English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 March 2012, 08:54   #21
mc6809e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Canada is in North America, therefore they are Americans.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 March 2012, 12:15   #22
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc6809e View Post
Oh. You are from USA. I didnt read. You like to apropriate the word just for your folk, regardless of the rest of the american continent.
Old 09 March 2012, 20:00   #23
desiv

Quote:
Oh. You are from USA. I didnt read. You like to apropriate the word just for your folk, regardless of the rest of the american continent.
I'm sure you're not implying that everyone from the USA feels that way...
Hmmm..

What it's likely that he was implying is that I don't believe people from Canada call themselves "Americans," even tho they are part of that continent.

And I don't believe people in general from South America call themselves "Americans" either.

It is an unfortunate name choice...

Apparently, people from above and below were creative enough to come up with other names (Canada, Mexico, etc), and we just saw the name on the map and figured that was good enough.. ;-)

Technically, even United States isn't unique, as there are the Estados Unidos... ;-) Which is also accurate... And as they are in America, they could also be the USA...

We really should pick a name that's unique...

I vote for AmigaLand, as we're the birthplace of the Amiga..

Probably won't catch on tho..

desiv
Old 09 March 2012, 21:11   #24
mc6809e

Quote:
And you're just a bigot.
Old 09 March 2012, 22:45   #25
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2x2x View Post
Good shout on wrath of the demon, an exception by the looks of things.
Thanks mate! Getting this thread back ON-TOPIC, I did think of a couple of other arcade-style games that might fit the bill also. EA's coin-op conversion of Marble Madness was probably the first game that was truly optimised for the Amiga period, never mind that it came out of North America. Prince of Persia also got a pretty slick conversion to the Amiga.

It's virtually a complete bust when it comes to slick shoot 'em-ups coming out of North America, though. All the decent ones published by companies in that part of the world were Euro imports. There was a very obscure shoot 'em-up developed/published in the U.S. in 1993 called Overdrive. While its good looks are reminiscent of SWIV, it all turns to cack when things start to move!

Quote:
I have never really thought about it before, but Amiga games might be so distinct to other platforms because of it - a real Euro representation of gaming.
Never really thought about it like that either, but you could make a decent argument for it. Still, the Amiga probably isn't a unique case........it has a bit of company from the Atari ST, which is a slightly more extreme case since it died a much earlier death (~1988) in the North American market than the Ami. Fortunately, the ST was sustained for a few more years after that into the early 90s by its popularity in France, Germany and the UK.

Great thread BTW!
Old 10 March 2012, 19:51   #26
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Faery Tale Adventure is American and has pretty smooth scrolling, I don't know the exact FPS number. That's about all the smooth American games that spring to mind, there are probably a couple of others that I forgot...but in general the observation holds true.

I could even generalize a bit and say that American arcade games tend to be inferior to European and Japanese ones, although the reverse is true when it comes to adventures and RPGs. This is true at least on the Amiga and C64.
Old 10 March 2012, 21:21   #27
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Wins the award for the worst controls in a racing game... ever... for all times.
Now I understand why I never passed level 2 on this game when I could finish the arcade version back in the day and in MAME.

At least it had a great sampled music intro.

I always regarded US games as crap in technical terms if we exclude the Cinemaware titles, but even those were far from being smooth.
Old 14 March 2012, 20:15   #28
switchblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2x2x View Post
Is it my imagination or was the bulk of American produced Amiga games bloated, slow running and unoptimized?

Where as Euro produced Amiga games seemed to be a lot more optimized for the hardware and getting it to run in 50fps was an important consideration?
The Amiga was not a major player in the U.S. gaming market, so the few American companies that did produce games for the Amiga only did so to make a quick buck on it. Why bother putting effort into coding a game for a system that not many people will even own? Again, there were only a few American Amiga users, so therefore, there would be even fewer American developers for the Amiga.
AdSense AdSense