English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 June 2012, 15:25   #21
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

I am seriously thinking about mirrored servers right now.....
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 June 2012, 15:43   #22
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi dave what is differnt in classicamiga to amibay to run with them
Old 21 June 2012, 15:45   #23
Darksun777

omfg! What kind of idiots working at 1&1 ?

This is the worst support answer i've ever read, lol

Old 21 June 2012, 15:49   #24
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
hi dave what is differnt in classicamiga to amibay to run with them
Exactly; they are both on the same or similar servers. and VB4 still uses PHP. VB4 seems to have weathered the storm better than VB3, it seems.

1&1 haven't a clue about what they are doing. <shakes head>
Old 21 June 2012, 15:49   #25
BrooksterMax

I'm not 100% on the technical aspects but know customer service managemetn from experience at work. So read this with great interest

"Additionally we no longer offer that tier of server anymore."

That is a quality line, I wish I replied to corporate complaints like this more often. To hell with the customer, we just changed the rules!

Good luck guys, it is obvious you are fighting hard
Old 21 June 2012, 16:05   #26
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

I read that reply as a "FOAD-o-gram"...... that's what it amounts to. They obviously don't want any web customers any more.....
Old 21 June 2012, 16:11   #27
chiark
Needs a life

More seriously Dave, perhaps they don't want Amibay on their servers due to the load that it's getting?
Old 21 June 2012, 17:00   #28
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Maybe, Nick; reading between the lines, that's the impression I'm getting.
Old 21 June 2012, 17:13   #29
quarkx
Our prices are Insane!

Dave, I can only offer the email of an excellent web host here in Canada, he actually goes to lurk on Amibay from time to time, and has over 35 years of Unix Experience and knows Apache like the back of his hand. He is my Yoda.
But you probably want a UK based Host.
Old 21 June 2012, 17:20   #30
spannernick
Retro Nuts

1&1 Im with them but I don't use them for hosting..lucky i use them for just my site url addy (juniorwebdevsnet.co.uk) They said it was free then they charged me for a year.. weird..never again..anyway good luck with sorting it out.

Do you need a new host or will you be sorting that out.?

Thanks for the info Merlin..

Last edited by spannernick; 21 June 2012 at 17:34.
Old 21 June 2012, 17:23   #31
desiv

Wow, just wow...
Good luck and we appreciate the effort.

desiv
Old 21 June 2012, 18:41   #32
ubermick

Seems 1 and 1 makes poo. Cheers for the updates amibay staff, and cheers for the hospitality, EAB lads.
Old 21 June 2012, 20:14   #33
myst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Are they serious? Don't they realise that just about every site on the Internet uses PHP and that Apache is a dedicated PHP handler? What's the point of installing a PHP Handler to the server if they don't support PHP? Idiots...
First of all not that much of Internet uses PHP. Most of sites that wasn't made 10 years ago are done in Python/Django. Secondly, Apache IS NOT "dedicated handler" of anything, Apache is a web server. "Handling" of PHP is done by one of Apache's modules and that's it. And it's a bad idea to call someone idiot when you don't fully understand what you are talking about. Hope this helps.

Old 21 June 2012, 20:31   #34
sneeker

Im making an educated guess here.... myst works for worlds worst webhost (tm)?

Firstly :Not much of the internet uses php?

Which internet are you on? its not the same as the one I use where near enough every site I visit uses php, every forum used php in some form. Even basic webpages now use php..

2ndly,
Apache IS NOT "dedicated handler" of anything, Apache is a web server. "Handling" of PHP is done by one of Apache's modules and that's it.

Ok, so apache doesnt hadle it, but one of its modules does, isnt this like saying a car doesnt need fuel, but its fuel pump does?

And regarding calling someone an idiot, theres plenty of proof that they are idiots in this thread, and he obviously knows what he's talking about because... They run the site, if he didnt, the site wouldnt of been running for years.
Old 21 June 2012, 20:39   #35
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

I admit I am not a site developer but I have some understanding of how it all works.

If Debian Linux handled php or was a good enough web server then they wouldn't need Apache, would they? Apache handles Perl (php) scripts, hence my description of it.

Apache is broke, 1&1 broke it and they don't give a toss about fixing it; is that a fair assessment of the facts so far?

@ Myst

We have enough issues right now, without arguing navel-gazing minutae over comments made in posts, thanks......
Old 21 June 2012, 21:55   #36
myst

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeker View Post
Im making an educated guess here.... myst works for worlds worst webhost (tm)?
Nope.

Quote:
Which internet are you on? its not the same as the one I use where near enough every site I visit uses php, every forum used php in some form. Even basic webpages now use php.
Forums - yes, but most forums were made more than 10 years ago. PHP is by the way one of the reasons those forums are often hacked. Just saying.

Quote:
Ok, so apache doesnt hadle it, but one of its modules does, isnt this like saying a car doesnt need fuel, but its fuel pump does?
No, it's not. It's called 'module' because it's optional. You can install Apache w/o mod_php, but with mod_python if you don't want to use PHP and want to use Python. You can install Apache with both or even without them if you need to just serve static HTMLs.

Quote:
And regarding calling someone an idiot, theres plenty of proof that they are idiots in this thread, and he obviously knows what he's talking about because... They run the site, if he didnt, the site wouldnt of been running for years.
1&1 has terrible customer service, yes. I don't see confirmation they're idiots. Speaking of cars, I know a number people who drive car for 10+ years and have no idead about how the car works.

Old 21 June 2012, 21:58   #37
desiv

Quote:
I admit I am not a site developer but I have some understanding of how it all works.
Obvious, but we love you and appreciate you anyway. ;-)

Quote:
If Debian Linux handled php or was a good enough web server then they wouldn't need Apache, would they? Apache handles Perl (php) scripts, hence my description of it.
Debian (Linux) is an OS (kernel if you're technical). It doesn't handle any of that.
You can add PHP (and/or PERL) to Debian (or any Linux).
You don't need to use them thru a web server. You can run them locally (I had a developer who liked to write his non-web scripts in PHP.. Weird, but it can be done..)
PHP is a scripting language originally designed for web pages (Personal Home Page).

Now, that being said, virtually everyone who uses PHP uses it for websites, and there are LOTS and LOTS of them. Those websites almost always use Apache, and almost always on Linux.

Debian has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Apache is broke, 1&1 broke it and they don't give a toss about fixing it; is that a fair assessment of the facts so far?
Not really.
Apache isn't broken.
Your host has decided not to enable PHP.
It's not enabled by default, and he's choosing not to enable it.
That's totally a hosting decision.

A fair assessment..
1&1 is broke. They want you to pay more money for a higher tier so they can make more money.
They most likely just have to type:

apt-get install php5
apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5
a2enmod php5

They want more money to do that...
As a side note, if this happened here, and ClassicAmiga uses PHP, I'd expect it to happen there also...

desiv
Old 21 June 2012, 22:06   #38
myst

Quote:
Debian GNU/Linux is an operating system. Apache is a web server. PHP is a programming language. mod_php is a module for the web server that can interpret PHP language and allows you to use PHP to "postprocess" HTML pages. You can use PHP without Apache, just not for serving HTML. You can use another web server to serve dynamic (PHP/Perl/Python "postprocessed" HTML).

Quote:
As I understand it, they admitted that the kind of server you used wasn't supposed to have mod_php enabled. The update "fixed" this "bug". And they have no intention on enabling PHP support on this kind of servers. I don't see how Apache is broken here.

Quote:
We have enough issues right now, without arguing navel-gazing minutae over comments made in posts, thanks...
Agree, let's end it here. I wish you good luck to find a good hosting (someone suggested something IIRC). Let us know if you need donations

Old 21 June 2012, 22:07   #39
Mendel

Day 4 of no Amibay. It is reported that Mendelīs beard has grown 10 mm, he has pressed F5 a total of 10593 times on amibay.com and he has eaten 12 cans of tunafish while waiting for his dose.

Seriously though. Good luck with the move to new provider or whatever it is that you do to the get things rolling. It is such a great place. Looking forward to returning there when things start working.
Old 21 June 2012, 22:12   #40
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

"... and this just in; Elvis is still dead...."

AdSense AdSense