English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 April 2012, 22:42   #21
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Tragically, that 109% isn't a typo. That is the actual score it was given by a professional magazine, as utterly ridiculous as it may seem.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 April 2012, 23:48   #22
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

lol, thanks for the info!

I wonder if its an unrealistic dream that the still active chaps over at cope-com would ever consider a revamp of battle squadron for the miggy, keep everything the same but take advantage of the superior processing power available via upgrades and emulation to get everything running at 50fps, instead of the hybrid 25fps 50fps that the game seems to run at.

I always had that dream about many amiga games but its unlikely it will ever come to light, I find something really appealing about a game that runs in a frame.
Old 23 April 2012, 00:58   #23
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Here's the 109% review of Battle Squadron in Amiga Computing.

I'd say it's *extremely* unlikely that Martin Pedersen would have the time or inclination to modify the game to update everything in a frame.

Remember that the blitter still runs at the same speed (except in WinUAE with immediate blits ticked), so the only way to increase the frame rate would be to change certain routines to use the CPU where possible (copying tiles for example), but that might also create timing problems where the blitter may expect the CPU to have copied the correct tile data already etc. I can't see it happening myself.
Old 23 April 2012, 01:27   #24
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

nice review! Thanks

Aye very unlikely, still very happy with BS
Old 23 April 2012, 01:36   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I'd really like to see Hybris converted as well, 100% like the Amiga version.

kids today need to know how we rolled back in the 1980's, and they need to experience the magic of one of the Amigas highlights.

So how about it Torben? How about doing the decent thing and getting Hybris converted?
Old 23 April 2012, 06:43   #26
Gunbot

Thanks Torben, the work you did is appreciated.
Old 23 April 2012, 10:20   #27
TorbenLarsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Tragically, that 109% isn't a typo. That is the actual score it was given by a professional magazine, as utterly ridiculous as it may seem.
It is not really a tragedy, but a reflection of what the Amiga was capable of back in 1989. From a technical standpoint and how much the Amiga was pushed it is not far off with the score and perhaps an indication that the game was way ahead of it's time technically, artistically and musically.
(Note: I have at times mentioned that there are more than 100 unik colors onscreen during gameplay, more than 3 times that of standard 32!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2x2x View Post
lol, thanks for the info!

I wonder if its an unrealistic dream that the still active chaps over at cope-com would ever consider a revamp of battle squadron for the miggy, keep everything the same but take advantage of the superior processing power available via upgrades and emulation to get everything running at 50fps, instead of the hybrid 25fps 50fps that the game seems to run at.

I always had that dream about many amiga games but its unlikely it will ever come to light, I find something really appealing about a game that runs in a frame.
But then we have Hybris in the pipeline and it runs like real smoothies. Max framerate on all counts just as on the Amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I'd really like to see Hybris converted as well, 100% like the Amiga version.

kids today need to know how we rolled back in the 1980's, and they need to experience the magic of one of the Amigas highlights.

So how about it Torben? How about doing the decent thing and getting Hybris converted?
It is well underway and playable on iOS and it looks cool. First level is more or less fully playable Can't show images of it yet but will happen very soon and hopefully within some weeks too a testing beta round could take place, just as we did with Battle Squadron ONE. And this time we will also include Android if it is OK'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbot View Post
Thanks Torben, the work you did is appreciated.
Thanks, great to hear and needed to lubricate those pixels
Old 23 April 2012, 10:26   #28
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorbenLarsen View Post
It is not really a tragedy, but a reflection of what the Amiga was capable of back in 1989. From a technical standpoint and how much the Amiga was pushed it is not far off with the score and perhaps an indication that the game was way ahead of it's time technically, artistically and musically.
(Note: I have at times mentioned that there are more than 100 unik colors onscreen during gameplay, more than 3 times that of standard 32!!!)
Not the point, sorry

109%, as a percentage, strictly speaking does not exist! That's why it is a total joke and the review is stupidly vague anyway. I don't care how many colours it displays during the game - games should not be reviewed from a 'techincal standpoint' but from how well they play. A lot of magazines rated the game around the 80s area which I think is a much fairer reflection of the game (i.e. it's a very good game but not one to change the world) but there we go.
Old 23 April 2012, 10:39   #29
TorbenLarsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Not the point, sorry

109%, as a percentage, strictly speaking does not exist! That's why it is a total joke and the review is stupidly vague anyway. I don't care how many colours it displays during the game - games should not be reviewed from a 'techincal standpoint' but from how well they play. A lot of magazines rated the game around the 80s area which I think is a much fairer reflection of the game (i.e. it's a very good game but not one to change the world) but there we go.
I understand what you mean Graham and forgot to mention the great gameplay with even a 2 player mode and mouse control support

If it didn't rock the world.. it sure did rock the Amiga !
Old 23 April 2012, 12:06   #30
pmc
rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorbenLarsen
Special Thanks to pmc
That's absolutely no problem - I didn't really do very much after all.

Plus, it was worth it cos now you've posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorbenLarsen
Now functional on Android 4.x
so I can now download and enjoy one of my favourite Amiga games ever on my phone. \o/

So, thanks to you and your guys for the efforts!

Seems a bit pointless to me moaning on about whether the game was awarded the right review score for the right reasons in magazines fifteen odd years ago.

Surely the central point is that it was, and is, a great game as well as being technically impressive for its time.

Developers out there interested enough in doing the kind of update work that brings retro games to a new audience should be encouraged in my opinion.
Old 24 April 2012, 20:55   #31
TorbenLarsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
That's absolutely no problem - I didn't really do very much after all.

Plus, it was worth it cos now you've posted this:

so I can now download and enjoy one of my favourite Amiga games ever on my phone. \o/

So, thanks to you and your guys for the efforts!

Seems a bit pointless to me moaning on about whether the game was awarded the right review score for the right reasons in magazines fifteen odd years ago.

Surely the central point is that it was, and is, a great game as well as being technically impressive for its time.

Developers out there interested enough in doing the kind of update work that brings retro games to a new audience should be encouraged in my opinion.
Would be really nice to see some other Amiga classic games come to life on smartphone/tablets, like Shadow of the beast etc.
Heard a while back of the iAmiga project, but I am unsure of the status on that one?

Last edited by TorbenLarsen; 24 April 2012 at 21:06.
Old 24 April 2012, 21:58   #32
fryguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorbenLarsen View Post
Would it be possible to get you and fryguy on our ICS 4.x testing team. We will supply you with a game file and thus testing OS4.x for us?

If interested then contact me on tl@cope-com.com

Thanx
Missed this post, well,,,
AdSense AdSense