English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 November 2012, 11:41   #81
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
That Backbone tutorial is great news.
Indeed. I don't know if I was doing something wrong, but I installed Backbone, got it updated to the latest version, and installed the key.

I then rummaged through the files for some decent documentation, but I'll be darned if I could find anything.

Some decent documentation/a tutorial would be fantastic, as I'm looking forward to putting something together with this.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 November 2012, 11:54   #82
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Yep, using Backbone, because Rebel and I are writing a tutorial on Backbone and needed to make an example game to go with it. All the graphics are by him so far, I'm just working on level design on this one at the moment.
Hi

I have the idea to create game-development environments with and in Hollywood. Example could be games like ZacMcKracken or JumpAndRuns. What do you think?
Old 12 November 2012, 12:16   #83
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Hi

I have the idea to create game-development environments with and in Hollywood. Example could be games like ZacMcKracken or JumpAndRuns. What do you think?
That's a great idea. It's a shame that Hollywood is no longer available or supported.
Old 12 November 2012, 12:19   #84
OlafSch

Quote:
That's a great idea. It's a shame that Hollywood is no longer available or supported.
+1

Yes it is...

And that nobody seems to use it really. Some multimedia tools are created with it (i am aware of 2) but (more or less) no games even though it should be capable of (from what I have seen on the demos).

And it perfectly works on my distribution :-)
Old 12 November 2012, 12:25   #85
Cammy

Unfortunately Hollywood was recently abandoned on the Amiga, you can't buy it anymore unless you buy a second hand copy.
Old 12 November 2012, 12:31   #86
Akira

I got to say those graphics look fantastic and the game design too. You guys have skills and should keep up the great work.
No comments on backbone though ;D
Old 12 November 2012, 12:42   #87
OlafSch

Quote:
Unfortunately Hollywood was recently abandoned on the Amiga, you can't buy it anymore unless you buy a second hand copy.
That is not a problem for me because I own Hollywood 5 for Amiga and for Windows...
Old 12 November 2012, 23:21   #90
rockersuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
Indeed. I don't know if I was doing something wrong, but I installed Backbone, got it updated to the latest version, and installed the key.

I then rummaged through the files for some decent documentation, but I'll be darned if I could find anything.

Some decent documentation/a tutorial would be fantastic, as I'm looking forward to putting something together with this.
The included "Backbone.guide" file (it's present in my setup, version 2.10) should be enough to start toying with the accompanying demos, at least it did the job for me! Take a look at it for some quick start. I also hope this new tutorial will encourage potential amiga authors to start projects with it. Backbone is just plain perfect for platform games and even some action stuff.
Old 12 November 2012, 23:33   #91
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

I've just had a quick 5 minute go on this, and I must say that already it's a lovely little game. Well done.

@rockersuke - I'll have another rummage for the guide and if I can find it, will have another go. Cammy's efforts here have given me a very good nudge to get off my backside.
Old 13 November 2012, 00:06   #92
rockersuke

Quote:
@rockersuke - I'll have another rummage for the guide and if I can find it, will have another go. Cammy's efforts here have given me a very good nudge to get off my backside.
Zoned! Just in case it's missing in your copy.
Old 13 November 2012, 01:19   #93
amigapd

Quote:
I'm looking forward to putting something together with this.
What project would you like to create in either Backbone or Amos?
Old 13 November 2012, 01:26   #94
Cammy

amigapd, hi, I've always had the feeling you ignore me on purpose. Can you tell me why?
Old 13 November 2012, 01:51   #95
amigapd

Not all - Love the game - just had a quick play on it look forward to the finished game -

I am interested in what Robert may have planned as I am thinking about what game I would like to make next after my Danagermouse text adventure - would love to do an update of some of the BBC Micro arcade adventure / platform games but would need some help with graphics as I release how time consuming game projects are, even simple text ones, let alone ones requiring sprites and background graphics.
Old 13 November 2012, 02:19   #96
Cammy

No worries, I was just curious and I wasn't sure if I had said something to offend you.
Old 13 November 2012, 02:54   #97
amigapd

Apologies if you have posted this elsewhere but did your other Backbone game Halloween Nightmare ever get finished or has this project been put on hold? I saw a recent video of it by S2325 and it looked very good.

I also saw an interview you did where you mentioned working with SamuraiCrow on a text adventure game. Did this get completed or is it still ongoing?
Old 13 November 2012, 09:43   #98
frikilokooo

Rebel making graphics + Cammy desining game + Mrs.Beanbag coding = great new games.Anyone else think this?
Old 13 November 2012, 10:50   #99
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigapd View Post
I am interested in what Robert may have planned as I am thinking about what game I would like to make next after my Danagermouse text adventure - would love to do an update of some of the BBC Micro arcade adventure / platform games but would need some help with graphics as I release how time consuming game projects are, even simple text ones, let alone ones requiring sprites and background graphics.
I'd like to create an Amiga platform game. Something similar in style to [ Show youtube player ] would be nice, but I'm also interested in porting recent Spectrum creations Kid Cadet and Kid Cadet 2 over to the Amiga.

The latter two titles are flip screen. I'm not sure if Backbone supports that, so they'd have to be scrollers.

I'd certainly be interested in being part of a project, but feel that at present both my AMOS and Backbone skills are sadly lacking. I'm hoping that I can use some of the forthcoming Christmas break to improve.
Old 13 November 2012, 13:35   #100
spud

The Kyd Cadet games are great on the Speccy with good design and great presentation. I suspect porting them would be a good excercise in learning AMOS or even learning assembler if you were that way inclined. Flip screen stuff is the sort of thing I'll be looking to do once I've finished my current Amiga (see sig) and SAM Coupé projects.
AdSense AdSense