English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 March 2012, 21:49   #1
Macaw

Help getting Wrath of the Demon working

I spent ages browsing other topics dealing with trying to get this game running but I still havent had any success. Some people have said that the 'trained' disk 1 from skidrow is the working one and one the screen starts flashing colors after the kings speech you need to change disks, but even after trying to change to all the other disks I cant get anything to happen.

Anyone know what to do?
Old 06 March 2012, 23:20   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Using the A500 default config and the skid row crack I managed to get it to load.

After the kings speech, insert disk 2, press fire.

Insert disk 3, press fire. The game should now load.
Old 07 March 2012, 02:16   #3
Macaw

I just tried to do the same thing but it still just has the bright colored background after inserting disk 3 and pressing fire. Using A500 default config as well. Is this happening for anyone else?
Old 07 March 2012, 04:02   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

IIRC you have to insert disk 5 every time the screen flashes and when the screen flashes again insert the disk you had in the drive before.
Old 07 March 2012, 08:05   #5
Macaw

I tried putting in disk 5, then putting disk 1 back in, then 2 and then 3 (pressing fire after each disk change). Still cant get anything to work.

Tried with both the trained and non trained versions of the skidrow disk 1.
Old 07 March 2012, 09:45   #6
Mclane
Old retro god.

Works here just as Arnie said, have you got cycle exact ticked?

If not then tick it...

AS he said, disk 1 boot, when it goes flashy insert disk 2, its only in there for a second or so then flash and insert disk 3 and the game will begin, a guy on a horse just to prove I did try it.
Old 07 March 2012, 14:05   #7
Macaw

Would one of you be able to list the filenames of the ADF's your using? I've tried so many different sets now but I still haven't had any success. I also tried the disks marked with a (!) in the TOSEC pack as stated here which seem to be the ones that don't crash mid game: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58964

Still no success though. Eternally stuck at the flashing kings background screen. I wonder what could be the problem, I fully believe that you guys got it working from inserting disk 2 and then 3, but I have no idea if I am using wrong ADF's or something.
Old 07 March 2012, 14:46   #8
Mclane
Old retro god.

My files are in the zone..

They are the standard TOSEC versions
Old 07 March 2012, 17:33   #9
Macaw

Hahaha ok I'm officially going crazy now... This is an exact list of what I just did:

- I fresh installed WINUAE 2.3.3
- Leave everything default with the A500 config but turn on cycles-exact
- Get the Wrath of the Demon ADF's from in the zone
- Put disk 1 in, skip past the intro until the king texts ends and the screen starts flashing colours
- Put in disk 2, press fire (when pressing fire the flashing colours disappear for a second)
- Put in disk 3 and press fire
- Then nothing happens....the screen just still keeps showing the flashing colours

Is there anything that looks suspicious or am I just stuck in some altered dimension where Wrath of the Demon will never work? hahahah

Thanks for the continued help though guys!
Old 07 March 2012, 17:51   #10
s2325
Zone Friend

Are you using DF0: only? Floppy drive speed is 100%?
Old 07 March 2012, 18:00   #11
Macaw

Yes
Old 07 March 2012, 18:15   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Okay, how it worked for me (with the A500 most common quickstart and the disks from the zone) :

Wait for flash (DF0 is on track 10, check the on-screen leds)
Insert disk 2
Press fire
Wait for flash (DF0 is on track 02)
Insert disk 3
Press fire
Old 07 March 2012, 18:27   #13
Macaw

Ok, after inserting disk 2 the track just stays at 00, it never goes to 02. Any idea whats causing this?
Old 07 March 2012, 19:00   #14
Mclane
Old retro god.

Are you 100% sure that the roms (OS roms) you have have been scanned by Winuae to be correct?

Are you also 100% sure that nothing of your quicklaunch configs have been adjusted and a default.cfg written out?

It works 100% on a A500 most common config (I didn't try without cycle exact as I leave it on for everything), the only possibilities are differences in your setup at your end.

What I'd suggest but don't really want to ask you to do it is to delete Winuae's registy key and move any default.cfg files from the configs directory to somewhere else just to test it. Just moving the default.cfg and then booting Winuae should make sure that Winuae is now running without any unwanted changes.

The only reason I'd say deleting the registry key is if its got somehow corrupt, try moving the CFG first and trying the game before you even think of the registry key thing.

IF you want to delete the registry key then you do so at your own risk, it on its own is safe to delete but any other registry keys could do damage to the system or software installed. All settings for Winuae will be lost and revert to a default as it was released set up.

If you do this then make sure the default cfg in the configs directory is moved to a temporary safe place.

IF you want to do the registry thing then go to the run command on windows start menu and type in regedit, regedit will then pop up.

In the left hand box you will various HKEY folders / keys with a little triangle by the name by the side, click the triangle on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, that will open a tree with one called lots of other folders and one called Software, click the triangle on that.

Look for a folder called Arabuusimiehet, click the triangle on that and then you will see Winuae, right click on that in the left window and choose delete.

Close regedit down and run Winuae, it will scan your roms, now try the game again.
Old 07 March 2012, 19:23   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
default with the A500 config but turn on cycles-exact
My crystall ball says this is not exact enough A500 config. (non quickstart)
Old 07 March 2012, 19:36   #16
Mclane
Old retro god.

Yes, hence my long reply to him or her..

I reckon there's a lot of things been played with..
Old 07 March 2012, 20:31   #17
Macaw

Thanks for all the info, indeed it seems that something has to be wrong with the configuration. Considering that fresh installing WINUAE didn't seem to help there could indeed be something saved in the registry thats changed a setting.

I will first try running it on another computer and see what happens, then go from there and see if I have to clear the registry entry for WINUAE on my computer. I will report back here later.

Now I'm mostly just curious to discover whats wrong on my end with this, this is the only amiga game out of about 100 I've tried over the years that I haven't been able to run
Old 07 March 2012, 20:41   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Registry won't have anything to do with this problem.

Attach winuaelog.txt if it still does not work (tick logging checkbox in misc panel, boot the game, quit winuae when it stops loading)

Make sure quickstart mode configuration is actually enabled (click "set configuration" button or tick checkbox in bottom right corner) and make sure it says "a500 (most common)" and slider below is fully at leftmost position.

One other possibility: if you have configurations/default.uae, remove it temporarily, there is a bug that can cause bad quickstart configuration if advanced chipset settings have been saved to default.uae
Old 08 March 2012, 07:45   #19
Macaw

I literally just tried this on another computer that I installed WINUAE to and I have the same problem... I am going insane. I keep re-reading this thread but I cant find anything I'm doing wrong, there HAS to be something I am overlooking!

I've attached both logs.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (12.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (5.1 KB, 186 views)
Old 08 March 2012, 10:15   #20
Mclane
Old retro god.

You have not answered the question of if you have a default.uae in your configs directory?

Both myself and more importantly Toni has made it clear that the default.uae if it exists is most likely the problem.

Do you have one, if yes move it somewhere else and try the game.

EDIT: Just saw in the bootlog that you do not have a default.uae but it seems to me that these logs are worthless as I see no mention of the game disks as being inserted. The logs are only useful if you 'record' them during the booting of the machine with the game in it until it gets to the point where it stops working.

So unless I'm wrong go back to what Toni said about booting winuae so you get the f12 menu, ticking the checkbox for logging in misc and then try loading the game until it stops for you and then go back into the F12 menu shut Winuae down and send those logs then.

Last edited by Mclane; 08 March 2012 at 10:24.