English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 01 September 2015, 21:37   #181
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankVector View Post
Virtually all ST games use direct access to the Atari hardware (including floppy, video, sound, joystick), so there are no chances to get them running on EmuTOS for Amiga.

However, there are a few GEM-based games. Nothing spectacular. Those ones are more likely to work. I tested GEM AmiGo, it worked fine.
Thats not correct at all.

Most of the early get their access to palletes, screen pointers and such by going through TOS.

Very few of the early ones hit the hardware directly, that came later. Try anything old by Atari which is typically programmed by American development teams, and they were likely through the system.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 September 2015, 21:38   #182
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Those games would still be limited by the fact there is only a ST-High mode.

Theres some dungeoncrawler games that run in ST-High i vaguely remember, worth a try.

Any suggestions of which to try? i can give it a go.
Im unsure why emutos is only in hires mode? Is there a specific reason for not being able to drop into lowres 16 colour mode?
Old 01 September 2015, 21:47   #183
BlankVector

Quote:
I have mint 1.18 running
This one is good

Actually, I made FreeMiNT tests with both Amiga and ColdFire Evaluation Boards. Hardware issues were fatal to the latter, while I remember that I had better luck with Amiga which was more fault tolerant. But I didn't know it was possible to run Mint 1.18 out of the box

Quote:
It seems XaAES tries to start, and gets to the point of opening the desktop (so i guess my config is correct).

However only a blank white screen is shown.
I remember that I stopped at that point. No clue about what was happening. I didn't investigate further.

Quote:
All works!

MiNT + XaAES + Teradesk.
Excellent! How did you solve the white screen problem?
Old 01 September 2015, 22:06   #184
BlankVector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Most of the early get their access to palletes, screen pointers and such by going through TOS.
Sorry, I didn't knew that.
I started working on ST in nineties (and never on Amiga).

Quote:
Im unsure why emutos is only in hires mode? Is there a specific reason for not being able to drop into lowres 16 colour mode?
This is because the ST uses interlaced bitplanes (every 16 pixels, 2 bytes) while Amiga uses unified bitplanes. Monochrome ST-High is the single common denominator, since it only uses 1 bitplane: both formats are identical.

However, if you find a solution for Amiga hardware to deal with ST interlaced bitplanes, you're done. A framebuffer format conversion using the blitter could certainly be possible, but I guess it would be too slow for full framerate.
Old 01 September 2015, 23:29   #185
Locutus

Quote:
This one is good

Actually, I made FreeMiNT tests with both Amiga and ColdFire Evaluation Boards. Hardware issues were fatal to the latter, while I remember that I had better luck with Amiga which was more fault tolerant. But I didn't know it was possible to run Mint 1.18 out of the box

I remember that I stopped at that point. No clue about what was happening. I didn't investigate further.

Excellent! How did you solve the white screen problem?
I am not sure what solved the issue, as i had a rather haphazardly slapped together mint setup i grabbed the VanillaMiNT .zip and tried if that worked.

To my suprise the VanillaMiNT booted straight out of the box after changing the videomode in xaaes.cnf.

I'll compare the setups and see if i can find any differences that would explain this.

Vanilla MiNT -> http://atari.nvg.org/VanillaMiNT/
Old 01 September 2015, 23:34   #186
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't knew that.
I started working on ST in nineties (and never on Amiga).

This is because the ST uses interlaced bitplanes (every 16 pixels, 2 bytes) while Amiga uses unified bitplanes. Monochrome ST-High is the single common denominator, since it only uses 1 bitplane: both formats are identical.

However, if you find a solution for Amiga hardware to deal with ST interlaced bitplanes, you're done. A framebuffer format conversion using the blitter could certainly be possible, but I guess it would be too slow for full framerate.
I have a very optimized routine you could use which on standard 68000 is a bit slow, but on faster processors is very fast.

I used it for my ST to Amiga game conversion of Where Time Stood Still, on 020+, it is EXTREMELY fast.

You are welcome to use it so at least you can offer it as an option for Amiga owners.

And its INTERLEAVED not interlaced
Old 01 September 2015, 23:50   #187
BlankVector

Quote:
I have a very optimized routine you could use which on standard 68000 is a bit slow, but on faster processors is very fast.
Good to know!
I still have a lot of work to cleanly fix all that EmuTOS / fVDI / FreeMiNT mess, but when that's OK I will definitely go back to you to support standard Amiga color modes. Your routines will be welcome.

Another approach would be to add support for Amiga color modes in EmuTOS VDI or fVDI, I don't know how much work that would require.
Old 12 September 2017, 11:48   #188
Jacques

Quote:
EmuTOS 0.9.8

Major changes:
- Amiga: New boot floppy target
- Amiga: Rewrite floppy routines

- Amiga: Support multiple video modes
- BIOS: Autodetect IDE interface with twisted cable at run-time
- EmuDesk: Add support for desktop shortcuts
- EmuDesk: Add support for formatting floppies
- EmuDesk: Add support for user-assignable desktop icons
Apparently there's a problem with reading floppies under new version of EmuTOS, you have to repeat attempt to read many times before disk content gets shown (error windows popping up). Checked the same diskette on previous version of EmuTOS (0.9.4 IIRC) and works like a charm.

Any chance of a fix, please? New version is great with several video modes to be used under Amiga, but unusable due to above issue.
Old 12 September 2017, 12:44   #189
BlankVector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
Apparently there's a problem with reading floppies under new version of EmuTOS, you have to repeat attempt to read many times before disk content gets shown (error windows popping up).
Indeed, this occurs occasionally. I always thought this was because of bad floppies. I had this problem a lot yesterday, then I formatted another floppy and it worked like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
Checked the same diskette on previous version of EmuTOS (0.9.4 IIRC) and works like a charm.
Oh. So you are right, there is something wrong with new routines. Maybe your floppy is a bit weak, and new routines lack auto-retry? I will check that.

Thanks for your interest in EmuTOS, anyway.

BTW, I take this opportunity to advertise my new YouTube channel: Vretrocomputing.
In the first video, I show how to use a Windows PC to download Atari ST software and put it on a floppy. Of course this can also be useful with EmuTOS for Amiga
There will also be some Amiga stuff on that channel in the future. Stay tuned!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 September 2017, 12:51   #190
Jacques

Thank you for so quick response, BlankVector Actually as a both Amiga and Atari fan, I have great interest in EmuTOS running on my ACA500 equipped A500

Well, the drive itself in my A500 is having no problems at all, I think diskette too (when it was Amiga-formatted no problem at all), then I formatted it to 720 KB under KCS Power PC Board emulator and the problem appeared only under new EmuTOS.
I can check with another diskette if needed, though - no problem.
Old 12 September 2017, 14:19   #191
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I quickly checked the disk code:

- Disk interrupt request is not cleared before starting dma. It may be already set for some reason, for example if previous attempt timed out.
- First word of track buffer may not have any sync markers if DMA was started between first and second sync marker. (It is rare but not too rare)
Old 13 September 2017, 12:14   #192
BlankVector

Many thanks, Toni, for this code review!
This really makes sense. I'm planning to improve the EmuTOS floppy driver with your hints. I will report progress here.
Old 13 September 2017, 12:29   #193
Jacques

And I will be more than happy to test it when ready, thanks to both of You!

Btw. would there be a chance that EmuTOS makes use of ACA500 (A600 compatible) IDE/CF drive?
Old 13 September 2017, 12:59   #194
BlankVector

EmuTOS works perfectly on my A500+ with Vampire V2, including CompactFlash plugged on Vampire IDE port. That one is A600 compatible. So I don't see any good reason it would not work on ACA500 IDE. If it does not work out of the box, I believe it just needs some real-hardware experiments and EmuTOS fixes.
Old 13 September 2017, 13:18   #195
Jacques

Great to hear that, what sort of partition does it expect to be on CF card? Simply FAT32 one? Are there any specific CF size requirements?
Old 13 September 2017, 14:53   #196
BlankVector

The best way to format a CompactFlash card is to create a PC-style partition table, and create a small primary partition such as 500 MB.
Then format that partition using *FAT16* (FAT32 is unsupported by EmuTOS).
FAT16 partitions are limited to 2 GB. Even if any size works fine with EmuTOS, 500 MB is far enough for most needs.

You can also avoid using any partition table, and format the whole CompactFlash card as FAT16. But of course, that can only work for CompactFlash cards less than 2 GB.

So basically, you can use a PC and any standard partition tool (such as gparted on Linux) to format the CompactFlash. Then it will always work fine on EmuTOS, provided you have at least one FAT16 partition.

Last edited by BlankVector; 13 September 2017 at 15:22.
Old 13 September 2017, 15:19   #197
Jacques

I'll try that, thank you. I have 512MB card already formatted FAT16 for use with my 486 retro-PC, hopefully that should work out of the box, then
Old 13 September 2017, 18:11   #198
plasmab

Great to see some work on EmuTOS going on. Love that little OS.
Old 13 September 2017, 21:59   #199
Jacques

Unfortunately having tested with 16 MB and 2GB CompactFlash card, neither EmuTOS 0.9.8 nor 0.9.4 can use ACA500's IDE(CF) port, HDD is not detected. Kind of strange, as e.g. KCS Power PC Board (PC/XT emulator in trapdoor) recognizes it under A600 IDE setting.

Just out of curiosity: apart from unstability of disk-reading under 0.9.8, why is "FORMAT" option in menu unavailable in the newer version (was selectable in 0.9.4)?

Last edited by Jacques; 13 September 2017 at 22:06.
Old 13 September 2017, 22:38   #200
BlankVector

Oh. So we will have to debug EmuTOS IDE on your hardware. I will go back to you when I have some time.

About the Format menu option: in older EmuTOS versions, it was just a shortcut to run a program named FORMAT.PRG. Completely useless, as such program has never existed on Atari machines. In newer EmuTOS versions, that item has been replaced by a fully functional floppy-format dialog box. But that format tool is currently only available for Atari hardware, this is why it has disappeared on Amiga (for now).
AdSense AdSense