English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 March 2012, 22:24   #1
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Bypassing the Amiga trademark

So if Amiga Inc. own the all the trademarks what is stopping me from simply using a hex editor to change all those TM'd words to something else? Would I then be able to legally redistribute if I were to replace every reference to an Amiga trademark within the ROM's with some other text? And how much, if any, functionality would I lose?

Even if I cannot legally redistribute them I'm going to do it for my own use anyway, just for a laugh. So there's "Amiga", "Workbench", and "Kickstart" within the ROM's. Are there any I'm forgetting.

Oh and finally, what names should I replace them with? I have a few ideas, but want to hear yours first.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 March 2012, 00:12   #2
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
So if Amiga Inc. own the all the trademarks what is stopping me from simply using a hex editor to change all those TM'd words to something else? Would I then be able to legally redistribute if I were to replace every reference to an Amiga trademark within the ROM's with some other text? And how much, if any, functionality would I lose?

Even if I cannot legally redistribute them I'm going to do it for my own use anyway, just for a laugh. So there's "Amiga", "Workbench", and "Kickstart" within the ROM's. Are there any I'm forgetting.

Oh and finally, what names should I replace them with? I have a few ideas, but want to hear yours first.
Just use Aros kickstart replacement. (68k)
Old 04 March 2012, 00:37   #3
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I'd call them "ElectricStarts" as "Kickstarts" are obsoleet
Old 04 March 2012, 03:33   #4
Akira

You should change Amiga for "Enemiga"
Old 04 March 2012, 07:15   #5
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Just use Aros kickstart replacement. (68k)
Thanks, but I am well aware of 68k AROS and brilliant as it is, that is not the answer to the question.

Besides, I was thinking about something like Kickstart 1.3 or 2.x and AROS is more like WB3.1++.

Whatever I replace these words with will have to be the same length or shorter (with spaces to fill in the blanks) for obvious reasons.

I am a little concerned that some OS friendly software might be expecting to find the work "kickstart" somewhere in the rom, but otherwise can see no reason why it wouldn't work. Can someone tell me if this is the case or not?

Oh, and if I give it logos somewhere (like the disk icon) it'll be a boing cube and a colourful X instead of the ball and tick.

Also does anyone actually own the "Commodore" trademark, I figure I could leave those alone if not.
Old 04 March 2012, 12:14   #6
Akira

I asked about the startup logo before. It's rendered by code, not trivial to change.
Old 04 March 2012, 12:58   #7
cha05e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
So if Amiga Inc. own the all the trademarks what is stopping me from simply using a hex editor to change all those TM'd words to something else? Would I then be able to legally redistribute if I were to replace every reference to an Amiga trademark within the ROM's with some other text?
Whatever you do, whatever you patch, whatever you change - you'll not bypass the copyrights and trademarks.

Old 04 March 2012, 13:01   #8
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha05e90 View Post
Whatever you do, whatever you patch, whatever you change - you'll not bypass the copyrights and trademarks.
Sorry, you are wrong. You do bypass the TRADEMARK if you don't use it. Trademark is the registration of a brand and/or its attached logo. It has nothing to do with copyright or author's right.

What anakirob would do is bypass the trademark, but not the copyright. So his question about distribution is answered by: no, you still cannot redistribute the images, because someone owns the copyright to the actual kickstart ROM, and that someone can still file a lawsuit on your ass.

Counterfeit products kind of work this way.

This is why AROS exists, because the code needs to be rewritten.
Old 05 March 2012, 14:47   #9
sack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
You should change Amiga for "Enemiga"
more appropriate might be to just change it to 'Puta' and let everyone have a go
Old 06 March 2012, 08:51   #10
mombasajoe

How about Megay
Old 06 March 2012, 14:51   #11
kamelito
Zone Friend

IIRC for the kick 1.3 you'd have to add mem through a CLI cmd (addmem) so the OS could use the 1.5MB of memory available in the Spirit memory expansion for the A1000.
A hack exist to add this to the kickstart, the code was located where the routine that draw the logo was.

Kamel
AdSense AdSense