsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebRG View Post
So that's what Fat Agnus looked like

An interesting sidenote - Battle Squadron, Hybris and also Banshee came from Danish programmers, so you could actually and truthfully say Denmark was the world's greatest producer of quality Amiga shmups!

Don't know if you saw the article Torben - when I spoke to Søren Hannibal about Banshee he told me that he loved Battle Squadron, and that it was one of the shooters that most inspired him on that game (the others being SWIV & of course 1942).

Good taste that man!
Didn't see the article. Yep, great to see Denmark firmly on the Amiga shmup map. If that shooter had been made on an Amiga 500 and some years earlier, it perhaps could have made a much bigger impact. A really nice Amiga 1200 looking shooter with long levels and ofcourse from Denmark.

Old 22 September 2012, 20:17   #49
TorbenLarsen

SILVER AWARD to the best Amiga shooter, that ever was !!

Hi all Amiga fans out there,

The best Amiga shooter just got a "SILVER AWARD", as a top XPERIA PLAY-android shooter.

Imagine this, more than 20 years after its initial release it gets a SILVER AWARD from the famed reviewer Pocket Gamer. INCREDIBLE!!

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Xperi...ew.asp?c=45027

Last edited by TorbenLarsen; 22 September 2012 at 21:40.
Old 22 September 2012, 20:27   #50
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Bottle Squid Run will get gold
Old 22 September 2012, 20:54   #51
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Did we really need yet another thread on this?
Old 22 September 2012, 20:59   #52
TorbenLarsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Did we really need yet another thread on this?
Yet another??? It has just came in and I do think it serves the Amiga community well. This game was released more than 20 years ago and now it gets a SILVER REWARD from a top dog gamer mag like Pocket Gamer. That sure looks like a treat for all...
Old 22 September 2012, 21:13   #53
TCD

You sure do come across like just advertising your game here. I guess that's what Graham was hinting at.
Old 22 September 2012, 21:20   #54
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

I don't want to seem rude or anything, but you could have just posted it in this thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65844 and we'd all still have seen it.
Old 22 September 2012, 21:41   #55
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Newsflash from New Zealand!

Bottle Squid Run (preview version) just received an incredible 7 milk bottle rating (out of a possible 7!) from the highly acclaimed publication "The Dairy Farmer Insider". This kind of mark is unprecedented for a preview from this veteran publication with their quirky ratings system. More details to follow but they say the full game is expected next month!

Grab some toe pegs everyone, this shooter will apparently blow your socks off!
Old 22 September 2012, 21:43   #56
DH
Global Moderator

I know it's nice to shout out about these achievements, but having a different thread for every announcement is becoming a tad too much. Most members, if not all, try to keep related stuff in the same threads. It makes it much easier for everyone including you too TorbenLarsen
Old 22 September 2012, 21:52   #57
TorbenLarsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
I know it's nice to shout out about these achievements, but having a different thread for every announcement is becoming a tad too much. Most members, if not all, try to keep related stuff in the same threads. It makes it much easier for everyone including you too TorbenLarsen
Recieving a SILVER AWARD after 20 years for an Amiga game, on todays smartphones could significate a true Amiga Gem? Is that not noteworthy to Amiga users on this thread?

How many past Amiga games has TODAY gotten this type of recognition.. name one??
Old 22 September 2012, 22:03   #58
TCD

As you've said this is an Amiga board and that article you posted is quite obviously for cellphone gaming. You're bluntly advertising your game for this platform to make money and your apparentely not interested in the purpose of this very board at all. One thread for this should be more than enough and since this is strictly about your cellphone versions it's maybe better suited in the OT gaming section of this forum.
Old 22 September 2012, 22:06   #59
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorbenLarsen View Post
How many past Amiga games has TODAY gotten this type of recognition.. name one??
Babylonian Twins :
http://babyloniantwins.com/

http://babyloniantwins.com/background/

You probably have some well-received iterations of Worms, Lemmings and such on smartphones I guess.
Old 22 September 2012, 22:12   #60
Akira

I am quite tired of the BS advertisement as well. you do it too in other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Bottle Squid Run will get gold
I want this game, NOW. Most anticipated game of 2012!!!
AdSense AdSense