English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 March 2015, 04:30   #1481
TjLaZer

I am getting a blue one and a transparent one!!

Last edited by TjLaZer; 20 March 2015 at 07:43.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 March 2015, 11:21   #1482
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
shoenfeld, I'd message you if I could as I work for someone who might be able to help getting drivers in windows... failing that, publish a non signed driver with instructions on how to install them.
We've compiled the old Catweasel driver with the 64-bit DDK, and even had help from companies with full Microsoft support. None of them was able to get rid of all the compiler errors, they all concluded that the DDK has errors.

I therefore decided to discontinue the Catweasel MK4 series in order to limit my losses on software development. I will not fall into the same trap again - thanks for your offer, but the risk of Microsoft or Apple pulling away the foundation for my business case is too big. I'll go OS-independent.

Jens
Old 05 March 2015, 15:25   #1483
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Would crowdfunding be a solution then?
As Jens said, crowdfunding is not legal in Europe.. Basically if someone pays you, you have to ship asap. :-)

Alternately Jens would have to set up a company in another country where crowdfunding can happen and then transfer the money over. :-)

Last edited by Jope; 05 March 2015 at 15:30.
Old 14 March 2015, 14:43   #1484
Hanzu

Send a message via MSN to Hanzu Send a message via Skype™ to Hanzu
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Very cool, just a bad choice of colors imo.. Original beige or black would be nice. Even if find my whitest keyboard, it will look horribly yellowed when put into a bright white case. If only he'd have also found the moulds for the keycaps.
Now there is an option for beige and transparent cases too.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ing-in-new-coo

The creator also comments black color.

I suspect keys caps were not made just for some Commodore product. I once found exact match for Amiga key caps from old Keytronic keyboard. Designing Commodore-only key caps does not sound like Commodore which usually tried to make everything in the cheapest possible way. Ofcourse key cap prints had to be Commodore only, but they were maybe done in whole another place.

Last edited by Hanzu; 14 March 2015 at 14:49.
Old 14 March 2015, 19:26   #1485
spudje

If only someone found the molds for A500, A600 and A1200. I would like a transparent A1200

I'm a bit surprised about the crowdfunding not being legal in Europe. I know there's at least one Dutch platform and kickstarter also accepts Dutch projects.
Old 14 March 2015, 22:30   #1486
lurch

Okay someone has to make a clear case for the A500/A1200. But what would be nice is holes cut for a Gotek USB drive and VGA/DVI for the Indivision :-)
Old 14 March 2015, 22:39   #1487
lurch

A dual purpose case could possibly be made for the A500/A1200 that would save on costs?

Someone needs to do this, I'd back it :-)
Old 19 March 2015, 18:54   #1488
spudje

Mmm, I thought, why not revive my old A500 with things like an ACA-500. But they're sold out everywhere.

Jens, can we expect a new batch of them?
Old 19 March 2015, 19:00   #1489
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Mmm, I thought, why not revive my old A500 with things like an ACA-500. But they're sold out everywhere.

Jens, can we expect a new batch of them?
I just recently bought one too and it appears right after that they were sold out everywhere. I looked for another one for my other A500 because I like it so much. I was told by one of the retailers, might have been amigakit that they were expecting another production run soon. So I hope they are making more as it is a fantastic expansion. Wish it had a simple enclosure, though instead of the large one that accommodates an A1200 accelerator as I don't plan on using that part of it.
Old 19 March 2015, 20:36   #1490
Schoenfeld
electricky.

The bad news is that the ACA500 won't be made in that form any more.

The good news is that the new version of the ACA500 will add some features, such as "full switch-off and downgrade to 7MHz" and "exact speed emulation of ranger-mem" for highest compatibility. I'll overhaul the memory design, add some flash, improve CF card speed, improve CF card compatibility (hot plug on the aux port!), and all this while maintaining compatibility with existing case designs.

A few American guys collected money and sent me an NTSC Rev.5 A500 board, which does not work with the current ACA500. I hope I can tackle that problem as well with the new design. Never took the time to send a "thanks" to those guys. Shame on me...

Jens
Old 19 March 2015, 22:46   #1491
spudje

Wow, that sounds awesome!!

While you're at it, please also add a freezer (action replay etc.) option too, like the zeus68k announced to include. Any timelines when this new version will be available? If only you had them for sale at Amiga30.eu

And same requirements? No rev .3 mainboard support?
Old 19 March 2015, 23:48   #1492
dJOS

New products for C64 and Amiga from Individual Computers

Will it have 4mb ram standard? If it does I'll finally buy one!

Oh it would be great if it would play nice with other fast ram expansions like kipper's internal 4 mb unit too?
Old 20 March 2015, 00:07   #1493
spudje

Yeah, I have a rev 5 and not a rev 3 mainboard
Old 20 March 2015, 02:18   #1494
amigoun

Hopefully it will have NMI button and if also built-in AR or HRT I would definitely buy even this new one.
Old 20 March 2015, 15:27   #1495
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
While you're at it, please also add a freezer (action replay etc.) option too,
I'm already in contact with the original author of AR3. He's totally out of the Amiga world, so I can't make any promises. The good news is that I found him, and that I have reserved some space in the logic - along with a button for the "freeze" action.

Quote:
Any timelines when this new version will be available?
No timeline, sorry. Retro projects always have to stand back after contract work.

Quote:
And same requirements? No rev .3 mainboard support?
I'll see what I can do, but no promises at this point. Rev.3 is a horrible revision if it comes to ground noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
Will it have 4mb ram standard?
No, it won't.

Quote:
Oh it would be great if it would play nice with other fast ram expansions like kipper's internal 4 mb unit too?
No promises, just like with the old ACA500: The target system is an un-expanded A500. CPU socket MUST be empty (i.e. only the 68000 CPU in there, no expansion), and the only thing it'll be guaranteed to work with is trapdoor memory expansions.

Jens
Old 20 March 2015, 16:35   #1496
spudje

Thanks for all the feedback, all the best getting this thing ready!
Old 21 March 2015, 00:25   #1497
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post

No promises, just like with the old ACA500: The target system is an un-expanded A500. CPU socket MUST be empty (i.e. only the 68000 CPU in there, no expansion), and the only thing it'll be guaranteed to work with is trapdoor memory expansions.

Jens

Will it physically have 4 mb (or more) that is unlockable via your new upgrade process?

If not it would be nice if you could test against Kipper's 4 mb expansion as it's very cheap and would be great for those of us not able to afford an aca12xx to go with it.

In my case i already have two of these in my a500's and would love to have an aca500 to share between them.
Old 21 March 2015, 10:06   #1498
adrianh78

@Jens - just wanted to say, thanks for continuing to make cool new stuff for classic Amiga - it cannot be easy given age of hardware, and relatively small user base so I feel incredibly grateful

Thanks
Old 21 March 2015, 18:57   #1499
Nostromo

I saw the brand new cases for C64 kickstarter. Very nice but what about the keyboard? If you put an old yellowed keyboard in there it would look nasty!
Old 21 March 2015, 20:01   #1500
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Will it physically have 4 mb (or more) that is unlockable via your new upgrade process?
The new ACA500 will not use this unlocking method.

Quote:
If not it would be nice if you could test against Kipper's 4 mb expansion as it's very cheap and would be great for those of us not able to afford an aca12xx to go with it.
That's just one out of myriads of expansions that I'd have to test against. The answer is "no" - I won't guarantee function with any other device than trapdoor memory expansions. The ACA500 is a really cheap expansion that is only possible, because the host computer is something that doesn't vary too much. All the different revisions already pose a pile of problems, and I don't want to increase the amount of testing, and hence the amount of support that I'll have to provide with my product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianh78 View Post
@Jens - just wanted to say, thanks for continuing to make cool new stuff for classic Amiga - it cannot be easy given age of hardware, and relatively small user base
I learn a lot from making new designs for old computers, and this has already brought in some very interesting contract work. It doesn't have to be easy - it's fun, and I make sure that it stays fun by ironing out things that will break the fun.

The A500 does not follow any standard. There is no reference document that says "build your expansion this way, and two of them will work". It's easy to completely stop my company's operations if I'd promise compatibility under such circumstances - I'd have hundreds of customers pestering my inbox, and I could decide how I let my company die: Either by answering all those support cases and not developing new stuff, not shipping any parcels, or by not answering those support cases and get lots of negative feedback.

I choose none of the above. If you want to deviate from the recommended configuration, you're on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
I saw the brand new cases for C64 kickstarter. Very nice but what about the keyboard? If you put an old yellowed keyboard in there it would look nasty!
I don't make those cases, and I also don't make keyboards. I did try to contact the original manufacturer of the keyboards (Mitsumi) a few years ago, but they have quit the OEM computer business long ago. What they do today is automotive OEM stuff, and all old tooling has been scrapped, so this is gone forever.

Jens
AdSense AdSense