English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 20 September 2002, 09:13   #21
Korodny
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
[B]
sorry man, I was actually making fun of myself and my previous A1 comments, don't you understand a joke?
Oh shit. Honestly I didn't recognise it as a joke.... /me turns dark red and runs away...

Quote:
Why? well, I could export presentatins DIRECTLY to DV without loss of quality! It's stupid to take an Amiga everywhere if I can tape what it does and take it to places...
VHS sucks, but DV rocks, so if MSRTG supports DV, I could get KICKASS presentations NO other program can deliver!

See my point?
Ah, now I understand you. Well, even if MediaPoint wouldn't support FW, it would still support output to an animation file. You could just drag that to a CDRW and take it everywhere OS4 has Mount Rainier support, that means you can use a CDRW as a floppy (just save your files from MediaPointRTG to CDRW).
Korodny is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 September 2002, 09:31   #22
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Shatterhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Rio de Janeiro / Brazil
Age: 34
Posts: 2,686
I hate when people compare computers with cars, as they are 2 completely different things - and yet this is done a lot.


The current Ford Escort is backwards compatible with the Ford Escort 60, as they work with the same fuel.
Shatterhand is online now  
Old 20 September 2002, 10:00   #23
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,280
Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
Oh shit. Honestly I didn't recognise it as a joke.... /me turns dark red and runs away...
Shame on you! This was your chance to poke fun at me
Quote:
Well, even if MediaPoint wouldn't support FW, it would still support output to an animation file. You could just drag that to a CDRW and take it everywhere
from my work experience I can tell you that most places that have big screens, videowalls or the like, DO NOT have computers attached to the video setup... Only VCRs or DVDs. So taking a CD to them would mean pish all.
Then again... i could of export as uncompressed video, and then output to DV. Or something.
Only thing MediaPointRTG needs is DV codec support. Then you can firewire straight into the cam .
If MPRTG supports some sort of "export plugins" that means that, even if the program does not support it de factor, someone could code a DV exporting plugin or something...
Akira is offline  
Old 20 September 2002, 10:08   #24
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
@Oscar:

No matter how you twist it, Apple does suck as much as Amiga/Hyperion/Eyetech (both want to sell you PPC based computers right now) and you are as stupid as me (as we bought such a computer).
Well I don't look at it like that.
Comparing a professional, top flight, world respected computer company [Apple] whose superb products are widely available with a pipsqueak, half-assed, joke of a scotch-tape built little mom n pop operation that seeks to capitalize on a legendary name and superb OS [Amiga Inc.] is ludicrous.
Laughable.
Inane.
Fred the Fop is offline  
Old 20 September 2002, 20:57   #25
IanS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nottingham England
Posts: 209
Shatter...

I hate comparing computers to cars... how about comparing them to bicycles, breakfast cereals or any other industry that gives a new product an old name. It's quite common. Plus, my miggy could be mistaken for a Weetabix from a distance

But don't try running most new cars on 1960s fuel... the engine won't last long if you do. Unless you have lots of money to throw around on new cars, in which case I want a Lotus Elise in metalic green or blue please! Pretty please?
IanS is offline  
Old 20 September 2002, 21:18   #26
IanS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nottingham England
Posts: 209
I seem to have upset Akira... shame on me! I beg forgiveness from him, or may I burn in hell for eternity (or until the A1 appears... whichever is first!).

Does your Apple not have Firewire, or can it not be added via PCI card? I ask in earnest as I don't know which Apple you have. It would be cool to be able to directly access a DV camera attached to the Mac via a miggy. Something along the lines of Siamese. Can it be done?

Unfortunately the Mac I have is a IIsi... not the most up to date model me thinks. Still, somebody is giving me a 6320 603ppc model shortly. At last... OS9 on my network!!!!
IanS is offline  
Old 20 September 2002, 22:29   #27
Oscar Castillo
Junior Member
Oscar Castillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 282
Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
@Oscar:



Probably because they're no "euro-geeks", right? Boy, you don't have that -> <- much of a clue. What's the difference between licensing and tweaking a PPC based reference design (AmigaOne) and doing the same with a POWER based reference design?

Damn, I answered that question a long time ago. The BIG DIFFERENCE is that the PPC architecture is old and painfully showing its limitations in its current form. And while Apple and IBM are moving to discard the old and move on to a new more robust PPC platform, A1 is looking to sell un-upgradeable, end of life products to Amiga faithfuls.
Quote:
You still owe me an explanation why "they" suck? If you agree that the "quick buck" that is made with the AmigaOne hardware is neccessary to make OS4 reality, why does somebody "suck" then? Does Apple suck (they need their custom hardware base as much as we need it)?
I answered this too. "They suck" because they're selling products that are end of life as a starting point for a new Amiga. I'm fine with custom hardware, but a disposable motherboard is not the way to go. 3rd party hardware developers are locked out. No one to go to but Eyetech for the hardware. And they want it that way.
Quote:
Still you bought a Mac (probably a G4, as you're running OSX). Isn't that stupid if Power4 based machines will be available next week?
I went from a single 800 Mhz to a dual 867. And it was only $100 more than what I paid for my single when it came out. That's a bargain. And don't have to wait to see any gains in performance. Some form of Power4 derived systems are not yet a reality and until they are I'm not going to let my purchasing decisions be made by what is essentially vaporware at this time.
Quote:
No matter how you twist it, Apple does suck as much as Amiga/Hyperion/Eyetech (both want to sell you PPC based computers right now) and you are as stupid as me (as we bought such a computer). [/B]
Don't you get it, it's not that PPC sucks, it's Eyetech/A1 for selling closed systems so only they control the upgrade path for the CPU.
If you want OS4 you HAVE to buy the G3 board they are selling. If you want a faster one you need to swap it out completely and buy another board from them. Will it be socketed as they say? Highly unlikely since they'll be giving up control at that point.
Oscar Castillo is offline  
Old 21 September 2002, 00:42   #28
Korodny
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 658
@Oscar:

Quote:
Damn, I answered that question a long time ago. The BIG DIFFERENCE is that the PPC architecture is old and painfully showing its limitations in its current form. And while Apple and IBM are moving to discard the old and move on to a new more robust PPC platform, A1 is looking to sell un-upgradeable, end of life products to Amiga faithfuls.
As you correctly point out, POWER4 systems are pretty much vaporware now. If you want to create a custom hardware to run your OS (which is required to fund the development of the OS) and want to stay on a big endian CPU, what choices are there apart from PPC? Let me spell it out for you: NONE

Quote:
I answered this too. "They suck" because they're selling products that are end of life as a starting point for a new Amiga.
That's simply bullshit. You have a Mac and you're going to use it for a few years until you upgrade to whatever is available then. I'll do the same. There's no problem here.

Quote:
I'm fine with custom hardware, but a disposable motherboard is not the way to go.
Excuse me, didn't you just sell your complete G4 motherboard to buy a dual G4 motherboard? It seems that for you disposable motherboards are the way to go?

Quote:
3rd party hardware developers are locked out. No one to go to but Eyetech for the hardware. And they want it that way.
Bullshit. It's not Amiga's/Hyperion's fault that Merlancia dropped all their projects. And there is the SharkPPC range (the combination Mediator + SharkPPC will be able to work as a standalone computer, it doesn't need a classic Motherboard attached). And there's another solution still not announced publicly.

Quote:
Don't you get it, it's not that PPC sucks, it's Eyetech/A1 for selling closed systems so only they control the upgrade path for the CPU.
Bullshit. The AmigaOne-XE (which is already finished (including the BIOS) and waiting to go into production once the first production run of the AmigaOneG3-SE is sold) is equipped with a "MegArray" CPU connector. That's the standard CPU connector used by Apple. An AmigaOne-XE will accept standard Apple CPU upgades, including Dual- or Quad-G4 units (though AmigaOS will not support multiple processors).
Korodny is offline  
Old 21 September 2002, 05:32   #29
Oscar Castillo
Junior Member
Oscar Castillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 282
Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
As you correctly point out, POWER4 systems are pretty much vaporware now. If you want to create a custom hardware to run your OS (which is required to fund the development of the OS) and want to stay on a big endian CPU, what choices are there apart from PPC? Let me spell it out for you: NONE
For Apple only. IBM has already shipped Power4 systems. A desktop version of this CPU might end up on 2003 PowerMacs.
As for wanting to stay on a big endian CPU. I never said there were other choices, just that it is a business choice to keep control and not that it would be of any benefit to the end-user.
Quote:
That's simply bullshit. You have a Mac and you're going to use it for a few years until you upgrade to whatever is available then. I'll do the same. There's no problem here.
On the contrary I never keep a system for a few years. And even if I did I have a choice of CPU upgrade cards from a 3rd party. I'm not forced to go to Apple if I do not want to.
Quote:
Excuse me, didn't you just sell your complete G4 motherboard to buy a dual G4 motherboard? It seems that for you disposable motherboards are the way to go?
No, I sold my entire system because not only did I need a speed boost, but the pricing was so low it was like getiing the extra CPU for nothing. The architecture was also a factor, in terms of the new ATA100, DDR and L3 cache which I did not have in my 800Mhz Quicksilver.
Quote:
Bullshit. It's not Amiga's/Hyperion's fault that Merlancia dropped all their projects. And there is the SharkPPC range (the combination Mediator + SharkPPC will be able to work as a standalone computer, it doesn't need a classic Motherboard attached). And there's another solution still not announced publicly.
Merlancia has got to the worst of them all. Their products are just rendered. And they tend to rip off any unsuspecting A1200 buyer on Ebay with their overpriced stock Amigas.
Quote:
Bullshit. The AmigaOne-XE (which is already finished (including the BIOS) and waiting to go into production once the first production run of the AmigaOneG3-SE is sold) is equipped with a "MegArray" CPU connector. That's the standard CPU connector used by Apple. An AmigaOne-XE will accept standard Apple CPU upgades, including Dual- or Quad-G4 units (though AmigaOS will not support multiple processors). [/B]
Until it can be ordered and delivered, it's just vaporware. It's built and exists and does all these wonderful things, yadda yadda, but still they can't get the SE out the door.
Oscar Castillo is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ELBOX Shark PPC boards released. DDNI Amiga scene 36 17 August 2010 23:02
Elbox Shark G3/G4 - Real Amigas Thread Only !!! dir_marillion support.Hardware 7 19 March 2006 18:26
Update your Pegasos II G3/600 to a Pegasos II G4/1GHz Paul News 0 04 August 2004 18:46
Pegasos way ahead of AmigaOne? Oscar Castillo Amiga scene 1 13 September 2002 09:53
flying shark??? matthew request.Old Rare Games 1 25 March 2002 18:15

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.31118 seconds with 11 queries