English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 21 September 2002, 13:57   #1
mtb

Disk2fdi

Yesterday i installed a 2nd 3,5" 1.44 Mb drive on my pc ( i've found it for free ).
After finding a cable to connect to the alimentation ( 11 shops visited... ) i have installed it & modified the bios.

Because i run Xperience, i made a boot Millennium disk ( maybe the problem it's here ), and i launched disk2fdi with the command:

Disk2fdi /s b: superfrog

where b: it's the source drive and superfrog the destination ( the 2nd used drive works better than the new one )
( i have also cleaned the header with the apposite disk )

So it started to read the disk, and for the first track all ok, recognized as Amiga standard tracks, then the tracks become non standard.

I have tried with several disk ( some on them wrote even 1 month ago with new disks ) but none was ok.

If someone has ever tried or will try disk2fdi please let me know with what results.

Thanx in advance.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 September 2002, 14:09   #2
mtb

I know, i can't copy them even with an Amiga copier, they were already copied software or docs and so on.
Old 23 September 2002, 01:47   #3
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I've had pretty good luck with disk2fdi myself, though it won't be able to copy any number of disks that are copy protected, as has already been mentioned. I'd suggest that as a first step, you attempt to use it to create a copy of a simple Workbench disk, and if that works, then you know that the combination of the variant of Windows and your hardware isn't the problem. After that, then it's just a matter of figuring out which of your originals are actually copyable with disk2fdi. Good luck!
Old 24 September 2002, 21:43   #4
mtb

The various wkbenchs ( 1 month of life, not the originals ) were the first disk i have tried.
Also often it doesn't recognize that is an Amiga formatted disk, so it stops at the beginning.

I have tried moreless 50 disks... . And ZERO ok!
Old 24 September 2002, 23:55   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Is it possible that one of your diskdrives is out of alignment?
Old 25 September 2002, 06:56   #6
Chuckles
The Ancient One

One other thing that I might suggest (and which you may well have already tried) would be to first double check the BIOS settings to make sure that both floppy drives are properly specified as 3.5" HD drives, and to then verify that you can format, write and read to and from both drives under Windows. If you can do all of that, then the hardware configuration shouldn't be an issue at all. In that case, the only other thing I can think of is that perhaps disk2fdi might not function properly under Millennium. Since I'm still running Windows 98, I have no idea whether or not that might be the case.
Old 28 September 2002, 13:36   #7
mtb

After hand-cleaning the floppy disk drives, it works much better.

But i think an useful feature could be added: a log file in which store the tracks not recognized as standard, and after a retry option that try to re-read only these tracks ( this way i have saved a lot of apparently heavy damaged disks with xcopy, writing a map of non ok tracks and retriying, sometimes even 20 times ).

I have readed that double density floppy are more durable when storing 880 kb disk. Is it true?
And also is it true that closing with scotch the hole present in hd disk the problem is solved?
Old 01 October 2002, 15:38   #8
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

I have taken the plunge and tried DISK2FDI.

Initial impressions, bloody brilliant.

I am using it on a 486DX66, and the result is an ADF on the HDD, much better than trying to compress the results to PKZIP on the amiga and struggling to put some images on 1 disk via 720K PC disks back to the PC, the 486 has a 10mbit ethernet to my main PC Via Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, since the dongle for the PCMCIA 10mbit on the A1200 has decided not to work.

Whats being backed up ????, not my originals yet, my "BACKUP" collection
AdSense AdSense