Amibay Mod/Staff

wasnt the Abucas the first computer thing made by man
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 June 2012, 21:03   #22
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
You're far better off running XP SP2 with the Amiga theme pack anyway.
That would beg the question if one think windows, and an old version of it at that, is anywhere as appealing as a good linux distro like linux mint. As much as I don't like commodore usa, i'm running commodore os vision before I'm running windows.
Old 19 June 2012, 21:19   #23
Mendel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuvUK View Post
rofl, pmsl OS4.1 supported!!! rofl, pmsl "real deal"
Okay. Let me tell you my real user experience on OS 4.0

I installed it on a hard drive. Oooh Bvision support out of the box and it just works... after like 40 minutes of installing I have the OS4 desktop on my CRT screen. For some reason my floppy drive was invisible, no matter. I see desktop. Can go to change prefs and stuff. Can browse drawers in the os. I then started thinking about what I want to do with it... Couldnīt come up with anything to do with it. Took away the whole hard drive tray and floppy disk drive, put a cf card reader and cf card to it and proceeded to play Eye of the Beholder from classicwb39. Would I actually go and install os 4.1? What is it, 150 euros? For what? Slightly nicer web browser than classicwb39?

But still... it IS amigaos... it is actively being developed, there may some day be an os4.2 much more of a real deal than Commodore OS vision. I do prefer the classics though, if thatīs what you were wondering.
Old 19 June 2012, 23:28   #24
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I did make COS 32bit for my 32bit pc but now I don't use it no more,I like the look of it thats all,don't like CUSA cos they think they making new Commodores and Amigas when there a pc in a custom case..anyway you heard it all before..I using winxp now with AmiKit on it and it works great..
Old 20 June 2012, 00:21   #25
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
wasnt the Abucas the first computer thing made by man
You got it johnim !!
I was just making the point that COS,Linux,Windows or whatever the system we are better off with a variaty of choice and having it rather than not..

We are pretty spoilt for choice in this day and age....Im not a Linux user and to you guys COS is nothing new and you know what your doing but a pre-made retro linux system for us newbies isnt a so bad to play with..

@Spannernick

Have to agree I like the OS but like you say the C64X it is a PC in a novelty case with a nostalgic selling point....

BUT I DO WANT ONE OF THESE !!

Old 20 June 2012, 00:31   #26
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

yea i would love that little gem maybe make 1
Old 20 June 2012, 01:50   #27
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
yea i would love that little gem maybe make 1
Check this guys out !! Not dead accurate but shows the possibilities

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/case...-frenk-janse/1

Going back to Linux etc are there any themes available for the OS or is it all custom that you do yourselves ? If so wheres the best place to start to learn ?
Old 20 June 2012, 04:05   #28
Wolfy

You can use remastersys to spin your own live setups, not tried yet but thats the route for fast modification of a live debian* setup
Old 20 June 2012, 04:26   #29
Emu Amiga
Super dooper Amiga fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Yes, it's been said before but all this stuff should be in the public domain now, let's face it. Ok, apart from OS4 (personally NOT interested.)

It would be lovely if WinUAE consisted of installing, then clicking which machine you would like, then loading any game you want, harddrive or floppy, shouldn't matter.

Not gonna happen when there's companies out there like "Commodore (pfft)," "Amiga Inc," "Cloanto," etc still trying to make a profit on a dead format.

Fuck them, and shame on anyone for giving them money.
While i agree with some of your points, shaming someone that actually went out and bought Cloanto's Amiga package (me) is a bit extreme, isn't it? It's not like you can actually go out and buy a legacy A500, if i could, I would one the first people in line. Cloanto's package in conjuction with Classic workbench is the closest i'm ever going to get to experiencing my old (dead) Amiga again.
Old 20 June 2012, 09:10   #30
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

nice 1 synchro thanks

i have tried commodore os but not a linux user dont know how to configure it
Old 20 June 2012, 13:01   #31
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu Amiga View Post
While i agree with some of your points, shaming someone that actually went out and bought Cloanto's Amiga package (me) is a bit extreme, isn't it? It's not like you can actually go out and buy a legacy A500, if i could, I would one the first people in line. Cloanto's package in conjuction with Classic workbench is the closest i'm ever going to get to experiencing my old (dead) Amiga again.
I build my Amiga launchers and my own Workbench's and as many of you know i give them away free....But i also bought cloanto's Amiga Forever...Its a really good package with some great stuff and for those who want get straight back into the Amiga without all the setting up or are unfamiliar with doing it then its the perfect starting point....certainly no shame in it..
Old 20 June 2012, 14:29   #32
Christian
Zone Friend

Yes, ok I was being too harsh Sorry

My point remains though that none of this stuff (roms, etc) is going to end up free if people keep paying for it. As far as I know, this isn't a problem with other old/dead platforms. Well, there's the PC in a C64 case thingy but the less said about that, the better....
Old 20 June 2012, 17:16   #33
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Ye thats the problem though...while there is demand ( and the Amiga community is big ) they can still make money licencing the roms...No doubt Cloanto pay a tidy sum for the rights to use them.

Its all down to business Cloanta saw a market for the Amiga and to make some money and went for it as do a lot of other Amiga based packages.....The person i really feel sorry for is Toni Wilen who devotes so much time to Winuae ( without that the roms really are worth shite ) and he survives on donations yet all these packages use his free application and they dont even need to ask permission !!

I do hope however they look after him in some way

Edit....Probably not literally survives but you know what i mean

Last edited by synchro; 20 June 2012 at 17:47.
Old 20 June 2012, 17:57   #34
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
The person i really feel sorry for is Toni Wilen who devotes so much time to Winuae ( without that the roms really are worth shite ) and he survives on donations yet all these packages use his free application and they dont even need to ask permission !!

That is true,without winuae the Amiga pay for packages would be dead,but i still like playing around with the real thing once in a while,havn't used my A500 for a long time I wonder if it still works..

I thnks most people use A600 and A1200 nowadays,I use my A1200 abit more then my yellowing A600..werid how my A600 is like that and my A1200 is not..

Anyway soorry got a bit of topic there..you got to love this place..
Old 21 June 2012, 01:49   #35
Emu Amiga
Super dooper Amiga fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Yes, ok I was being too harsh Sorry

My point remains though that none of this stuff (roms, etc) is going to end up free if people keep paying for it. As far as I know, this isn't a problem with other old/dead platforms. Well, there's the PC in a C64 case thingy but the less said about that, the better....

No Apologies are necessary, after reflecting a bit, i realise that you are 100% correct. The more i think about the 'new Commodore' the more disgusted i feel about their decision to repackage a crumby windows machine in a C-64 clothing.

Quote:
Ye thats the problem though...while there is demand ( and the Amiga community is big ) they can still make money licencing the roms...No doubt Cloanto pay a tidy sum for the rights to use them.

Its all down to business Cloanta saw a market for the Amiga and to make some money and went for it as do a lot of other Amiga based packages.....The person i really feel sorry for is Toni Wilen who devotes so much time to Winuae ( without that the roms really are worth shite ) and he survives on donations yet all these packages use his free application and they dont even need to ask permission !!

You're right, Toni is top shelf. Thanks Toni for the hard work.

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 21 June 2012 at 10:00. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 21 June 2012, 11:18   #36
Christian
Zone Friend

@Emu Amiga - no worries mate, I kinda worded things wrong

That's the annoying thing though eh? To me, all the hard work is done by people who already give their stuff away free; WinUAE, ClassicWB, Amikit, and so on.. all great work by amazing and talented people. The Kickstart roms & Workbench (afaik) are not free, but licensed to be sold. A situation I find unbelievable considering how old they are.

So we end up with the catch 22 of never having a complete package freely available for download. As things stand, I can understand people getting AF, particularly beginners; Winuae is not the easiest software to get your head round as a beginner after all. For the sake of some stupid protection on a few very old & small rom & disk images, this situation could be remedied. I strongly believe Winuae should be available for download, all pre-installed and ready to go (for free.) Hell, I'd even include the well-known game packages in there, with the option for software houses to request the removal of their ip.

Perhaps if (the real) Commodore had not gone under, things would be different. You never know, Amstrad released all their stuff into the public domain lol.

Last edited by Christian; 21 June 2012 at 11:36.
Old 21 June 2012, 13:32   #37
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Dont get me wrong....I wish all the roms were free as well ....But its like owning a useless field....someone asks to park thier car there and you say " No probs mate use it"
Thousands of people ask and your gonna think .." Hmm i can make some money on this " its human nature. so as long as we all want them there not gonna give them away

I could compile a package that you only need to drop your roms in if that would help. As long as its free it would be legal...Workbench can be freely used its only the roms that make it awkward.....But a " Put your roms here " button opening the relavent directory could easily solve that.

In fact why dont we make our own package for EAB ....I dont mind giving it a go people could donate thier workbench layouts etc
Old 21 June 2012, 13:49   #38
Christian
Zone Friend

Well I think that is a fantastic idea I didn't know workbench was free to use tbh, which would make things much easier if that's the case...

My younger brother is a good case in point. He loved the Amiga and knows it can be emulated, etc. He had a quick look but got a bit overwhelmed with all the steps necessary to get things working, so has never bothered. I find this a shame. I know the "quickstart" option in WinUAE went some way to fixing this, but let's be honest, it's still all a bit confusing.

An EAB launcher/frontend maybe combined with ClassicWb (or whatever) and dead-easy host configuration or something would be amazing. One-click solutions and all that
Old 21 June 2012, 14:07   #39
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Ye i was thinking Classic WB being the main feature as well....I would have to ask Bloodwych of course...Perhaps i will whip up a demo for the weekend just to see what the responses would be ?
In fact the more i think about this the more i like it...

Actually im not 100% sure about the workbench being ok to use...il have to look into it more...i know its still useless without the roms but im not sure if its tabboo on the forum

Last edited by synchro; 21 June 2012 at 14:23.
Old 21 June 2012, 14:51   #40
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Quote:
Ye i was thinking Classic WB being the main feature as well....I would have to ask Bloodwych of course...Perhaps i will whip up a demo for the weekend just to see what the responses would be ?
In fact the more i think about this the more i like it...

Actually im not 100% sure about the workbench being ok to use...il have to look into it more...i know its still useless without the roms but im not sure if its tabboo on the forum

Synchro you opened a thread about this and it seems you haven't read the last posts.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...+512MB+PFS+hdf

James' workbench would be great.
AdSense AdSense